The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2002, 04:29 PM
.tom the übergeek

TahitiJack,

You found it for $300? Musician's Friend is like $399.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:55 PM

The best price on the Yamaha AG Stomp was (sold out now) at the southern California Mars Music stores which are closing.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:22 PM
.tom the übergeek

ARGH. OK, thanks. God I wish our MARS would go out of business.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:35 PM

I tried to try one at Guitar Center today, but couldn't get the darn thing to work. The workers there are SO helpful that they let me keep on trying for about 20 minutes. Never did offer to help...
Old 02-23-2002, 09:02 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally posted by bnjp
I tried to try one at Guitar Center today, but couldn't get the darn thing to work. The workers there are SO helpful that they let me keep on trying for about 20 minutes. Never did offer to help...
Probably for the best. I can imagine the conversation going something like this:

bnjp: "Could you help me with this pedal? It does not seem to work."

GC "salesman": "Whoa, dude, you are gonna need to talk to a Manager about that. I am totally not into that scene. Are you sure it is not working? I could totally hear the guitar over here. Smokin' licks by the way...excellent."

bnjp: "Um, yeah...it is not working. You could hear the guitar because it is an acoustic!"

GC "salesman": "Well then, dude, what is you major malfunction? If you can totally hear it without the pedal, why go to so much trouble to make the pedal work? OK, dude, if you don't tell the manager, I can drop the price another $10 if you like it. It has been slow today and nobody seems to be buying anything."

bnjp: "Maybe because the strings are all dead and the pedals don't work."

GC "salesman": "Very astute of you my friend. Are you a spy from the MARS store down the street?"

bnjp: "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Old 02-24-2002, 07:56 AM

Wow! I tried one of these Gizmos out yesterday at GC. Took my 712ce in and checked it in, then used my own guitar to see how it would sound. They had it set up in the first acoustic room. I had to do some fiddling with the knobs and even though I didn't really know what I was doing, managed to extract some incredible tones! I gotta have one of these things. www.riksmusic.com quoted $329.00 to include shipping and no sales tax. I think if I buy from the GC I'll show em that quote and I have no doubt I'll walk out with it for $329.00 or better. This doodad is exactly what I need to deal with the (few) sonic limitations of the 712.

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop
Old 02-24-2002, 03:08 PM

That was hilarious Tom. Sounds like you've spent some time there!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:40 PM
.tom the übergeek

My first trip in was enough to determine that....
Old 02-24-2002, 11:25 PM

Well.....brought one of those fancy Yamaha AG gadgets home just today, after having read voraciously about it both here and other places on the web.

It's still in the box. Have just now cracked open the manual. Will have it plugged and playing shortly.

Talked the folks at GC down to $349, out the door. Sure wish now I'd had an email quote from the Rik's Music as mentioned above. I may just get it anyhow and go back and get my other 20 bucks. !!

Later....
Rick
Old 02-24-2002, 11:59 PM

Well, I bought my very own AG-Stomp last Friday, and I like it a lot. A friend of mine has the DG-Stomp, and the approach is completely different. With the AG, I played around until I found a really good "plain" sound, and that's what I'll use most of the time. On the DG, you've thrice the number of patches, and you'll play around a lot, trying new and different sounds, or searching for a particuliar guitar sound you heard on you're favorite albums.

An advice to anybody who bought the AG-Stomp, or plan to: get a stereo amp. I connect mine directly into my home theater amp, and boy does it sound sweet! Most of the features will only liven up with a stereo amp (chorus, reverb, mic type and position in particular).
Old 02-25-2002, 08:47 AM

Does the AG Stomp have an XLR output? (you know the the little three prong microphone cord thingy...)
Old 02-25-2002, 10:46 AM

Yes and no. The AG-Stomp has 2 TRS (1/4") output connectors (1 left/mono, one right), but it comes with 2 TRS to XLR converter cables, and since the TRS jacks are stereo (3 connectors), you effectively have a stereo balanced output. There is also a digital coaxial output to connect directly to a recording console. You can download the user's manual for the Yamaha AG-Stomp here, it will tell you what you want to know. There is also a cool 14 minutes MP3 which demos the AG-Stomp.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:41 PM

I ordered my Stomp today from riksmusic.com for $329. I'll have it Friday and it didn't seem worth going back to GC to try to hassle them down to match the price. Look forward to hearing from the rest of you as to your favorite settings.

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop
Old 02-26-2002, 10:18 PM
.tom the übergeek

I went into GC (I still feel dirty) tonight to really go over the AG good. I was only able to play it with headphones but also got very lucky to find a BRAND NEW 614CE with fresh strings to demo with....hehe.

I have to say that I was not as impressed with it as I was with the 14 minute video...hehe. I am going to go in with my 810 and play it through a PA or something. I also want to hear the SANS AMP Acoustic DI and A/B them. I know the Yamaha does a lot more. Also, I was struck by the SIZE of the thing. It is HUGE.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:47 PM

I just got the last one at the Mars liquidation in Cherry Hill,NJ.40% off,I couldn't wait any longer and chance it getting sold.It was the demo one mounted in the display rack,now I just have to get my tax refund so I can get my first new 414ce out of layaway!! and then I will be lovin' life even more....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification