The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Default Replacing a Preamp

Don't know if this is the right area to post this but if not I am sure the mods will move it.

I am a newby to acoustic electric guitars and I have a Epiphone Hummingbird Pro with a Shadow™ ePerformer™ preamp and Shadow NanoFlex™ pickup system.

The preamp has quit working. Cannot even get a low battery light to come on. I have replaced the batteries, took the plugin out and ensured all the wires were tight. Checked with multi-meter, while plugged into amp, and it has a clear signal to the preamp but nothing is coming out to the preamp to the amp.

Checked the pickup under the bridge and it is fine and checks out with continuity.

Can I use a different preamp and still use the Shadow Nanoflex pickup, or do I have to replace the whole setup?

I cannot go to Gibson (Epiphone) for warranty as I bought it used and they only cover the original seller.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement as I cannot even find this one on the Shadow website. I believe they made it a special run for this make of Epiphones.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Picture of preamp

Last edited by okie143; 02-12-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Picture didn't come thru
Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 PM

You should be able to replace the preamp with any onboard preamp from the same, or another, manufacturer. The UST pickup, and its signal, are fairly universal when it comes to what preamps expect to "see".
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the quick info.

I priced a new Shadow preamp and it is almost as much as the guitar cost brand new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair