The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 01-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Default Martin Blanes on the Emerald Synergy Uke (tenor harp ukulele)

Dear all,

Our good friend Martin Blanes (aka Paperkitten), who would be well-known to forum members, visited us in Donegal, Ireland this week.

While he was here he recorded a beautiful traditional Chinese piece on our tenor harp ukulele, the Synergy Uke, to mark the Chinese New Year (January 28).

Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW_8xz9Vqo

We hope you enjoy it.

Best Wishes,

Sean

Martin Blanes Synergy Uke by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Old 02-13-2017, 11:41 PM

Very nice !!

Any idea how those sub-bass strings are tuned?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
Very nice !!

Any idea how those sub-bass strings are tuned?
Hi warndt

We're glad you liked it. So we set the Synergy Uke up with the following tuning: G-C-E-A (tenor uke neck); F-G-A-C (sub bass strings). However, Martin, may have changed for this piece, we will double-check with him.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi warndt

We're glad you liked it. So we set the Synergy Uke up with the following tuning: G-C-E-A (tenor uke neck); F-G-A-C (sub bass strings). However, Martin, may have changed for this piece, we will double-check with him.

Best Wishes,

Sean
I have one of these and find them a great delight. The added sustain is something else. I take the view that this is a tenor uke with four extra strings that I can tune anyway I want. Until there's a need for a bass note, I leave it alone, (same as for my X7 Synergy Harp Guitar.) However, when you do use it, it so enhances what you can add to your playing. They're not only beautiful, they're beautifully made and, being carbon fibre, don't suffer from the problems of heat, humidity and so on. As always, a personal choice, but I love mine.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Thank you very much for your feedback, Urbanmeister!

We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your Synergy Uke! if anyone has questions about our harp ukulele, we are here to answer your questions any time!

Kind regards from all the team at Emerald Guitars,

Sean
Old 09-03-2018, 01:16 AM

As usual, an extraordinary performance by Martin. His talent really shines on this beautiful instrument! Well done Emerald!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanmeister View Post
I have one of these and find them a great delight. The added sustain is something else. I take the view that this is a tenor uke with four extra strings that I can tune anyway I want. Until there's a need for a bass note, I leave it alone, (same as for my X7 Synergy Harp Guitar.) However, when you do use it, it so enhances what you can add to your playing. They're not only beautiful, they're beautifully made and, being carbon fibre, don't suffer from the problems of heat, humidity and so on. As always, a personal choice, but I love mine.
I am dithering between X20, X7 and I guess after seeing Martin do what Martin does so well a uke Synergy. You have two, so which harp guitar/uke would you recommend of the two you have if you could only have one and why? Also I assume the G on the uke is low. For me I play mostly guitar (X20) and have several ukes around the house with the Pono bari-uke getting the most play. I also play a lot of other (mostly non-string) instruments and am looking for something that will be fun to learn how to play for a long time.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

"F-G-A-C (sub bass strings)"

This is how the bass strings are tuned on Martin's very nice linked youtube.

Thank you, Sean, for sharing this link.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar