The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2018, 03:35 AM

Default K&K Trinity Pro / Bose L1 with T1 - EQ Settings?

Hi

I've just had a Trinity Pro fitted to my Martin OM-42 - and it sounds good!

I'm thinking that with some further tweaking of the EQ it could sound even better, so I'm hoping that people with the same combination of Trinity Pro with a Bose L1 and T1 mixer might be able to share their own settings?

I'm particulary keen to know if there are any effective setttings for the zEQ on the Bose that helps with the sound.

Here's a picture of the internal trim pots in the K&K preamp that I am currently using. I am running the outputs into the T1 set flat.

Many thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM

I think the key is to do your EQ in one device. So, either keep the preamp or the PA flat. Multiple stages of EQ have always caused me problems. Especially, when you are trying to trouble shoot.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Dave,

Thanks - as above - "I am running the outputs into the T1 set flat".

The zEQ is more for dialling out troublesome frequency areas, not actually shaping the tone.

Andy
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think the key is to do your EQ in one device. So, either keep the preamp or the PA flat. Multiple stages of EQ have always caused me problems. Especially, when you are trying to trouble shoot.
To expand on this, if you are using more than one set of EQ filters it's important to know the parameters of each filter and whether they compliment each other (regardless of device) or are redundant. Sometimes, filters in one device will be the same as in the second device. Sometimes not. For example, device #1 may have a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz. If device #2 has a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz, then the two filters are quite redundant. However, if the filter in device #1 is a shelving filter with a corner frequency of 100Hz and device #2 has a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz, then the filters will act quite differently and it may be useful to use both at the same time.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
To expand on this, if you are using more than one set of EQ filters it's important to know the parameters of each filter and whether they compliment each other (regardless of device) or are redundant. Sometimes, filters in one device will be the same as in the second device. Sometimes not. For example, device #1 may have a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz. If device #2 has a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz, then the two filters are quite redundant. However, if the filter in device #1 is a shelving filter with a corner frequency of 100Hz and device #2 has a bell filter with a center frequency set at 100Hz, then the filters will act quite differently and it may be useful to use both at the same time.
This is outside of my pay grade, but thank you for taking the time to post it.

As per my original question, does anybody have any real world suggestions for actual parameters that I should try dialling in??

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Default K&K Trinity Pro / Bose L1 with T1 - EQ Settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
This is outside of my pay grade, but thank you for taking the time to post it.

As per my original question, does anybody have any real world suggestions for actual parameters that I should try dialling in??

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to dial PA system flat and then adjust your pickup to your taste.

For instance, many folks with K&K system like to boost the treble (a weak area for K&K) and cut the mids (which tend to be very present). Boosting or cutting bass is a matter of preference, not compensation. The K&K usually has plenty of bass set flat. But, some players like more bass when playing solo. Some like less bass when playing with a band to avoid muddying the mix.

As far as the mic channel, start with the mic set flat. The more mic you use in the mix, the more chance for feedback, and the more bass you should cut. Some people only use the mic to add “air” (higher frequencies missing from the pickup) and some want air and “body” or low frequency resonance. Start flat and decide for yourself.

It is unlikely that anyone can tell which dial settings to use because we don’t have your ears. :-)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

You did not mention which of the Tomematch presets you were using for your system?

For my Anthem SL-equipped guitars, I use the "overall" FLAT setting; there is another "flat" setting in the acoustic guitar section, but I use the one that's in the overall category.

I dial them in from there using the zEQ and the parametric, if necessary (currently not necessary with my Bose L1 Model II or my AER Compact 60).

One thing I have neglected to do is to actually follow the advice that many folks, including the techs at Bose, give on finding the "right" preset... and that would be to TRY THEM ALL!!! One at a time, until I find the one (ones?) that give me what I want from my acoustic sound. This would require having the rig set up and playing at a decent volume level, and I don't have that luxury in my current home.

But that is the route to go if you really want to find out "what works" for your pickup and guitar... the standard line is "You just never know what may work for you", so I would go further than just listening to the acoustic guitar settings... it will take some time, but it seems worth it, especially if you are not all that happy with what you've currently got.

Don't have any specific zEQ tips for that pickup, although I will say that it's taken me a few years to realize that I may have to CRANK the value on a particular frequency a lot before I hear what I want... the gradation is very fine on those controls...

Good luck! Let us know what works for you!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification