The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Can you suggest a decent Wah pedal

Just bought a Dunlop original Cry Baby 2 weeks ago. It's already broken after just two gigs. Taking it back tonight. Saw lots of complaints online about same problem I experienced. Can you reccomend a good alternative. Curious as to what others are using successfully for live gigging
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Gosh I've had the same Dunlop Cry Baby since about 1995. I've always thought I could drop that thing off the roof and it would be fine. Maybe they don't make them like they used to but it's pretty much been the standard for a long time. Vox puts out a Wah, Fulltone gets good reviews, Budda, or the unique Morley design.

I have an old Morley and it's actually one of my favorites.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I still have an old 70's Crybaby that I've had since new, still works fine, it's bullet-proof and I used to gig with it all the time, but I didn't realize how *much* better a wah can be until I bought a Fulltone Clyde Standard. Far less added noise, more range, much better sound. All wahs are not created equal.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM

I appreciate the replies. I guess I'm looking for something that is currently available for sale in the marketplace. I don't have the means to hunt around for vintage. From what I have seen, lots of review disappointment on the original cry baby. I bought this two aka ago new. It's squealing, crushed my volume mid gig, and now doesn't work when you push it down. But is has a lovely squeal in the up position. I'm hesitant to swap it for the same. They don't make em like they used to. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the replies. Thank you!
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Wow I guess they don’t build them like they used to. My uncle has one from the 70’s and that thing is built like a tank!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuitar View Post
I appreciate the replies. I guess I'm looking for something that is currently available for sale in the marketplace. I don't have the means to hunt around for vintage. From what I have seen, lots of review disappointment on the original cry baby. I bought this two aka ago new. It's squealing, crushed my volume mid gig, and now doesn't work when you push it down. But is has a lovely squeal in the up position. I'm hesitant to swap it for the same. They don't make em like they used to. Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the replies. Thank you!
I had a Clyde Deluxe (Fulltone), great wah. You can't go wrong with it. Stayed on my board for years until I replaced it with...wait for it...a Crybaby Mini. Saves space on my board, sounds great, and built like a tank. And honestly, although I cetainly don't in any way doubt your story, you're nor going to find a more reliable wah than a Crybaby, at least in my experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 PM

What Jeffrey AK said: Fulltone Clyde Wah!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Do you know what part broke on the Dunlop Wah? Just curious.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Fulltone is sort of the "top of the heap" in terms of widely-accessible wah pedals. They're a bit pricey, but worth it.

I use a standard Vox V847 wah, based on the original wah "Clyde McCoy" pedal. It's nothing special, but it does the job. Easily found on the used market for a good price, or brand new for about $100.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Dunlop 535Q- adjustable wah sound, boost up to 18 db....best most configureable wah I have used.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Dunlop 535Q- adjustable wah sound, boost up to 18 db....best most configureable wah I have used.
i have 3. the dunlop 535q is the most versatile with the adjustable range, adjustable q, adjustable tone and the boost button, which i don't use. i also have a morley power wah and a 70s thomas organ but i prefer the dunlop 535q.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Do you know what part broke on the Dunlop Wah? Just curious.
Honestly I don't know. I played two gigs with it and used it on a couple of songs. I went into the crybaby-then Korg pitchblack-then into the front end of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5v35 head. On Saturday I played a show with our 6 piece band. Lost volume about 4 song in. The I switch to distortion and that was funky sounding. I thought it was amp till I hooked everything back up last night. Turned out to be wah. Wouldn't engage the wah sound (I clicked the toe switch on) on the down stroke. When I rocked pedal back up it squealed horribly. Was distorting the clean channel. I changed cables. Nothing. Then pulled it out of chain and amp was fine. I read numerous complaints online about similar problems. Tonight I brought it back to guitar center, I was willing to try another. They didnt have anymore and I need something by Friday. So, I got a refund (purchased 11/12). I looked at the crybaby mini but it felt small and awkward under my foot. I will investigate other's suggestions. Thanks for the help all.
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I had a Clyde Deluxe (Fulltone), great wah. You can't go wrong with it. Stayed on my board for years until I replaced it with...wait for it...a Crybaby Mini. Saves space on my board, sounds great, and built like a tank. And honestly, although I cetainly don't in any way doubt your story, you're nor going to find a more reliable wah than a Crybaby, at least in my experience.
How's the throw on the mini? The one I tried felt like you had to rock your foot back and forth a lot. I.e.: long throw forward and backward
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Don't use a WAH personally but I have an original limited run Soul Driven AH from Xotic which is a great pedal.

I know one guy that loves and swears by his Exotic wah.....Not cheap made in California
There are some review videos at this link also

http://xotic.us/effects/xotic-wah

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuitar View Post
Honestly I don't know. I played two gigs with it and used it on a couple of songs. I went into the crybaby-then Korg pitchblack-then into the front end of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5v35 head. On Saturday I played a show with our 6 piece band. Lost volume about 4 song in. The I switch to distortion and that was funky sounding. I thought it was amp till I hooked everything back up last night. Turned out to be wah. Wouldn't engage the wah sound (I clicked the toe switch on) on the down stroke. When I rocked pedal back up it squealed horribly. Was distorting the clean channel. I changed cables. Nothing. Then pulled it out of chain and amp was fine. I read numerous complaints online about similar problems. Tonight I brought it back to guitar center, I was willing to try another. They didnt have anymore and I need something by Friday. So, I got a refund (purchased 11/12). I looked at the crybaby mini but it felt small and awkward under my foot. I will investigate other's suggestions. Thanks for the help all.
Too bad about that. I take it you played the rest of the set with a 'funky' sound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars