The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-21-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi IPA! ...

Regarding my recording method, yes, I am recording the audio separately from the video and then synching the tracks up later in a video editing program. By doing this, I can get much higher quality audio, which is very important to me, personally.

I have two small diaphragm condenser mics, Rhode NT5 but with optional omni capsules used, panned full left and right on the guitar. I use a large diaphragm condenser vocal mic, an Audio Technica AT4050. These 3 mics go through tube preamps and then into an audio interface into my computer where I use Steinberg Cubase for recording the voice and the two guitar channels. I mix this down to a 2-track master as a wave file and then import that into the video editing program, which is Adobe Premier Elements.

I am using 3 canon video cameras. Once I start the audio recording program and all 3 cameras I sit down in front of the cameras and make a loud hand clap. Then I record the song. Later I can trim all the audio and video files to the very beginning of that hand clap and synchronize everything in the video editing program. Once everything is sycned up properly, I erase the audio channels from the video cameras, which sound pretty lousy compared to the Cubase audio recording.

I hope all that makes sense. If you need more information, please PM me and I will be glad to help further.

Regards,
Glenn
Thanks for the info, Glenn. I makes perfect sense. I have an old M-Audio Fast Track interface that I haven't used in a long time and that I recently discovered is incompatible with newer operating systems. Buying a new unit is on my to-do list.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 09-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Thanks for the info, Glenn. I makes perfect sense. I have an old M-Audio Fast Track interface that I haven't used in a long time and that I recently discovered is incompatible with newer operating systems. Buying a new unit is on my to-do list.
Best of luck on this IPA. I sent you a PM with considerably more detail. Let me know what you decide to do.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Very good work Glenn!!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefobe View Post
Very good work Glenn!!
Thank you Marcus! I appreciate your listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 PM

Excellent!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Just a wonderful rendition. I wore those S&G albums out in my youth, haven't given them a listen in quite a while, thanks for the memory jolt.

Oh and please don't make any more recordings with the 12 string. I have enough guitars already
Old 09-21-2017, 08:04 PM

A beautiful song beautifully played. Takes me back too! Well done and thanks. Ed

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB View Post
Excellent!
Thank you John! Very much appreciated! I'm so glad you liked this!

And by the way, welcome to the AGF! It's wonderful to see you here and to listen to your playing here on the AGF in "Show & Tell!" Your recordings sound great!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Just a wonderful rendition. I wore those S&G albums out in my youth, haven't given them a listen in quite a while, thanks for the memory jolt.

Oh and please don't make any more recordings with the 12 string. I have enough guitars already
Hi Mr DB!

Thank you so much for posting here! I'm really glad you like this rendition! I very much appreciate the support!

Regarding the 12-string, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help myself! There are more songs coming with that Guild F512. What a killer 12-string! I am so happy with that guitar!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean Ed View Post
A beautiful song beautifully played. Takes me back too! Well done and thanks. Ed
Hi Ed!

Well, thank you so much from near Aberdeen, WA, USA to Melbourne, Australia! How cool is that to be carrying on this discussion with us each on opposite sides of the globe from one another!

I am so very pleased that you like how this came out! Thanks so much for posting, and you are certainly very welcome for my part in recording the song!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Wow, Glenn. I expected nothing but flawless guitar playing from you, but having watched many of your videos and having played that song about a million times on my turntable as a kid, I couldn't help think, 'Glenn's a great singer, but that Garfunkel vocal? Brave choice.' But you did a fantastic rendition. And having read all the GAS comments about 12 strings makes me happy that I asked my wife for a maple takamine 12 string 12 years ago (and she got it for me!). Cheers! Dave
Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Nice work once again, Glenn! Really good playing. Your setup sounds good and I like the different camera angles.

JR
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Wow, Glenn. I expected nothing but flawless guitar playing from you, but having watched many of your videos and having played that song about a million times on my turntable as a kid, I couldn't help think, 'Glenn's a great singer, but that Garfunkel vocal? Brave choice.' But you did a fantastic rendition. And having read all the GAS comments about 12 strings makes me happy that I asked my wife for a maple takamine 12 string 12 years ago (and she got it for me!). Cheers! Dave
Thank you Dave!

How nice of you to comment! I'm so glad you like this version!

Thank you very much for the kind words, Dave! They are very much appreciated!

And how wonderful of your wife to buy you that Takamine 12-string! What a sweet story!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Nice work once again, Glenn! Really good playing. Your setup sounds good and I like the different camera angles.

JR
Hi JR,

How nice of you to take the time to listen and comment. I know you are busy!

How rewarding to know that you recognize the efforts I have gone through to get good quality sound and interesting camera angles for the video. It's a bit of a challenge to do these videos all by myself so that I don't have to bother anyone else.

Thanks for the kind words and support, JR!

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

This is my cover of Paul Simon's song "For Emily Whenever I May Find Her" from Simon & Garfunkel's third studio album "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme." Some have suggested that he may have been referring to Emily Dickinson.

In their 1968 appearance on Kraft Music Hall, Paul Simon explained that "For Emily" is not about an imaginary girl Emily, but about a belief, while the song "Overs" (from the album Bookends) is about the loss of that belief. In 2014, a Rolling Stone readers poll ranked it among the duo's best compositions, with the magazine declaring, "Over the years, fans have recognized it as one of the duo's sweetest love songs."

"Belief" about love or "no belief" about love, I loved this song from the first time I heard it back in 1966. The guitar used on this video is my Guild F512, 12-string.

Thanks so much for listening! - Glenn
Great job, Glenn! Beautiful!

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell