The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM

My 714ce is currently en route to me from Minnesota. It is pretty cold here in the Toronto area (15 F if I did the conversion correctly)

I know Taylor doesn't use a nitro finish, so do I still need to go through the whole 24 hour waiting period once it arrives?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I bought my Gibson wm-45 from a guy in NY. It shipped parcel post and took over 14 days in the January cold . My plan was to take it slow and it acclimate. Well it showed up and in the excitement I forgot and opened it right away. I then remembered that I was going to wait but it was too late. Long story short guitar shows no issues as a result. I am not recommending this method but I am glad it worked out.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM

One of my favorite topics! I had 4 guitars shipped in below freezing temps this year. Some had a chance to acclimate in the post office. But the Santa cry 1929 came FedEx at -20F. Being a scientist (or shall I say, recovering scientist), I tried to digest as much info to figure out the shortest possible time it should take.....because I'm also impatient and probably a risk taker.

Long story short, I believe it takes about 7-8 hours for a guitar to equilibrate to room temp, irregardless of its temp inside the case and box. I opened my Santa Cruz in just under 7 hrs and all is aok.

From what I learned, however, it does seem the safest thing is to let guitar in box equilibrate at an intermediate temperature like a garage, if possible. Or drop the heat in the house to 60 ish. The rate of change in temperature (and humidity) is what makes the finish check.

Looking forward to the NGDs. Sam
Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 AM

I just follow the 3 x 12 low temp rule . . .

12 hours in unheated space (garage/basement/attic)
12 hours in unopened box
12 hours in unopened case
Old 01-02-2016, 02:10 AM

Ok, all I am reading about here is concern over temperatures. I am making a trade with a another forum member in a few days. Both guitars are Taylor's, so we don't have the nitro finish to worry about. What about humidity? We are planning to ship fed ex ground, CA to SC and vice versa. Is the 4 or 5 days in transit enough to cause a problem, or should the packing materials provide sufficient protection?

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
Welcome to AGF, Jeff! If you follow this 8-step process, you should have no problem with your new guitar!

1) First, place the box in an unheated garage, as far away from your home entrance as possible, where the ambient temperature is just above the outside temperature - leave it there for 12 hours.

2) Next, move it within the garage to a place near the entrance to your home - 6 hours there should suffice.

3) At that point, bring it into your home (still in the box, of course) and place it in the coolest part of your home - a basement or unheated attic would work this time of year. Leave it there a full 24 hours, just to be on the safe side.

4) Then move it to the living space of your home at least 15 feet from any heating vent - but don't open it! Another day there should get the box and its inner contents close to room temperature.

5) Now, very carefully, cut the packing tape and open just one end of the box. This will allow the cooler box air out and allow the warmer room air in - but perform this step with exact precision - you don't want to waste all this effort by taking a misstep here. Best to wait 6-8 hours.

6) Once you are confident that the box/room air is sufficiently mixed (time varies depending on latitude, humidity, air pressure, Zodiac sign, and amount of mojo), open the remainder of the box.

(Now this next step is tricky...)
7a) If the guitar is in a case, you must wait another 24-36 hours to allow the case air to warm to room temperature.
7b) If there is no case, you should be safe to proceed - with caution, of course.

8) Play and enjoy!

I think DB may be having a little fun with his rather detailed explanations. He forgot the steps involving incense, candles, chanting and speaking in tongues.
2019 Eastman E6OM
2010 Fairbanks F-35
1955 Martin 00-18
2014 Santa Cruz F 12 String
2000 Traugott R

They say "in every life the rain must come down,"
Baby it just rains harder in some parts of town.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 AM

Well, just be careful. Apparently all kinds of stuff can happen . . .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1657285/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion