The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD: Harbinger MuV MLS800 Line Array PA System with Bluetooth

This came together really quick! We recently got our first gig playing an acoustic brunch at a local cafe. Big room, long with high ceilings. I knew we needed more amp than our Carvin AG200. One option was to add a second cab to it. But I'd been really interested in the line array systems like the Bose L1C and similar systems so many rave about, especially their ability fill a room with great sound with great clarity and no need for monitors or worry about feedback. Right about this time someone here posted about the Harbinger MLS800 systems being blown out at GC for $299. I went to the local GC and A/B'd them against each for all of a half hour and I was impressed with the Harbinger. I actually liked it better. It was louder and clearer than the Bose. It was also $800 cheaper. I bought the last one they had.

We practiced with it last weekend at home and it was okay but it was clear that we needed something for more inputs, EQ and some effects. I looked at a few of the guitar/vocal systems out there like the VE8 and AD10 but all of them missed that critical extra vocal input. They were also expensive. In the end I went with a very simple, very basic Behringer mixer, the Xenyx 1202FX. $99. It was a bold move but we practiced with the new system Saturday for a few hours and got it dialed in. We were able to set it up and sound check that night and really check it out in the large room. I was again impressed and felt comfortable with using it for such an important gig - our first - with so little time with it the next morning, today.

It worked perfectly. The sound was great. The highs were really clear and the lows powerful. I needed to engage the low pass on the mixer for the Emerald X20. We loved being able to turn it up and stand virtually next to it with no feedback issues. People out in the cafe reported that everything sounded really good. I can see where people have concerns about this unit as potentially being fragile with the column array assembly. Time will tell. But I've got to say, for the $400 invested between the Harbinger and the Behringer, it's an entry-level system that for us is a perfect introduction to the joys of the line array-type systems. I'll post a few photos of the setup from the gig.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Photos

Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Well, that seems like quite a good deal. Hey, you pulled-off your first pro gig in a great way. Kudos!

Your X20 coco looks great. Recently, I sold my 6/12 coco Chimaera. I now have a Blackbird Savoy, with an X20 (non-woody) on order.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Glad you found something that works for you - and at a great price. And, another "Wowser!" on that beautiful X20!

Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM

For your application, its a good choice. Where the cheaper speakers (like Harbinger) suffer is when you have to crank up the volume, this is when the harshness and distortion come out.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-05-2018, 12:31 PM

When I had a Bose L1C I never had any luck positioning in a corner, as it always emitted low-end boominess. Placing it away from any corners improved the sound immensely.
If it works well for you, that’s great.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
When I had a Bose L1C I never had any luck positioning in a corner, as it always emitted low-end boominess. Placing it away from any corners improved the sound immensely.
If it works well for you, that’s great.
I did have some low end with the guitar which I cured by engaging the low pass on the mixer and dialing out the lows a bit more. Unfortunately for this venue, this is our spot. Suck in a corner and the bar only several feet in front of us. But the low end still manages to get to the back of the room, surprisingly well. Go figure.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
For your application, its a good choice. Where the cheaper speakers (like Harbinger) suffer is when you have to crank up the volume, this is when the harshness and distortion come out.
I'm really looking forward to summer so I can put it out on the back deck and crank it. I barely had it at 25% at the gig. In the store I cranked it up to 50% (same on the Bose) and it was still really clear. More so than the Bose which was muddy.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Congrats OP, that's great, and thanks for the photos. I was looking at that mixer btw and I'm glad to hear it pulls its weight.

Way to go on the gig!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Congrats OP, that's great, and thanks for the photos. I was looking at that mixer btw and I'm glad to hear it pulls its weight.

Way to go on the gig!
Thanks. One note about the mixer: The most common complaint on Amazon reviews about this mixer what it got very hot with use. I have now used it twice for extended sessions and it did not get hot at all using three inputs.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-07-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 AM

Whew !

Now the stress is over, you're ready to relax and play.

Congrats !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Nice to hear you are enjoying yours, I'm glad I was able to get my hands on one of these while they were available cheap. What a deal, no regrets on this purchase. Whole lotta fun and great sound / both guitar, vocals and canned music. It's found a home in my family room..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification