The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM

I have an OM1000 with the N1 neck. I wasn't even aware when I bought it that another neck was available. Compared with my other guitars, the N1 is as easy to play as any of my electrics, and has me moaning about neck thickness on every other guitar I either own or try out.

Judging from comments, N1 guitars might become collectable in years to come. Snag is, I doubt I could ever sell it. It is my default guitar.

Rainsong OM10 N1
Reiner 00
Eastman AC120CE
Alvarez ARD70e
Alvarez ABT60e
Custom Petit Bouche
Jim Harley Canadian Winter Dread'
Epiphone EJ200 SCE
Various banjos, bouzoukis, dulcimer etc
Old 11-15-2014, 08:49 AM

For those who find the N2 a little chunky, I have had a McPherson Kevin Michael travel guitar for a week and this was my thoughts on its neck posted on another forum this morning. Hope they take this to a full size guitar as well.

Some observations on the KM:

First this guitar to me has the best neck profile of any guitar in the carbon industry. I know I have been picky with the N2 but the KM is the opposite of the N2. The N2 is a very full profile on the sides, the KM is slim on the sides maybe a slight V shape. It was so comfortable and slim feeling I had to measure it to believe it was a 1 3/4 nut. The matt finish is a nice touch as well. For me they have set the standard here, but I realize each to his own.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

When my Rainsong Parlor arrived a couple of days ago, I was surprised by how high the action was. I lowered it to 5/64-4/64 on the E-e (had a spare Tusk saddle that I sanded down) and tweaked the truss rod a 1/4 turn and to me it transformed the guitar. I'm thinking about lowering another 1/64 as that is the setup on my 814ce and it plays like butter.

The N2 neck does not seem to bother me but since this is a carbon guitar with a urethane finish (mine is painted), I am going to apply a teflon based marine polish to the neck to make it slicker and see if that makes playing the guitar easier.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
When my Rainsong Parlor arrived a couple of days ago, I was surprised by how high the action was. I lowered it to 5/64-4/64 on the E-e (had a spare Tusk saddle that I sanded down) and tweaked the truss rod a 1/4 turn and to me it transformed the guitar. I'm thinking about lowering another 1/64 as that is the setup on my 814ce and it plays like butter.

The N2 neck does not seem to bother me but since this is a carbon guitar with a urethane finish (mine is painted), I am going to apply a teflon based marine polish to the neck to make it slicker and see if that makes playing the guitar easier.
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm curious about your approach to apply the polish to the neck. Is that safe on polyurethane?( Kind of a dumb question since I have no doubt you would never put it on your RainSong if you thought it would harm it- I'm just wondering if you are familiar with the product if there are any precautions one should take)

Let us know the results of that experience, if you find positive results I may follow suit and it sounds like a great idea. It is taking some adjusting getting used to the N2 but I need to retrain the way that I hold a guitar neck anyway. Joe Satriani teaches to only hold the neck as tightly as necessary to fret the chords and notes you want to maximize frethand motion and to minimize fatigue. I actually think the neck feels quite nice and I never thought I would like a chunky neck like that. Weird.

Last edited by steelvibe; 11-19-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm curious about your approach to apply the polish to the neck. Is that safe on polyurethane?( Kind of a dumb question since I have no doubt you would never put it on your RainSong if you thought it would harm it- I'm just wondering if you are familiar with the product if there are any precautions one should take)

Let us know the results of that experience, if you find positive results I may follow suit and it sounds like a great idea. It is taking some adjusting getting used to the N2 but I need to retrain the way that I hold a guitar neck anyway. Joe Satriani teaches to only hold the neck as tightly as necessary to fret the chords and notes you want to maximize frethand motion and to minimize fatigue. I actually think the neck feels quite nice and I never thought I would like a chunky neck like that. Weird.
A Teflon polish is fine for polyurethane. Many marine paints are polyurethane based.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopicknick View Post
I disagree 100%.....for me the N2 neck is perfect. Even if it didn't though I wouldn't let it bother to this extreme.
I also really l like the N2 neck. It is interesting, as I have had problems with a Martin 00-28vs with 1 7/8" nut due to an arthritic thumb. I moved onto a Bourgeois Vintage 0 for that reasons(1 3/4 nut).

However, I just purchased a RS P14 and find the neck to be incredibly comfortable…..such a subjective thing for sure!

Cannot wait for my P14 to arrive back home. I am having it "MacNicholized" by Michael and Jarrod at MacNichols in UT. They do a REMARKABLE setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber