The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Question about learning multiple songs at once

I am building a repertoire, and unsure as to how "firm" a piece needs to be before I can enter the "polish forever" phase (and start a new piece while that happens).

Ive considered finding a teacher to help me/observe my approach. My thought is that as long as I have the piece memorized, I can start learning a different piece, while continuing to bring the old piece to speed (and not struggle with duffed notes, difficult chord stretches, awkward transitions etc.)

I've found that there were songs I learned that way that are still not perfect after playing them regularly for over a year - so is that because I moved on too fast?

Practically, how many instrumentals can someone be learning/memorizing at once? I want to memorize all of this. I am trying to build my understanding of theory by focusing on the chord type, function, etc.. which builds repeated mental cues and helps me know where I'm going next in the tune.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM

I'm no expert for sure, but I would offer:

If you start the next song and find you're now forgetting sections of the earlier song, then you're moving too fast. I typically work multiple songs at once, and if I get stuck on one, I move on to the other. That helps me to feel like I am making progress and not get frustrated from lack of progress. Then when I go back to the original, sometimes the difficult part comes a little easier.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 08-31-2017, 04:07 PM

My guess is that it will be different for everybody. I'm working on a nice version of Summertime right now as well as Killing me Softly (Roberta Flack). Both finger style. Started SRV's Life By The Drop this morning, and still trying to polish a couple Foo Fighters songs. Actually now that I think of it there are at least a dozen I'm actively working on. The harder ones I spend the most time on, but I can't spend too long on any single song. Say 1/2 hour a night then move to the next. I find I learn better this way. Sometimes I even have to drop a song for a bit if I'm not "getting it", then usually when I go back in a couple days or weeks, the parts I had trouble with come easier.

If you find your stuck try something different for a while. If it's a finger style piece try strumming something. It is possible to overload the brain by focusing on one thing for to long..... at least for me😉

Jeff
Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 PM

Not a suggestion as I'm still in the 1st step.
One thing that I find challenging is the rhythm.
I have few songs that use similar chords but when I play them, my rhythm is same even though those songs use different timings/rhythm.
Not sure how to go past that.

When I practice myself, it sounds okay but when I play the song and try, it's awful as the rhythm is not in sync.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

If I have a tune that has a difficult section that I constantly mess up on I will isolate the section keeping only the prior measure and following measure. I will then practice those measures as if my life depends on it. I'll also practice other tunes that I am learning. I think working on more than one tune keeps you from going crazy and getting bored with the piece. I'm working on a few of Al Petteway's arrangements (all in DADGAD except as noted) at once, but not all in the same practice session. Dogue Creek is the shortest, but has the section that's giving me a hard time. I'm doing at least a 100 reps a night of the offending sections. Eventually I'll conquer it.

Dogue Creek (CGCGCD)
Sheep At the Door
Sligo Creek
Dry Ridge
Guitar Rag
Appalachian Medly
One Dime Blues.

And intermittantly

Broken Mist (CGCGCD)
Down By The Salley Gardens

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:15 PM

You will always improve so your repertoire will follow. Regarding multiple songs, I can't imagine focusing only on one at a time. From the time I picked up a guitar there was a laundry list of songs I began to teach myself at the same time. Variety and diversity just sort of naturally sat on my fretboard and nothing has changed in many, many years. Honestly, the sheer number of songs and their differences shifted learning into high gear whereas focus on just a few would not have imparted as much. That's 20/20 hindsight and nothing more. IOW, taking the macro approach to learning versus the micro approach clearly suggests the former will give the greatest advantage to accelerated learning. Polishing is simply something that will never end and of a whole other aspect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write