The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-22-2016, 04:35 AM

Default Fender corporate thinking in one screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85...ew?usp=sharing

They made it. It was a big hit. But, apparently not Fendery enought for to stand by it. Now, back to boring business as usual aka stick to the old nostalgic stuff, like Coca Cola bottles and cars with fins...

Now try searching 'Pawn shop' and you get the same result.

This IMO is what's wrong with these big corporations. The money-men and brand builders weed out all that's cool. And we're left off with nostalgia. Simular thinking is apparent in other big corporations like Gibson and Roland and Yamaha, and It's really off putting. I can only imagine what young players make of this wanting to break from the norm.

Last edited by Northward; 12-22-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Given the Spanish definition of "cabronita," I gotta think that someone at Fender still has a sense of humor about this stuff....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Given the Spanish definition of "cabronita," I gotta think that someone at Fender still has a sense of humor about this stuff....
Oh, you are killin' me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
- and they were also spot-on...
Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

hmmmm...a discontinued product? Not sure what the concern is though

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 AM

Gotta remember that Fender's design was incredibly innovative at the time. Gibson and Fender have offered innovative products off and on. The problem is that most of these attempts tank, which is probably more due to the consumer than the corporation. The traditional designs will always sell and are responsible for turning them from humble guitar companies to massive conglomerates.

I'm just glad there are good small builders out there who can accommodate my less than popular needs/specs.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 AM

I like mine. The prior owner installed a betterneck and bridge. I added the TV Jones pickups. Killer tele.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Fender Custom Shop will build it .
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I think the most telling thing in the screenshot is the "Check Out What Others Are Searching For" option. They want to support the "looking over your shoulder" and "what will others think" insecurity thing, hoping that it will encourage sales.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post

They made it. It was a big hit. But, apparently not Fendery enought for to stand by it. Now, back to boring business as usual aka stick to the old nostalgic stuff, like Coca Cola bottles and cars with fins...

This IMO is what's wrong with these big corporations. The money-men and brand builders weed out all that's cool. And we're left off with nostalgia. Simular thinking is apparent in other big corporations like Gibson and Roland and Yamaha, and It's really off putting. I can only imagine what young players make of this wanting to break from the norm.
Instead of complaining about things that don't affect you to a group of people you don't really know, perhaps you should show Fender how the big corporation you run is profiting from periodically dumping your sales leaders and focusing on selling things nobody is buying.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:

If you made a few hundred of these and can't give them away, you'd discontinue them too. While cool, it's not something that's viable or makes sense in their lineup right now. I'm sure the Custom Shop would gladly build you one, and that's how it should be. Then, it's cool, because it would be truly one-off.

I think the Guthrie Govan model Charvel is the greatest Strat that Fender has made, from a functional and sonic standpoint. But there are many people that would cringe at a RECESSED Floyd (non fine-tuner at that).
Old 12-23-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Gotta remember that Fender's design was incredibly innovative at the time. Gibson and Fender have offered innovative products off and on. The problem is that most of these attempts tank, which is probably more due to the consumer than the corporation. The traditional designs will always sell and are responsible for turning them from humble guitar companies to massive conglomerates.
You're right of course. I just wish they embraced this innovative legacy much more and little less resting on your laurels. Expression of indivduality is one of the best things with music, as signature models prove in a big way. But not all wants to copy their heroes that way. Pawn Shop was a breath of fresh air, as was the Cabronitas (the latter must have some kind of record in DIY projects). But I guess these things don't allways add up for a maximized business plan. They probably know what they're doing, but we're not obliged to like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm just glad there are good small builders out there who can accommodate my less than popular needs/specs.
Glad to hear it. Where I live there is very limited options without really splashing out on a Lutiers build. Warmoth is pretty great and offers alot of options without the need to pawn a kidney :-) Fender should have something like it with all their models -now that would have been pretty amazing.

Let me just say, I enjoy iconic products as well as the next man, but more than that I get fascinated by rare birds.

Last edited by Northward; 12-23-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I think the most telling thing in the screenshot is the "Check Out What Others Are Searching For" option. They want to support the "looking over your shoulder" and "what will others think" insecurity thing, hoping that it will encourage sales.

Bob
I think you're spot on here.

Last edited by Northward; 12-23-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear it. Where I live there is very limited options without really splashing out on a Lutiers build. Warmoth is pretty great and offers alot of options without the need to pawn a kidney :-) Fender should have something like it with all their models -now that would have been pretty amazing.

Let me just say, I enjoy iconic products as well as the next man, but more than that I get fascinated by rare birds.
The US has a good amount of independent luthiers. I'm usually able to get something extremely nice for less than 1/2 what Fender would want to charge with their custom shop.

The funny thing is that I saw Fender selling Strats and Teles with inlaid pick guards about a year later.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

S2Y, beautiful T. Three pickup Teles' are my favorites and that one has a B bender to boot! Is it yours and who is the builder? -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars