The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2017, 04:17 PM

As with most things it depends what ya's doin'.

I do pop, rock, RnB covers for the most part, pubs, weddings and similar. So I use pedals a bit here n there to add flavour.

Mic and guitar into Harmony singer > Comp > delay > chorus ( all CMatMods) > Ditto2 > PZ Deluxe > always on TC mini tuner from tuner out of radial > PA.
Powered by a Cioks DC10.

This lot gives me plenty of scope to embellish and mix things up whenever needed.

Kris
Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 PM

No, I've never used pedals when playing my electrics let alone my Martin acoustic which is played acoustically.

I've always been of the opinion that if the amp I'm using doesn't have the effect I'm after then I won't use that effect. (Reverb, delay and/or touch of vibrato is mostly what I like). One of the reasons why I like my current Fender Mustang solid state amp with inbuilt reverb and delay options and one of the reasons why I like Fender tube amps with inbuilt reverb also).
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

I always run my guitars through my Radial PZ-DI I'm looking into getij g a TC Bodyrez pedal sometime soon

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 PM

That would be "yes"

Just because effects are on the board doesn't mean they're always "on."

For me, the Venue is essential for tone shaping. Beyond the Baggs as a DI/tone stack, my CC delay is typically always on for ambient slapback ...not so much for color as much for added thickness. The rest of it is only there for "as needed" where the the song/situation merit's its use ...or not

Edward
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

No.

Well, rarely. I used to have a bunch but then started removing them one at a time and found I didn't miss them at all. I now plug straight into my Carvin AG200 which has all the EQ'ing I need and built in reverb and other effects (I only use the reverb).

But we don't play out much and when we do we mostly play local Open Mics so just plug into whatever they have. I do carry a FireEye Red Eye in my gig bag just in case I go somewhere where there's a PA direct in with no DI/pre-amp. I also have a K&K small pre-amp if I need on-the-fly EQ or volume control.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:14 PM

I'm a pedal wannabe, I crave it when I plug my Gibson Les Paul into the system. I crave it less with my acoustics, the most I miss from the acoustic side is the looper, but I really have the same opinion as most, I hate to plug in !!

I'm a closet peddler,

H
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Hi, my name is Rick and I use pedals when playing the acoustic.

No intervention is requested, the only 12 step I'm interested in can be found on the musical scale.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 PM

It depends on the context. In two of the three regular and semi-regular performance situations I work in, I just add a little reverb from my amp, if I'm using one, or the PA mixer. For a few tunes I also add a little short delay for my short lead lines when I play them (mostly I'm playing rhythm acoustic or accompanying myself while singing with strumming or fingerpicking).

The third situation is all about experimenting with sounds, and I use delay, tremolo, flange, reverb, plus a mellotron emulator and a sitar emulator. I just also got a Freeze pedal that lets me set up a steady drone with the mellotron pedal and play over that. It's all a lot of fun and has nothing to do with a natural acoustic sound (or the usual facsimiles thereof).

Louis
Old 01-03-2017, 10:11 PM

I use: a Wampler Ego compressor
a Way Huge Pork Loin
a Radial Elevator
an EHX POG 2
a Source Audio Programmable EQ
a TC Helicon Harmony G XT
a Digitech JamMan Stereo
an Akai Headrush E2 for delay

Some are always on like the EQ and the compressor. The harmony is for vocals and used sparingly, as is the looper. I mostly use the POG for basslines but sometimes for octave solos. I just got the Elevator; I was going to use it as my clean boost, but I like the sound so much that it might be an "always on" pedal. I use the Pork Loin for a little clean boost or if I want to add a bit of grit or girth to my tone. The Headrush used to be my looper, but now I use it for delay (which it does quite well, although it takes up way too much pedalboard real estate).

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Love pedals with my acoustic gigs. I use a vocal harmonizer by TC Helicon, a Digitech Polara in line with a TC Electronics Flashback Delay into a TC Chorus. I also use a Beat Buddy for percussion when desired, used lightly and with minimal going on. The Polara is a very fun pedal if one is inclined to introduce some very weird creative sounds into the mix. I use it mostly for introductions to some songs and less so for some great reverbs. With the delay pedal, the sounds one can get are very out of the box yet still acoustic. The feedback I get from gigging a lot is very positive if all these pedals are used sparingly.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Nope, never. I like the natural sound of my guitars, and at the very most dial in a tiny bit of reverb on my Fishman Artist if the room is deadish. The through signal from my amp goes to the house PA. Don't like it when acoustic guitarists process the sound too artificially. Lindsey Buckingham and Greg Lake (RIP) are great but did that too much for my taste. Might be chorus or might just be a UST, but I don't like the sound.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-04-2017, 10:11 AM

no Im not using pedals
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Yes. But only a Zoom A3. And I just use the modeling thing. As well as it being a preamp boost. Works great on any stage. Runs on battery. Just take a 1/4" from the sound guy, and plug-and-play.

Of course, it can be a DI taking an XLR out and use phantom power. That's an even better boost/solution. But most open mic setups really just want to hand you a 1/4" and be done with it. The Zoom A3 works great for that.

It also have great effects features; reverbs; delays; pitch; tremolo; flange; etc. But I haven't messed with any of that. Though the guy who recommended it to me does, and he loves it.

All in one pedal. (Though programming all that extra stuff seems complicated and obtuse when I peruse the manual. But so far I haven't seen the need to get involved in that yet).
Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 PM

When I first started plugging in, I thought this will never be as good as just acoustic and thought of it only as a necessary evil. Now that I've got my amped tone as good if not better than my non-amped acoustic tone, I'm happy to plug in and use pedals as well.

Isolo Receiver -> Para EQ -> Delay -> Reverb -> Looper -> Jam 150 & 100 in Stereo
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM

I use a simple DI pre and that's about it these days. Depending on the size of the room, reverb takes care of itself. Any more and I find I get distracted with the sound designing rather than on playing. I leave that to the electric players.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification