The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2024, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Interesting read. I also picked up my first 12 string, an x30-12 in the same sale. Mine is also a wood top with lr baggs element.

I have definitely not noticed it being particularly quiet. I went to the Curt Mangans 11-52 set. It defintely exceeds my x20-6 in volume output.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
This was a really interesting review to read! Thank you guitargeorge!

I have always been interested in how jumbo guitars handled volume. The talk-to-me-like-I'm-5 understanding I have is that they have the potential to be very loud due to how large their tops are. A larger top means there's more surface area to vibrate air and push sound across the room. However a large top inherently means more mass, which means more energy has to transfer from the strings into the top to get that mass vibrating. I'm sure I'm all sorts of wrong here, or at least overly simplified, but that's the gist of my understanding. Which is all a big preface to me saying that I understand how it might sound quiet with say, a 25% strum attack level when compared to that same 25% strum attack level on an OM model. However, your experience of having low headroom doesn't resonate with this. (get it? "resonate." are all the dad's laughing?)

I wonder if the 12 string aspect of it is hampering the sound levels. I know that TOO much tension on a top can...stabilize??? the top, making it vibrate less freely. This happens in classical guitar. Some instruments sound much louder with low tension strings vs. high tension strings, and vice versa. Finding the right strings to get the most out of your instrument is always a journey for classicals. Anyhow, that leads me to wonder if 12 strings simply puts too much tension on the top for it to provide the volume you're looking for. - Maybe do a small experiment? Maybe down tune each string a whole step, and see how the sound levels are. If reducing the tension substantially changes the volume, maybe we just stumbled on a controllable parameter that can help get this instrument closer to the ideal.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment btbliatout. I once tried tuning it down a whole step to D. I didn't notice any improvement. In fact, I preferred the standard tuning to E. I will experiment open tunings eventually. Regarding string tension and moving the top, not sure if it applies to carbon fiber.

It's more than just a large top...the whole guitar is big...including depth

I want to mention again, because I think people misunderstand me. I was surprised by the low volume but this is easily solved by amplifying the guitar. I live in an apartment and can't amplify the guitar. The biggest issue for me is lack of headroom, and I don't think there is an easy solution. I've tried different gauge strings and different tunings. I think it is the nature of the beast. I don't know but maybe Emerald designs these guitars for great sustain, even if it means a compromise with volume/headroom.

If I get a chance I would like to compare it with an Emerald 6 string and see how it compares to the 12.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Interesting read. I also picked up my first 12 string, an x30-12 in the same sale. Mine is also a wood top with lr baggs element.

I have definitely not noticed it being particularly quiet. I went to the Curt Mangans 11-52 set. It defintely exceeds my x20-6 in volume output.
I use Curt Mangans on my mahogany guitars and love them. I did'nt think of using them on my X30 12 but based on your comment, I'll give them a try.

So if your 12 string is louder than your 6 string that might kill my theory of it being more about 12 string vs 6 string. How about headroom? Do you notice a difference? How about compared to a wood guitar?

Last edited by guitargeorge; 03-03-2024 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2024, 08:45 PM

Aspiring, regarding the Mangan strings, which are you using? My experience is with the Monels.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeorge View Post
Aspiring, regarding the Mangan strings, which are you using? My experience is with the Monels.
I tried the Mangan coated PB (11-52). The last thing I want to do is change strings on this beast any more than I need to ... Although the Allen key trick worked pretty well for me with the pinless bridge.

I will check the sound differences a little more closely tomorrow. So far I have mostly been getting used to it than really trying to stretch the range on it.

One thing you might look at if you haven't. My first Emerald (x7 nylon) had the baggs and the saddle was not even on the bottom. I've seen a couple other posts where people have run into that. Combined with the element pickup that can rob pure acoustic volume. My x7 picked up about 6 db on my sound meter after I removed the pickup and switched to a bone saddle.

I also noticed that the octave courses on the 5th and 6th string were set in the pinless holes a bit too close together which was definitely causing me some buzz and would possibly rob volume. I fixed mine by using a nut file in the carbon to space them out a little further.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried the Mangan coated PB (11-52). The last thing I want to do is change strings on this beast any more than I need to ... Although the Allen key trick worked pretty well for me with the pinless bridge.

I will check the sound differences a little more closely tomorrow. So far I have mostly been getting used to it than really trying to stretch the range on it.

One thing you might look at if you haven't. My first Emerald (x7 nylon) had the baggs and the saddle was not even on the bottom. I've seen a couple other posts where people have run into that. Combined with the element pickup that can rob pure acoustic volume. My x7 picked up about 6 db on my sound meter after I removed the pickup and switched to a bone saddle.

I also noticed that the octave courses on the 5th and 6th string were set in the pinless holes a bit too close together which was definitely causing me some buzz and would possibly rob volume. I fixed mine by using a nut file in the carbon to space them out a little further.
Oh I have also been running the Mangans a half step down in tuning vs standard .
Old 03-03-2024, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Ok I played around a little bit comparing a few of my guitars. To answer your question according to my sound meter with a pick the x30-12 is maybe 2 db louder than my x20-6 when I strum about as loud as I can go.

I have Woolson Sound sig Doubletop and an Avalon D300A (J45 body shape) that both run about the same as the x30 and my Enya X4 is in a similar range.

Short of it is the x30-12 is not quiet. It is not a massive canon for its size given that it is the biggest body of all the guitars above but it is right up there with the loudest guitars I own.

I do however see your thoughts on dynamic range. I was noticing compared to my other guitars as I paid attention more that it is very difficult to get very soft sounds out of it. It just still responds with moderate volume to the lightest of touches.

My two wood Doubletops (the Woolson and my classical) both clearly have the best dynamic response able to go both low and loud with ease and articulation.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-03-2024 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:

When I changed strings I tried to remove the saddle because I wanted to raise the saddle. My experience with wood acoustics is that a very low saddle can have a negative effect on tone, and with my way of playing, needed a little higher action than most would prefer. With my X30 12 I could not budge the saddle. I thought it was maybe glued in. I contacted Emerald and they told me it was not glued in and just probably a little tight. I did not know that the pickup/saddle situation you mention would affect acoustic sound, so I will check that the next time I change strings.

What kind of meter do you use to measure decibles? I would like to compare my guitars.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I changed strings I tried to remove the saddle because I wanted to raise the saddle. My experience with wood acoustics is that a very low saddle can have a negative effect on tone, and with my way of playing, needed a little higher action than most would prefer. With my X30 12 I could not budge the saddle. I thought it was maybe glued in. I contacted Emerald and they told me it was not glued in and just probably a little tight. I did not know that the pickup/saddle situation you mention would affect acoustic sound, so I will check that the next time I change strings.

What kind of meter do you use to measure decibles? I would like to compare my guitars.
If the saddle is super tight that could also be preventing it from making contact with the bottom reducing the sound.

And yes it should come out.

I used an app on my phone. I don't think it calibrates to an absolute value that well but it showed relative differences. I used sound analyzer on Android.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info Aspiring.

Another pro I neglected to mention is the very easily accessible truss rod adjustment nut...from the headstock. I wish more guitar companies would do this.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:12 AM

Default I May Have Missed the Point, But...

You decided to keep it after 3 weeks because the Pros outweighed the Cons.
Then you listed the Pros and Cons.

But since this was labeled an "in depth" review, I expected to hear more how your opinion changed after continuing to play it for several months.

Also, I was kind of hoping for a conclusion verdict of some sort.

Are you glad you kept it? Has it grown on you? Does the lack of dynamic range make you regret keeping it?

Were there ANY unexpected pleasures you've discovered after the more long-term playing experience?
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 03-04-2024, 11:06 AM

Good questions brainfertilizer,

I am enjoying the guitar and I'm glad I kept it. I like how it sounds and looks (overall). I don't regret keeping it because of the low headroom. I remember as I was making my decision and was holding the guitar, I thought "This guitar has too many great things about it for me to return it."

The final verdict is still out, as I want to try a few more things.

I can't say I discovered any unexpected pleasures. Maybe once I plug it in!

I play 6 strings more than 12 strings but I love having the 12 string for a change in sound. I think carbon fiber makes sense for a 12 string.

Finally, would I buy another Emerald? Probably not. I have a lot of guitars and most of them I bought because I thought they would hold their value and I plan on passing them down to my kids when I kick the bucket. Time will tell if the Emerald holds it's value.

I did ask Emerald (twice) if they could build me a 12-string fan fret. I don't know if the geometry would work. I don't think anyone is making a fan fret 12 string and Emerald could be the first guitarmaker to build such a beast, but I never heard back from them.

I downloaded the Sound Analyzer app Aspiring mentioned. I will do some comparisons with a wood guitar and post the results here. Should be more objective than just relying on my ears.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Good questions brainfertilizer,

I am enjoying the guitar and I'm glad I kept it. I like how it sounds and looks (overall). I don't regret keeping it because of the low headroom. I remember as I was making my decision and was holding the guitar, I thought "This guitar has too many great things about it for me to return it."

The final verdict is still out, as I want to try a few more things.

I can't say I discovered any unexpected pleasures. Maybe once I plug it in!

I play 6 strings more than 12 strings but I love having the 12 string for a change in sound. I think carbon fiber makes sense for a 12 string.

Finally, would I buy another Emerald? Probably not. I have a lot of guitars and most of them I bought because I thought they would hold their value and I plan on passing them down to my kids when I kick the bucket. Time will tell if the Emerald holds it's value.

I did ask Emerald (twice) if they could build me a 12-string fan fret. I don't know if the geometry would work. I don't think anyone is making a fan fret 12 string and Emerald could be the first guitarmaker to build such a beast, but I never heard back from them.

I downloaded the Sound Analyzer app Aspiring mentioned. I will do some comparisons with a wood guitar and post the results here. Should be more objective than just relying on my ears.
Thank you! That helps me put it all in context better!
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 03-04-2024, 04:57 PM

Default It's louder than I thought!

Well I tried a test of the decibles between the X30 12 and some wood quitars that I considered quite loud. The results really surprised me, although I don't know the difference a few decibles makes.

The X30 12 got to 82-84 decibles max.

The wood guitars (all Iris) got to between 85-87 decibles max.

There does not seem to be that much difference!

I think what fooled me was the non-directionality of the Emerald. I would be very interested to hear it in front of the guitar with someone else playing it, but I don't have any guitar playing friends nearby.

I think I need to say, "I stand corrected!"
Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

3 dB is twice the power, but only just perceptible to a human. You might try holding or clamping the meter near your ear to see if it is much different where you are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber