The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2018, 04:09 PM

Nice Gibby there. My 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio came with Burstbucker pickups, which are great, and they look an awful lot like yours.

Try lowering the height of the pickups on the low E side (using the screw on the outboard side of each pickup). You can also adjust the individual slugs under the low E string on both pickups. See if that helps lower the volume.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I think you now need to buy an electric guitar amplifier to match your new electric guitar.
Ding! Ding! Ding!...We have a winner!

My thoughts exactly. That, plus have someone who knows electrics and amps help me out.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 02-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
It weighs 7.8 lbs.

I do not know anything about electrics...I am playing it through my little ULTRASOUND acoustic amp. The bass E string is so much louder than the other 5. I cannot find a combination of switch position and volume/tone controls that will bring the volume even across all strings.
What a difference in weight. My Studio is 10.4 lbs, which is more than my Standard, which is 9.6.

Regarding the volume difference with the bass E string - is it on both pickups or just one? You might need to lower the bass part of the pickup a bit. I wonder if the acoustic amp is emphasizing the bass?
Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Ding! Ding! Ding!...We have a winner!

My thoughts exactly. That, plus have someone who knows electrics and amps help me out.
I didn't mean to sound unhelpful, the advice to adjust your pickup height is good and it might work ok for you. I looked up Ultrasound amps and they are designed for piezo pickups so you won't get the best out of your electric guitar with it.

You don't have to spend a fortune on an electric guitar amp but it is an important part of your sound.

Lovely guitar and light for a Les Paul. My Squier Classic Vibe Tele is 9 pounds.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM

For amps, forget solid state and go tubes.
Practice bedroom amp, small band amp, monster blow your hair off amp - what are your needs?
I have a 100W Marshall JCM 2000 half stack, way more amp than I can use at the moment but I won't live in this neighborhood forever.
Hit a Guitar Center and see what will work for you.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Only a tube amp will do? Best to ignore absolutes such as that ... they mean nothing to you. If you find a solid state amp that you like, buy it. If you find a tube amp that you like, buy that instead. Pay no attention to absolutes ... in the realm of what works best for YOU, it is only your opinion that matters.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Only a tube amp will do? Best to ignore absolutes such as that ... they mean nothing to you. If you find a solid state amp that you like, buy it. If you find a tube amp that you like, buy that instead. Pay no attention to absolutes ... in the realm of what works best for YOU, it is only your opinion that matters.
I will start looking for an amp a$ $oon a$ the $$$ become available.
Hopefully GC will allow me to bring my LP in the store to do the A/B/C/D... testing
I just want something to practice with, not too many bells and whistles. I may take it out of the house to a friends or something...but that would be really rare.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I can not recommend the Vox AV series highly enough. I have the AV30 (note, that's a v, not a c. Totally different things). A bedroom-only player could probably be happy with the AV15.

I'm stunned by how much amp these are for how little they cost. They're hybrid amps - basically think of them as a tube amp connected to a solid state amp, in such a way that you can get all the power-amp saturation you want (which is the key to gorgeous edge-of-distortion electric guitar tones) at any volume in the amp's range. It's a total game-changer since with pure tube amps you can usually only get great tones by cranking them up.

The other great thing about these amps is that the analog emulation does a great job of mimicking the sound of classic amps. I set it to the vintage Marshall or AC30 top boost settings (they're not labelled as such, but you can find the discussion online - Vox isn't hiding that information, they're just not allowed to say it out loud) and I hear some of my favorite recordings. Sparkling cleans? Set it to the fender blackface setting. Darker cleans? They've got a bassman setting. High gain? I'm not a 5150 afficianado, but i was pretty impressed.

And the AV30 is only like $350 and only like 25 pounds.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-10-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 PM

Les Pauls are cool guitars - no doubt about that. Majorly iconic instrument. Welcome to the fold.

AMPS
VOX AC10 is a great small amp and not too costly - waay more than enough for a bedroom guitarist. (Master & gain controls, reverb, tube tone.)

Yamaha THR-10 is a STELLAR practice amp, great digital interface to computer, awesome array of digital effects, has remarkably awesome tone, and surprisingly potent volume. Perfect for the bedroom/guitar room, or on the go (can also run on eight AA batteries!)

I use my THR-10 far more than any of my other, larger amps. But I'm not playing in a band.

PICKUPS
Pickups in the LP Studio are easy to upgrade to a wide variety of options, if you're not thrilled with the 490s. Gibson Classic '57s, Burstbuckers, PAFs, even P90-like pickups await you, should you seek them.

PEDALS
Want an amazing pedal that gives a really wonderful and subtle tone quality, with great sustain? Buy a Compressor! (I never play electric without compression.)

COMFORT
If the high weight and body-heavy balance of the Les Paul bother you while playing sitting, use a shoulder strap to help with that.

If you play sitting most or all of the time (as I do) and the Les Paul weight and body-heavy balance wear on you, buy a Tele, Strat, or an ES-339 and you'll enjoy the sitting-while-playing experience infinitely more.

Last edited by DHart; 02-10-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 AM

There should be no problem with Guitar Center letting you bring your guitar in. You'll hear the one you like with a bit of fooling around. Vox, Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Orange - whole bunch of good ones out there.

If you go in on a weekday morning you won't be fighting a whole bunch of other people doing the exact same thing.

FWIW my next purchase will be a 2x12 50W Marshall combo one of my buddies has had for decades. If you like the Marshall sound you'll be pretty disappointed with their solid state offerings, I got suckered into two of them and they both got sold off pretty quickly.

Get a decent cord and a wide strap and off you go.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFord0 View Post
There should be no problem with Guitar Center letting you bring your guitar in. You'll hear the one you like with a bit of fooling around. Vox, Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Orange - whole bunch of good ones out there.

If you go in on a weekday morning you won't be fighting a whole bunch of other people doing the exact same thing.

FWIW my next purchase will be a 2x12 50W Marshall combo one of my buddies has had for decades. If you like the Marshall sound you'll be pretty disappointed with their solid state offerings, I got suckered into two of them and they both got sold off pretty quickly.

Get a decent cord and a wide strap and off you go.
+1. I've always found visiting a guitar store on a week day when they open (10 or 11am) is the best time. Sometimes on the week-ends too if you're there at opening.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Les Paul

Studio is probably the best bang for the buck in the LP family. Only thing that discouraged me from one was there was no binding. Seems like most guitars take a hit on the corners. Then again, every ding has a story that goes with it! Best of luck with your new LP! +1 on the tube amp, you'll never regret it!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the replies and help...Lord knows I need the help.

I have read a bunch of amp reviews and listened to several YT vids (which are not as real a representation as an in person demo) I think I will start with looking into the Vox AV series and Orange, Crush series and see what Marshall and Fender have to offer in my $$ range. This will most likely not be for a few weeks though. In the meantime, I think I can borrow an amp from the friend that sold me the LP...he has many.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars