The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Looping newbie

Hi all,

I just bought a Boss RC-50. I've only had it a few days, but I've already written some very cool layers/ideas.

However, it has quickly came to my attention that there is no easy way to go through a typical structure of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc).

Meaning, if I layer some sweet stuff for my opening verse....how do i jump to chorus? How do other loopers do this? If I look at some YouTube examples, like Ed Sheeran and Shape of You....it doesn't really matter because he literally uses the same chords through out the whole song.

I guess I never thought of this limitation when I bought this. Or, IS it a limitation? Perhaps there are techniques to do this I just am not aware of?

Or....do I need to get used to writing songs in a different way? If I put down a bass riff on my acoustic guitar and layer some percussion over it (hitting on my guitar etc,).....lets say I want to switch to chorus. Now I have to drop out my main riff and play the chords in the chorus. Of course this means I now don't have a bass line for it (only bass line i have is the verse).

Anyway, I couldn't really find the proper resources online for these beginner questions. So....here I am. Much thanks in advance.

Corey
Old 08-20-2017, 07:42 AM

The Digitech Trio + permits multiple song sections.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 AM

The Boomerang is used for this kind of stuff and the Digitech above sounds perfect for you.

Now, on the Boss, you can save up to 100 loops I believe, I can on the RC3.
You buy the 2 footpedals, they are a must for performance. One of them advances to the next loop, so you can save many songs. But to do verse, chorus, bridge,,,thats not a looping thing. Those are called backing tracks and are best recorded and transferred to an iPad.

D.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax1lla View Post
... it has quickly came to my attention that there is no easy way to go through a typical structure of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, etc). <> do I need to get used to writing songs in a different way?
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Also bear in mind that the looper as a "performance enhancer" is most effective if you have an audience who can see you. If you're writing songs for listening to vs songs for live performance, the looper is going to dumb you down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write