The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

I just scored a MINT QSC K10 with QSC Tote bag today for $500. Took it straight to a gig. My car was already loaded with a single K12. So I used them both tonight. Holy cow!! K12 on Stand on one side and the K10 was on a low brick ledge slightly behind me on the other side. I was hearing things with Clarity tonight that I've never heard. The Audience was very appreciative as I made $94 in tips. I think part of that was because I sounded so good (to me), I got into it just a little more. What a great night! Now I want a matching K10 so I can just take a pair. They are the perfect size/weight/power and can angled as monitors too. Good stuff! Time will tell just how much the K10 makes me happy. But what a great deal. The guy I bough if from locally swears it was never gigged or used. Looked brand spanking new to me!

I noticed a little deeper low-end from the K12, but the K10 sounds awesome for acoustic guitar and vocals sound perhaps just a bit more tight and clear. (to my ears) ...and even though the K10 is not much smaller than the K12, it sure fits in my car better and is much easier to carry!

I am doing another Solo acoustic/vocal gig Saturday night. I'm gonna take the K10 and give it a spin all by itself. I expect it will work great!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 PM

OK, I say stay with what works..... If the K12 and K10 together did the trick.... Keep it that way.

Okay, by the way, I own the K10 and love it mated to my Fishman Loudbox 100. What a F*^&ing great combination. I will not change it. But please experiment and let us know... I am open to new things.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I played the Solo Acoustic guitar/Vocal gig Friday night with the K10 by itself. People seemed to really like the sound. I think I notice just a little less low-end, but I also think I notice a possibly sweeter vocal midrange clarity. All in all, if you're not comparing, I don't think you'll miss much using just a K10, or pair of K10's. I briefly tried engaging the sub switch, but found I could dial up a little bass EQ on my Allen&Heath Zed 10FX mixer with similar results. All in all, it worked very well. I am very pleased.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting thread. I first became interested in the QSC K10s and K12s last year when I got my DigiDesign ElevenRack guitar preamp unit and lots of guys with that unit (and the Fractal Axe-Fx) are using these speakers. I have yet to pull the trigger on one, but am getting closer. Especially since I've now completely switched music directions and plan to go out and do a solo Nuevo Flamenco act where I play along with backing tracks that I'm recording. Hope to add real band members as this thing gets rolling, but plenty happy to just have it be me, a laptop, and a decent PA for starters.

When I was still doing the hard rock thing, the K12s seemed to be the answer. But now that I'll be doing the solo acoustic deal, I may start with a K10 or two and see how that goes. Could always add a sub down the road if need be. Just wondering if the K10s have the grunt to handle some high-energy flamenco type stuff both inside larger rooms and outdoors. Sure sounds like it based on what I'm reading here.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM

the k 10 handles my sometimes aggressive 7 string guitar playing going down to g below guitar e.
i also have a k12 which goes a little farther but disburses a little less widely
in my 16 x 22 foot studio, the k10 exhibits more bass because of the dispersal though i'm sure the k 12 has more bass in a larger setting
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.youtube.com/brokenpretzel
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
the k 10 handles my sometimes aggressive 7 string guitar playing going down to g below guitar e.
i also have a k12 which goes a little farther but disburses a little less widely
in my 16 x 22 foot studio, the k10 exhibits more bass because of the dispersal though i'm sure the k 12 has more bass in a larger setting
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.youtube.com/brokenpretzel
Good to know. I may just go for the K10s then. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Very interesting thread. I first became interested in the QSC K10s and K12s last year when I got my DigiDesign ElevenRack guitar preamp unit and lots of guys with that unit (and the Fractal Axe-Fx) are using these speakers. I have yet to pull the trigger on one, but am getting closer. Especially since I've now completely switched music directions and plan to go out and do a solo Nuevo Flamenco act where I play along with backing tracks that I'm recording. Hope to add real band members as this thing gets rolling, but plenty happy to just have it be me, a laptop, and a decent PA for starters.

When I was still doing the hard rock thing, the K12s seemed to be the answer. But now that I'll be doing the solo acoustic deal, I may start with a K10 or two and see how that goes. Could always add a sub down the road if need be. Just wondering if the K10s have the grunt to handle some high-energy flamenco type stuff both inside larger rooms and outdoors. Sure sounds like it based on what I'm reading here.
I need to use my K10 in more settings alone to make the final call. If you don't compare the K10 to a K12, I think you'll be thrilled with the sound. If you compare, you will hear a little more low end information. (based on one gig with the K10 alone, and another with the K10 and K12. ...I walked back and forth in front of each speaker and the K12 did seem to play a little more low end information)

Ultimately, the pristine tonal performance of the K10 is so splendid, I want the matching speaker. I think the size is just PERFECT. The K12's are not that much bigger, but a pair of K10's fits a very sweet spot for overall size/weight/performance/versatility!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I need to use my K10 in more settings alone to make the final call. If you don't compare the K10 to a K12, I think you'll be thrilled with the sound. If you compare, you will hear a little more low end information. (based on one gig with the K10 alone, and another with the K10 and K12. ...I walked back and forth in front of each speaker and the K12 did seem to play a little more low end information)

Ultimately, the pristine tonal performance of the K10 is so splendid, I want the matching speaker. I think the size is just PERFECT. The K12's are not that much bigger, but a pair of K10's fits a very sweet spot for overall size/weight/performance/versatility!
Eggsalent... thanks for the info. Basically... it sounds like you can't go wrong with either. Just a matter of what deals are around when you buy!

ETA: Something I forgot to ask. So there's no question that the K12s have some more low-end to them. But do the K10s sound a little crisper? Maybe a little more hi-fi and punchy that way?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Eggsalent... thanks for the info. Basically... it sounds like you can't go wrong with either. Just a matter of what deals are around when you buy!

ETA: Something I forgot to ask. So there's no question that the K12s have some more low-end to them. But do the K10s sound a little crisper? Maybe a little more hi-fi and punchy that way?
Yes, I felt the K10 was slightly crisper, and perhaps had a bit more of a pristine tonality. Maybe because of the 10" driver and also the wider dispersion of the horn. Not sure why, but the K10 offers a wonderful sound. I read elsewhere that some people feel the K10's actually sound better. For Vocals, this may very well be true.

When I get motivated, I'll setup both the K12 and K10 at home and ask someone else to offer their opinions. I find it harder sometimes to make a judgement call when I am distracted with actively performing. If that makes sense? I like to be able to simply focus and listen closely.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I felt the K10 was slightly crisper, and perhaps had a bit more of a pristine tonality. Maybe because of the 10" driver and also the wider dispersion of the horn. Not sure why, but the K10 offers a wonderful sound. I read elsewhere that some people feel the K10's actually sound better. For Vocals, this may very well be true.

When I get motivated, I'll setup both the K12 and K10 at home and ask someone else to offer their opinions. I find it harder sometimes to make a judgement call when I am distracted with actively performing. If that makes sense? I like to be able to simply focus and listen closely.
Cool... that would be great!

Yeah... that totally makes sense. When I'm playing it's impossible for me to step-back and REALLY HEAR what I am doing objectively. That's pretty much the case for most everyone and why so many pros recommend recording yourself. It's like looking in the mirror or a picture of yourself. A friend and I were both huge Bogner tube amplifier fans and always talked about enjoying having each other play through our own rigs so we could actually hear what they really sounded like. Too bad I actually sold my Bogner the day I joined this forum. Putting all of my eggs in the acoustic basket and buying a high-end crossover. Hopefully I'll have it secured this weekend.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
I played the Solo Acoustic guitar/Vocal gig Friday night with the K10 by itself. People seemed to really like the sound. I think I notice just a little less low-end, but I also think I notice a possibly sweeter vocal midrange clarity. All in all, if you're not comparing, I don't think you'll miss much using just a K10, or pair of K10's. I briefly tried engaging the sub switch, but found I could dial up a little bass EQ on my Allen&Heath Zed 10FX mixer with similar results. All in all, it worked very well. I am very pleased.
Sub switch is for use with a sub, it would lower your bass response coming out of the K10. Did you mean the "Deep" switch?

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodinsane View Post
Sub switch is for use with a sub, it would lower your bass response coming out of the K10. Did you mean the "Deep" switch?
Yes, Meant Deep Switch, not external sub.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM

I tried all of the QSC's, and they are great. But I ended up going with the Mackie HD1221's and they are just unreal. It's all personal preference and the QSC's are great no doubt, but I prefer the Mackie HD1221's to the K12's. They were clearer and also had better bass than the K12's. I had a few guys with me that know their stuff and they were all convinced the Mackie HD1221's sounded better than the QSC K12's or K10's. And for sure with a band, they would be even better because they can be cranked up to blow the roof off a normal sized gig environment and you don't lose a thing.

For anyone considering PA's I urge you to take a look and listen to the Mackie HD1221's. They are fantastic and I love mine.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneff View Post
I tried all of the QSC's, and they are great. But I ended up going with the Mackie HD1221's and they are just unreal. It's all personal preference and the QSC's are great no doubt, but I prefer the Mackie HD1221's to the K12's. They were clearer and also had better bass than the K12's. I had a few guys with me that know their stuff and they were all convinced the Mackie HD1221's sounded better than the QSC K12's or K10's. And for sure with a band, they would be even better because they can be cranked up to blow the roof off a normal sized gig environment and you don't lose a thing.

For anyone considering PA's I urge you to take a look and listen to the Mackie HD1221's. They are fantastic and I love mine.
I don't doubt that the Mackie HD's are great. But how HEAVY and big are they? To me, the size/weight/performance and tone of the QSC K10 and K12's hit a sweet spot without killing my back or making loading and unloading a chore I loathe.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that the Mackie HD's are great. But how HEAVY and big are they? To me, the size/weight/performance and tone of the QSC K10 and K12's hit a sweet spot without killing my back or making loading and unloading a chore I loathe.
Mackie HD1221: 50 lb., plywood cabinet

QSC K12: 41 lb., ABS (plastic) molded cabinet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification