The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Default GAS for a second Rickenbacker......help!

I’ve owned two Rickenbacker guitars in my life, spanning nearly two decades. My first was “the one that got away.” I had an ‘88 midnight blue 610 that played like a dream and had the most unique tone of any guitar I’ve owned. I found it used for $800 in the mid 90s when 80s axes were out of fashion. I never loved the color, but it didn’t matter with how it played and the tone. Also, growing up a Tom Petty die hard, it was a Rickenbacker like he had. Sadly, when I was playing a bit heavier music I traded it towards a Gibson in a foolish move.

A few years after that, also when I quit touring, I put in an order for the Ric I had always dreamed of. A Fireglo 620 (ala **** The Torpedoes cover). It came in somewhere around a year and a half later. I went to the store to try it out, and came home with the most beautiful (and only pro level guitar I’ve bought new) guitar I’ve ever held. It turns 10 this year, and now has a few little bumps and bruises (though not many, it’s my baby!). Through any of my three amps it screams, and is so responsive. It still has that Ric tone; definitely helping my tone to be a bit different than most. Lately I’ve been playing it daily, which says a lot when I’m a stay at home parent with a two year old.

I’ve been starting to crave another Ric.....preferably a 300 series. After heavily weighing features and options I’d likely go for a 330, also in Fireglo. I do enjoy running my 620 in stereo, but realistically doubt I’d ever use it live when I get to that point again. I have felt since purchasing my 620 that I preferred the neck on my 610 without binding (not that my 620 has a bad neck). I also like the pointy body over the rounded 360 body. Then, the 330 is also considerably cheaper. I contacted my Ric dealer and they already got me a price and said about 9 months to order one in. It’ll take me at least that to save up for it....help talk me out of another sound investment! (Or into it?)
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Be patient, do research, think it though.
Sometimes 'the one' isn't on our bucket lists or even conceived of yet.
Good luck!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Have you considered a 330/12 as a companion for your 620 - arguably the most distinctive and instantly recognizable tone of any electric guitar, and if you're into early Beatles I've seen at least one tribute band retrofit theirs with the flat Ric 660-style tailpiece, and use it as a less-expensive alternative to the 360/12V63...
Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Sounds to me as if you'll be very happy with a 330.

I have a 650D, and a 330/12 - different as chalk and cheese, but still both unmistakably Rickenbacker. The 650D is, hands down, my favourite electric guitar of all time.

Don't resist - but also, don't get hung up on having to order one. There are gobs of 330s available through many highly-reputable online dealers - you should have no trouble tracking one down when the funds are available.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

boy have you come to the wrong place to be talked OUT of a guitar purchase. Wise choice, I'd do the same thing if I really wanted another one
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Have you considered a 330/12 as a companion for your 620 - arguably the most distinctive and instantly recognizable tone of any electric guitar, and if you're into early Beatles I've seen at least one tribute band retrofit theirs with the flat Ric 660-style tailpiece, and use it as a less-expensive alternative to the 360/12V63...
I’ve strongly considered the 12. My reservation is spending nearly $2k on one at this point. I think I will likely go with a 330/6 and soon after pick up a Dano 12 to try out for a while and possibly purchase a Ric 12 if I enjoy that enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Be patient, do research, think it though.
Sometimes 'the one' isn't on our bucket lists or even conceived of yet.
Good luck!
I’m in no hurry. Probably take me a year or so to save up the money. I’m in a place where any guitar I buy from here on out will likely be North American made, unless there’s something super special about it. I think I’d really enjoy a 330....tone and looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Sounds to me as if you'll be very happy with a 330.

I have a 650D, and a 330/12 - different as chalk and cheese, but still both unmistakably Rickenbacker. The 650D is, hands down, my favourite electric guitar of all time.

Don't resist - but also, don't get hung up on having to order one. There are gobs of 330s available through many highly-reputable online dealers - you should have no trouble tracking one down when the funds are available.
I’ve always been interested in the 650 series, I’m happy to hear you like yours and that it has a slightly different yet Ric tone....down the road I could see picking up another 610 or a 650 at some point. I’m not dead set on ordering one, but the local store that ordered my 620 already quoted me a pretty good price on one if they order it in for me (I’m fairly certain it’s the same price I payed for my 620 ten years ago). I’d like to support my local small shop if I could! Plus, they’ll order it and I pay when I pick it up assuming I like it, if not they’ll keep it and sell it on their wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
boy have you come to the wrong place to be talked OUT of a guitar purchase. Wise choice, I'd do the same thing if I really wanted another one
Well I was hoping somebody may say it’ll sound the same as my 620, or why do you need it �� But we all have that addiction to the beautiful colors and curves....then the tones and sounds that come from the wood.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
I’ve always been interested in the 650 series, I’m happy to hear you like yours and that it has a slightly different yet Ric tone....down the road I could see picking up another 610 or a 650 at some point.
The 650 is a gem. To be honest, when I bought it in 2001, it was the only brand-new Rickenbacker I could afford, and I didn't really know what I was getting. I'd just lusted after a Rickenbacker since about 1962.

Now, the only guitar I've owned longer is my Martin, and neither of them are going anywhere

Quote:
I’m not dead set on ordering one, but the local store that ordered my 620 already quoted me a pretty good price on one if they order it in for me (I’m fairly certain it’s the same price I payed for my 620 ten years ago). I’d like to support my local small shop if I could! Plus, they’ll order it and I pay when I pick it up assuming I like it, if not they’ll keep it and sell it on their wall.
I'm all for supporting local dealers, and good for you for doing so

My comment was more based on observation of other Rickenbacker groups - many people complain about the lead time from the factory, without apparently realizing that there are several excellent dealers out there who always have a variety of stock on hand, both new and used. I bought my 330/12 from Pick Of The Ricks - a 2011 model in absolutely mint condition - in 2013 for a nice discount over the price of a new one.

I'd love a 620. See - I'm already after #3
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The 650 is a gem. To be honest, when I bought it in 2001, it was the only brand-new Rickenbacker I could afford, and I didn't really know what I was getting. I'd just lusted after a Rickenbacker since about 1962.

Now, the only guitar I've owned longer is my Martin, and neither of them are going anywhere

I'm all for supporting local dealers, and good for you for doing so

My comment was more based on observation of other Rickenbacker groups - many people complain about the lead time from the factory, without apparently realizing that there are several excellent dealers out there who always have a variety of stock on hand, both new and used. I bought my 330/12 from Pick Of The Ricks - a 2011 model in absolutely mint condition - in 2013 for a nice discount over the price of a new one.

I'd love a 620. See - I'm already after #3
My 610 was a purchase much the same. It was cheap (comparatively speaking) and what I could afford. I’m still a fool for trading it. The neck and pickups in the 650 series intrigue me. Not to mention a natural finish is great, and I love the stripe through the body for the neck!

The Twin Cities has a dealer, and is a two hour drive. I used to live there. They do have a 330 in stock, just not the Fireglo I want. If I’m spending that much I’m okay with waiting for the finish of choice! Plus it’s fun thinking the factory in a sense made it for you to fulfill your order.

If you ever have the opportunity and funds for a 620 it won’t disapoi you. I absolutely love mine, till death do us part. It’s the only guitar I have that I bought new. I’m a huge Petty fan and it is perfect **** the Torpedoes look. It has its own flavor compared to the semi hollows, but still entirely a Ric.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars