The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Mic it up? Shure Beta57a

I have a D18 that I would love to use at my next show but it does not have a pick up. I am thinking of using a Shure Beta57a mic pointed around the 14th fret about 2 inches off the fingerboard. I've been doing some testing and it seems like it could work.

What are your experiences/suggestions?

The club sound person said that is a great mic for that type of application and said it should work well - small club holds about 50 max.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Sure, try it. It might work well, or, you will find out why pickups were invented.

Steve
Old 07-07-2017, 02:59 PM

I have the same mic. I tried it last night as a mater of fact to see how it would sound. I placed it 2-3 inches away from the 14th fret and ran directly to a Bose l1 compact. Sounded very good. probably would be better through a mixer. The mic is very focused. I had no feedback issues. I wouldn't move around too much though.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Eric Skye

Small club of fifty, presumably quiet or relatively quiet audeince, no reason to use a pickup. Should be easy.

Couple quick thoughts: While I agree pointing at the fourteen fret is probably the best tone, and what I would choose for a single mic recording location, I do not think it is best for live sound. Sound people will often disagree until I demonstrate.

For live sound I would aim the mic up, toward the space between the sound hole and the bridge, or put another way; up toward your right hand. There is much more volume at this location. The problem with mic'ing an acoustic guitar is the very low volume it puts out. You just don't hear sax players complain about using a mic at a gigs...

Anyway, you won't get the deal-breaking boom you would at the sound hole directly, but there is more low-mid activity there so best to roll off the bass on the mic it's self if possible (though you can't do that on a 57) or at the soundboard. Tell the sound person you need a "small to medium cut around 150 or so."

Play with angles, and mic distances (57 probably is going to need to be pretty close because it is a dynamic microphone). It all makes a big difference. It time you'll learn to use this as a tool of expression -leaning in for a solo, backing off for louder strumming... It's way better than any pickup, which are dynamicly more like a head-set mic -you can't get away from it.

Also, use no monitors if possible. Or have the crew start with no monitor in the mix and then bring it up very slowly, and use the very least possible. Consider relocating yourself to hear more of the mains as a way or hearing yourself better.

Last edited by min7b5; 07-07-2017 at 08:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification