The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I did not jump on the Tonedexter bandwagon because it just seemed like SO much work to get that better tone. I'm running K&K's but for me I'm all about the simplicity to most times it's either straight into my AG200 or into my Red-Eye if there is phantom and XLR at the venue. If needed I'll plug into my little K&K belt clip pre-amp if I need volume and/or EQ control at my fingertips.

The Tonedexter seems like a great idea but for people like me (lazy, path-of-least-resistance types!) it's just too much work, too little pay off. Oh, and lots of cost! That second video they did promo-ing though was impressive!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The Tonedexter seems like a great idea but for people like me (lazy, path-of-least-resistance types!) it's just too much work, too little pay off. Oh, and lots of cost! That second video they did promo-ing though was impressive!
What work is there besides plugging in a microphone and training it for a couple of minutes? You might want to try that with a few different mics or mic placements, but that doesn't seem like much work to me.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:15 PM

I'd agree that it really isn't too much work.
Using the Seagull (with just the UST), I was able to create a very usable Wavemap in about two minutes. If this was my guitar, I'd probably try 2-3 more mic placements and I'm sure I'd get something that works just fine in less than 15-30 minutes max. Once you're happy with the Wavemap...there's nothing else to do and the Tonedexter operates like a regular DI at a gig. No fuss.

My "challenge" was using the Anthem SL (with both a UST and the internal mic). If you have a simple UST or SBT pickup, the Tonedexter should work just fine and clean-up the quack very nicely.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 07-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanks for reporting your findings with the ToneDexter/UST combo, Ron.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification