The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Default Finding new songs to play?

I have not been on her long but maybe one of you can point me in the right direction. I played guitar heavily in my teens and was a proficient player and put it down for 5 to 6 years. I am now in my late 20s and just picked up my first guitar in a couple years (Taylor 814ce) and am looking for new stuff to play. I am sick of all the old rock/classic rock/metal/blues and am looking at a more progressive sound. Can anyone point me at some new inspiring acoustic players. It can be mainstream or not it doesn't matter, maybe a YouTube channel.

Thanks

P.S. There is a lot of good stuff in the classifieds and it could get me in trouble.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Really it depends on your taste and your skill level. I would approach it by just thinking of any song you really like, and learning that. Even if it isn't an acoustic guitar song.

For some ideas, idk, maybe some Coldplay, or John Mayer, or some ed sheehan, or some clapton unplugged, or some Nirvana unplugged, or some more R&B style stuff, maybe thugz mansion, or some Michael Jackson, or if you want to learn some acoustic pieces that use open strings and stuff like that, checkout the candy rat record label. There are lots of guys there that play solo guitar, usually set pieces in alternate tunings, and they use techniques like body slaps, and fingertaps etcetera.

There really is so much music out there, and basically any song can be cool on an acoustic guitar, if you do it right. Your taste is likely different from mine, so it's hard to suggest things. But I'm sure you have a playlist with songs in it that you listen to. Learn some of those.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:40 PM

It may sound weird, but I get so many ideas of songs for me to learn and play from watching shows like The Voice, X Factor and American Idol. I found Amos Lee's "Arms of a Woman" by watching American Idol. I had never heard the song before and was immediately taken by it. In turn I then discovered Amos Lee, a great artist that I was unfamiliar with.

Another song I found was "Say Something" by A Great Big World. Alex and Sierra did a wonderful cover of it on X Factor. I had not heard of the song or the authors of the song (A Great Big World) before I heard Alex and Sierra's version of it on X Factor.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write