The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-25-2017, 11:33 PM

Default Emerald model question

Is the Emerald X20 the same guitar as the X20 Artisan? On the Emerald website at times they say its an X20 and leave off the Artisan name. I know there is the Opus and many other types of awesome Emerald guitars.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

As far as I understand current Standard models are X20 Artisan and X20 Opus.

Then there is the custom shop X20 where this is perhaps above and beyond what the X20 Artisan and Opus offers.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Is the Emerald X20 the same guitar as the X20 Artisan? On the Emerald website at times they say its an X20 and leave off the Artisan name. I know there is the Opus and many other types of awesome Emerald guitars.
Yes... the difference is the level of finishes and customizations.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 AM

Yes, the Opus range are usually available straight off the shelf and are all finished in black with gloss tops and necks and a matte, (Crystal ice), finish to back and sides.

The Artisan range are BTO , gloss all over, in your choice of finish from their standard range of finishes. Upgraded tuners, pickups and cases.

Apparently they all play and sound the same , so if you're OK with simple appointments in black, way to go.

I don't represent Emerald , so check before ordering in case I got anything wrong !

I do own an X7 , and can attest to the great quality of the build and finish.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

For the X20:

The Opus is the base model; black, with gloss top, textured (Crystal Ice) finish on back and sides. No pickup, although one can be added. Includes a gig bag.

Next level up is the Artisan. Available with color choice, all gloss, and includes the current pickup choice and a Hiscox case. Upgraded tuners.

Next level up is a Custom. Gorgeous wood veneers available, some options (for an upcharge) with neck width and scale. Other options for details, and you need to visit directly with Emerald.

I have an X7 Opus (beautiful workmanship) and an X20 Custom (the wood veneer still knocks me out). Know that whatever range you get, you would be getting a fine instrument... my understanding is the sound/tone of an Opus/Artisan/Custom of a particular model would be the same.

Emerald generally has the Opus (both X7 and X20) available for immediate or very short time delivery. A 4 to 5 month wait for an Artisan or Custom. Looking at their site right now, they have an amber Artisan and 3 Custom (April Select Series) Woodies available, as well as an Opus and 12-string X20.

So, the X20 is the model; the Opus, Artisan, Custom are different trim levels... and they all sound, feel, and play great.

If I have any of this wrong, or have omitted anything, I'm guessing Sean from Emerald will fill in the details. I have no connection with Emerald, other than being a very happy owner of these two guitars.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 04-26-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Is the Emerald X20 the same guitar as the X20 Artisan?
Short answer is yes. As far as I can see, Alistair has but two main shapes for the six string, the X20, which is sort of an OM, and the X7, which is a 3/4 size guitar about the size of the Baby Taylor. He offers these two models in different textures, colors, and with wood veneer on top, and also offers them in 12 string versions.

Rainsong does a similar thing, although on a much larger scale. They have five shapes, the Parlor, OM, WS (Grand Auditorium), Jumbo, and a Dreadnought. All of Rainsongs models are based on traditional shapes BTW. They offer all the models in a 12, or 14 fret, satin, gloss, tobacco burst and marine burst, and a combination of carbon fiber materials they use that include standard CF, unidirectional CF, a hybrid glass/carbon fiber, and the Black Ice CF. All the carbon fiber used by Rainsong is Prepreg, which stronger, lighter, and more consistent than standard CF. In all over 100 options that can change the tone, feel, and playability of the guitars, as well as the esthetics. Rainsong used to offer a 12-String option, and I'm sure they will again, that were available for the Jumbo, Dreadnought, and WS (grand auditorium) models.

Although there wasn't much call for an OM 12-string, if they ever do bring back the 12-string neck, I would definitely like to see it made available on all the models. I can definitely see me having some fun on my boat with a 12-string Parlor.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:43 AM

Yet, Rainsong is unable to accommodate a neck change such as making it an 1/8" wider. Nice guitars, though.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Guest 928

Ted;

That is an incredibly concise and thorough explanation of Rainsong offerings--Rainsong would do well to use your general overlook on their site.

I would add one thing to your explanation; Rainsong makes a great 12 fret nylon string guitar.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 PM

I thought this was an Emerald thread.....

;-)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
Yet, Rainsong is unable to accommodate a neck change such as making it an 1/8" wider. Nice guitars, though.
Jim, we've gone over this, Rainsong uses very expensive molds to build their guitars, including their necks. I sell probably more Rainsongs every year than the total production of Emerald, and I can tell you that over that last ten years, there have been a total of three people who have asked me for a neck using 1-7/8" nut width. Given those low numbers, would you invest say 50K in a mold for a wider neck if you were running Rainsong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

That is an incredibly concise and thorough explanation of Rainsong offerings--Rainsong would do well to use your general overlook on their site.

I would add one thing to your explanation; Rainsong makes a great 12 fret nylon string guitar.
Thanks Evan, I forgot about the nylon crossover option, which can be had in both 12, and 14-fret versions, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I thought this was an Emerald thread.....

;-)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM

As Ted points out Rainsongs are awesome guitars, I love my JM-1000 Black Ice, I will never sell it. But Emerald brings some interesting things to the table, I am still wondering how they make their bodies in a one piece construction while other builders still glue on their tops and bridges? Their use of beautifully colored weaves just dazel in the light. I have sat in the audience and have seen my red Emerald Doubleneck literally dance in the spotlights.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Guest 928

David;

It seems like we wander around on this forum. It's difficult to talk about one CF instrument without some comparison with others. As Ted points out, the options available with the different makers leads to conjecture.

Ted; I didn't think the nylon Parlor came in a 14 fret ???
Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Ted, 6 posts in... I see what you did there.

Look at all the good information available on this sub-forum! And, about a variety of carbon fiber offerings. It's all good.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
... Alistair has but two main shapes for the six string, the X20, which is sort of an OM, and the X7, ...
Probably gives him an unfair advantage in offering all those customizations, monthly select series and non-main shapes.

Jim
Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Obviously it's Rainsong's decision on what investments make sense for them. I may be a fringe fan of wider necks but it seems that they've historically been around a long time. That, coupled with the increase of fingerstyle players, the need for an 1-7/8" neck to accommodate 12 string guitars and the rising popularity of nylon Crossover guitars might make it worth reconsideration.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber