The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2002, 07:20 AM

Default Breedlove

I went to a Christian Coffeehouse this past Friday Night and I had the honor of listening to Chris Stoltz. He's a local guy around here I guess, and he was playing some great old tunes. Neil Young-complete with harmonica parts while playing Heart of Gold, it was awesome. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice the sound of his guitar. Afterwards a couple of friends and I went to talk to him and he showed us his BreedLove. It was an amazing guitar, the tone was just outstanding. I couldn't believe it. Then I did some checking and I guess the people behind Taylor and Breedlove are actually from the same town? Or they knew each other or something like that. Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone heard of these. www.breedloveguitars.com They seem to be fantastic guitars too.

2002 614ce Fall Limited
Old 02-26-2002, 08:23 AM

I've had the chance to play a couple at Elderly's in the past, and would agree that they are great guitars. The tone really drew me in; very "complete" and balanced throughout their entire line. The big turn-off for me were the aesthetics of the instrument. I'm not a big fan of their bridges and headstocks, but that's just personal preference.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Their Walnut Dread is an absolute cannon. It is very light and resonant as well.

I understand that founder Larry Breedlove left Taylor to form the company and then left Breedlove to rejoin Taylor for a while.

Someone slap me if I'm wrong.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 02-27-2002 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:36 PM

I had heard that Larry and Bob went to the same high school. Dunno for sure, but I own a walnut Breedlove and I absolutely love it. Light as a feather and plays like butter.

Bob
Old 02-26-2002, 08:11 PM

Talking

I came very close to buying the Ed Gerhardt signature series when I was shopping for my first high end guitar. Very sweet but out of my price range.

In my opinion, the Holy Grail of 12 strings are the Breedloves. I played one that had a unique shape to it but oh my did it sound beautiful. Fortunately, Taylors are the Holy Cow of 12 strings so I look forward to owning one or the other one of these days.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:43 PM

You are correct Bob.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:19 PM

Nice sounding, but but ugly, and without the NT advantage!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:57 AM

Ian,

Ugly is subjective (in fact I wish I could spring for a CM model - I love the look of that double cutaway) and the NT neck advantage kicks in ten years from now if and when I need a neck reset. Not nearly enough reason to keep me away from a sweet playing guitar of any make, let alone my Breedlove. I own a Taylor 612ce too. I love it and got a hell of deal on it, but guess what,,its a 1999, no NT neck on that either. So what?

Bob
Old 02-27-2002, 02:21 PM

I played two Breedlove's yesterday as a matter of fact. One had ebony back and sides, and the other was the Gerhard signature model. I flat didn't care for the ebony model, and was at least initially disappointed by the Gerhard model, but didn't spend enough time with it to render a final opinion. I found both instruments dry and absent the complex ringing harmonics I prefer. The Gerhard model did display amazing punch and projection in the lower registers, particularly the low E, almost to the point it was unbalanced. I hold Ed Gerhard as a technician and player perfectionist in extraordinarily high regard (I had the unique opportunity to see Ed live with an audience of about 8 and instantly became a big fan. This was prior to his current Breedlove arrangement, and was the first and only time I have heard an Ervin Symogyi guitar live - WOW). I would like the opportunity to play the Gerhard Model in the right circumstances, and knowing what I know about both Breedlove and Gerhard, it might well change my mind.

Last edited by jira; 02-27-2002 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:09 PM

There is a used Breedlove 12 string at Guitar Center in San Francisco on Mission. It is in the acoustic room, hung up near the ceiling. It looks to have a cedar or maybe redwood top. Anyway, I played it and was quite disappointed. It seemed kind of quiet, and didn't play like butter. For one thing, it appears to have been neglected. One string is missing, and those present are getting kind of rusty. But it does look pretty. And maybe with some care it could be revived.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification