The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Did Elixir Change Their Nanowebs?

I have been using Nanowebs on my GS8 for the last two years (my 2 year anniversary with the guitar is in 3 days I think). Anyway, I love the strings to death and haven't had any problems. I just put on a new set 2 days ago though, and they are flaking like crazy. There is probably 60% of the coating left on the G string, and the others are around 80%.

I haven't bought Elixirs in a while as I buy in bulk, but I recently ran out, so this set is fresh from the store. Did they change the coating or something? They will sound great but my fretboard is covered in the stuff and they are a little rough to play. Its more of an annoyance than anything, but I am guessing this set isn't going to last long at all.
-2007 Taylor GS8

Amp:
-Traynor YCV40WR (retubed with JJ's)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM

sounds to me like "fresh from the store" may have been hanging by a heating vent for a while. I just bought a couple of sets as I love the Elixers too, and they have not flaked off at all. Maybe write them.
Marc Beneteau Concert Standard Fan Fret
Holloway Harp Guitar Model 5 (Prototype)
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree with st. I think you got some old, funky, neglected strings. Where did you get them? I always buy from Just Strings on the web. They stand behind everything they sell quite well.

www.JustStrings.com
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM

Almost sounds like the original Elixir compound,
"polys" instead of nanos?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbondo View Post
Almost sounds like the original Elixir compound,
"polys" instead of nanos?
I used polys for years and never had the problem described by bohoo2u. I still think they might be old or defective.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The Foreigner

My Webber came strung with Elixir 80/20 Nanos and although I have to admit they did sound good for quite a long time, I couldn't stand the fuzzing/flaking since I play with short nails and a thumbpick.

I'm quite puzzled by Elixir users who say they've never encountered that issue. Perhaps they play delicately and exclusively bare-fingered?

Either that or there are a lot of "old" packs of strings going around
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM

It sounds like you bought the polywebs... They have a very flaky coating... They have almost identical boxes...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ngs?sku=101546

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ngs?sku=101502

If you are sure that you bought nanowebs then they would be really old strings...

2015 Gibson Hummingbird
2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2017 Fender American Elite Thinline Telecaster
2004 PRS Singlecut Trem
2008 Fender 62' AVRI
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbish View Post
It sounds like you bought the polywebs... They have a very flaky coating... They have almost identical boxes...
Not sure if that was in response to the OP's post or mine, but the packs I've used were definitely Nanowebs and I have the original packaging (some from more than 5 years ago) to prove it. Yeah, I have a "good" habit of hoarding stuff

EDIT: If anyone has a set of med-light Nanos that they're sure is new, I'd be glad to buy it off them just to give the Elixirs another shot.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
My Webber came strung with Elixir 80/20 Nanos and although I have to admit they did sound good for quite a long time, I couldn't stand the fuzzing/flaking since I play with short nails and a thumbpick.

I'm quite puzzled by Elixir users who say they've never encountered that issue. Perhaps they play delicately and exclusively bare-fingered?

I only use elixers to practice and have used Martin SP PBs to play live and record with. I do play with my bare fingers and use a light Jim Dunlop .46 MM nylon pick for strumming. The coating does flake off and the strings will eventually get funky if I leave them on long enough (I usually don't), but only after quite a bit of playing. I also clean after each playing with a Fast Fret and a thorough wipe down with a soft cotton cloth.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Not sure if that was in response to the OP's post or mine, but the packs I've used were definitely Nanowebs and I have the original packaging (some from more than 5 years ago) to prove it. Yeah, I have a "good" habit of hoarding stuff
I guess it was intended to bohoo... However i have twice quickly run into a music store only to get home and realize i was putting on polywebs... I think that is their plan. Just try and get rid of old stock by making the 2 packages so similar. I have never had a flaky set of nanos... That sure isnt saying they aren't out there though...

2015 Gibson Hummingbird
2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2017 Fender American Elite Thinline Telecaster
2004 PRS Singlecut Trem
2008 Fender 62' AVRI
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogman View Post
I also clean after each playing with a Fast Fret and a thorough wipe down with a soft cotton cloth.
I've always wondered....are the chemicals in string cleaners compatible with coated strings? I was a loyal user of Fast Fret before switching to D'Addario EXP19s. I remember reading somewhere that D'Addario does not recommend cleaners/lubricants on their coated sets.
Transcriptions

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered....are the chemicals in string cleaners compatible with coated strings? I was a loyal user of Fast Fret before switching to D'Addario EXP19s. I remember reading somewhere that D'Addario does not recommend cleaners/lubricants on their coated sets.
I'm not sure about some manufacturers recomendations. I've worked for 5 different pro gear manufacturers and they sometimes say things just to cover their @$$e$. Since I use the Fast Fret and wipe it off thoroughly and immediately, I have not encountered any negative effects on the many types of coated strings I have used over the years...but I've never used EXP 19s.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:

I have Elixir PBs on my Yammy and I've used a couple of sets of Elixir 80/20s and Elixir PBs on my Ryan and I have yet to encounter the flaking issue. Perhaps it's because I replace them after just a couple of weeks of play.
1992 Zion Classic Maple (electric)
1996 Carvin LB75 bass
Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I've used both kinds of Elixirs exclusively on ALL my guitars for the past 10 or so years (since they first appeared). I play with fingerpicks, nails, flatpick, whatever - hard and soft, and have NEVER had the problem with flaking! Don't change them particularly often, either

Perhaps it has more to do with a reaction of the natural oils on your hands and the strings?

Whatever it is, you should send the "flakey string" back to Elixir with an explanation/details of its use so they can test it!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 PM

I bought these at Guitar Center which is something I never do...I guess I just got some old strings that have been sitting on the shelves for a while. They are definitely Nanowebs though, so I'll just change them out with the other set and see how that one holds up (I got 2 packs to hold me over until I order more online in bulk). Anyway, thanks for all the input. Hopefully this will be my first and last issue with Elixirs.
-2007 Taylor GS8

Amp:
-Traynor YCV40WR (retubed with JJ's)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion