The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Anyone Own A Micheal Kelly Guitar?

Hi All,

While looking for a lower end dread to play around with, I discovered Michael Kelly guitars on the web. I was intrigued by their direct mail only business model.

Their premise is that they can construct a better guitar than comparable brands for the same money because they cut out the middle man. I'm curious if anyone here has bought any of their guitars, basses, mandolins etc. If so, I'd love to hear about your experience in dealing with the factory and the actual quality of the construction of your instrument...

Keep on Pickin'

Daren
310-KCE
Old 03-09-2002, 01:36 AM

Late reply, but YES, I have a Michael Kelly Studio QSE.

1977 Guild D-35
1981 Daion "model 80"
1999 La Patrie "Collection"
2000 Taylor 355
2000 Michael Kelly Studio QCE
2001 Norman B20-12
2001 Taylor 710

"Just one more guitar... I promise!!"
Old 03-10-2002, 01:16 AM

Default More info

cPaul;

Can you tell us more about your Michael Kelly guitar?

I looked at their and they looked impressive for the price.

thanks
Old 03-10-2002, 07:01 PM

Default I have one, too.

I have a Michael Kelly Studio Quilt. I bought mine new from Ebay. I like it a lot. I like to play it at church because of the tight quarters. I hate bumping my Taylors and such up. The electronics are adaquate for my use. It is not a 612, but for a couple of hundred dollars it is a good "throw-down" guitar. I actually DID throw it down once and broke it. While I was getting it back together I put a bone nut and saddle on it. I will keep it. It is fun to play.

Charley
Old 03-11-2002, 03:50 PM

Yeah, I too bought a Studio QSE off E-Bay as a "throw around guitar". It gets played a lot -- but it is NOT a taylor.

I posted a review of this guitar at Harmony Central.

I talked to Tracey Hofft, the owner of Mailbox Music (company that produces these guitars), and he used to design for Dean -- and other -- companies. Take a look at the Dean QSE... and you will see that it is a very similar guitar, but the quality control on the Dean's seem to be better. No question in my mind that these, and many other "brands" seen on E-bay are all made in the same factory in Korea.

This is a blurb on the QSE clipped from my web site:

"The QSE has a mini-jumbo cutaway body with a solid spruce top with laminated quilt maple back and sides (fancy-shmancy plywood). The neck is mahogany with a rosewood bridge and fingerboard.

Fairly heavy natural gloss lacquer finish with a nice abalone sound hole inlay, and white plastic bindings all around. Interesting green, purple and white wood inlay on center back and end. Features a polished rosewood laminated pegboard face with Grover machine heads.
Electronics-wise, is equipped with an Artec active under saddle pickup and EQ.

When i first got the guitar, it sounded thin and boxy. I have modified this guitar by adding a JLD bridge system, and a Tusq saddle and nut, which vastly improved the tone and clarity.

It's used mostly for fingerstyle work, and sounds particularly good when I play angry celtic stuff (arf!). "

As a postscript, this guitar sounds decent plugged in, and I have used it on stage through a Boss AD-3 to a PA.

1977 Guild D-35
1981 Daion "model 80"
1999 La Patrie "Collection"
2000 Taylor 355
2000 Michael Kelly Studio QCE
2001 Norman B20-12
2001 Taylor 710

"Just one more guitar... I promise!!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification