The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Seagull

So many seem to feel Seagull is your best bet. My brother has an older one and loves it. I think if you settle on a Seafull you can't go wrong. Look for one with the QII preamp as oppesed to the QI but not sure if you'll find it in your price range.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM

I am going for a recording king as they do not sell seagull in my area, which is a tragedy. I believe seagull is the cheapest i've come across, followed by epiphone and blueridge.

Only comparing 100% solid guitars, I've been told that blueridge blows cort out of the water. Does anyone have any idea how blueridge 100% solid matches up against recording king's 100% solid?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Cheapest All-Solid Acoustic -- Silver Creek, now on sale at musiciansfriend.com

IMO, guitars should not be selected based on a "feature list"... That said, the SC are a good choice for the $$$.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Silver Creek, Recording King, and Blue Ridge all come out of the same factory.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFeStArTs@40 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Silver Creek, Recording King, and Blue Ridge all come out of the same factory.
Then they should be the same price lol.

Any comment re the blueridge being allegedly better than the cort?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Baden guitars are all solid wood and exceptionally well made. The two I played (I bought one of them) easily compared with Taylors costing more then twice as much. No electronics though.

They're now out of business but a few dealers still have some in stock. I almost bought this one from Acousticmusic.org, but ended up buying mine from Trinity guitars instead. You should be able to get one for under $700. They have a dreadnaught style too.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM

I have both a Recording King ROJ-25 (000 size maple sides and back) and a Silver Creek D-160. I have also played a few Blueridge guitars of various sizes. I purchased the Silver Creek at the current sale price. The RC cost about 3X as much. I am quite happy with both guitars and, for the money, prefer them to the Blueridge's I have played. RC also makes an RNJ model which is supposed to be modeled after the Norman Blake size Gibson (deeper body than the ROJ). I probably should have tried to compare that one to the ROJ I bought, but I doubt there would be a whole lot of difference. I like the SC dread as well or better than the BR dread (BR-40?)(laminated body) and a little pricier.

I have also heard that all three of these brands come out of the same factory in China, but that might just be because Greg Rich has or had a hand in the production. For more info, check the Blueridge forum.

Electronics on acoustics is something don't know much about. None of these guitars are cutaways.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiFeStArTs@40 View Post
Silver Creek, Recording King (and Johnson Carolina Series) are products of The Music Link.

Blueridge is a Saga brand. Greg Rich was formerly involved with Saga, now with TML.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
Then they should be the same price lol.
It's kind of like Chevy and Cadillac, I guess... Silver Creek is really a Musician's Friend house brand. And some Recording Kings have laminate sides and back.

Silver Creek, on sale from Musician's Friend or Music123, is the cheapest new all-solid-woods acoustic guitar -- ever (accounting for inflation)!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM

I could not recommend any all solid wood guitars that cost under $700 new these days. The materials alone will prevent anyone from making such a guitar if you use real tone woods and not just lumber grade woods. Not all rosewood or spruce or whatever can be made into a decent acoustic guitar and using such lumber grade wood is one the of the main ways the bargain basement priced all solid wood acoustic makers are able to offer their guitars at those kinds of prices.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Seagull

You want solid wood - then consider the Seagull Maritime series. However, the price will be greater than your target unless you buy used. IMO, it is a mistake not to consider laminated back and sides. I've had an all-solid Taylor 814ce and now own a Seagull S6. I sold the Taylor - I have no intention of selling the Seagull.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

i love blueridge guitars - they sound great, full with plenty of bass.
http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge...uitars?start=0
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm by no means an expert but I've read enough to know that solid back and sides don't actually impact the sound that much and in most case not a noticeable difference as long as you have a solid top.

Given that I don't think the goal of getting the cheapest solid wood guitar is a good one. To me I would be more concerned with the it's future. I haven't seen or played some of these cheaper All woods such as the Silver creek but will they stand the test of time? That will remain to be seen.

How long have the Recording King guitars been around coming out of the same factory? That should be decent indicator of the future quality of the Silver Creeks.

I'm sticking with Seagull myself. Low priced and little risk on quality.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Default All Solid top,back and sides new on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-DR-500M...item51984724f5
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I could not recommend any all solid wood guitars that cost under $700 new these days. The materials alone will prevent anyone from making such a guitar if you use real tone woods and not just lumber grade woods. Not all rosewood or spruce or whatever can be made into a decent acoustic guitar and using such lumber grade wood is one the of the main ways the bargain basement priced all solid wood acoustic makers are able to offer their guitars at those kinds of prices.
Sometimes you just gotta let 'em do it their way Jim. FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree with your point. You nailed it. A 200 series Taylor, and some of those HPL Martins are darn nice guitars.... Much better than some of the solid wood guitars out there, at least to these ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion