The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-18-2016, 05:40 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Boy-o I love everything about your revamped design. I liked your aesthetic before, but your changes in body proportion really appeal to me. It doesn't hurt that your wood choices hit it out of the park each time. Specifically I remember the blistered/waterfall maybe Bubinga from Memphis. Good job!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Steve - your new OM looks great! Looking forward to seeing it under finish and hearing some sounds samples. Best of luck with your new line.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:38 AM

Oh sorry Steve, in my excitement, I saw the word sinker and just thought redwood, now the color makes sense to me being sinker Cedar....

Again, looks great and the reveal seems to be going very well!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 AM

Hi Steve! Great job with the new design!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Hello Steve.....she's a beauty!!!

I love the new headstock design.....and that Indian Rosewood is gorgeous. It appears that your timeframe for completion is going to coincide with my trip up to Birmingham for the annual Fall Crappie fishing trip.....lucky me 😇

I noticed that the finger braces aren't tucked into the X-braces, and that you've not used your asterisk bracing pattern on the back of this guitar.

Joel
Hey, Joel! Yes, I will definitely aim for getting this Eclipse all done and ready for prime time, when you come up next month. I REALLY want you to try this baby! I want to hear YOU play it.
You know, living here, I'm very isolated from other players and builders, so I worry sometimes that I'm losing my objectivity, regarding the character of my guitars. Hearing other people, like you and Cliff, playing my guitars, I get a very useful new perspective on them.
Our annual Spring and fall crappie fishing outings are becoming a tradition, huh? Let's fill the boat this time!
And yes also- you are pointing out that my bracing/engineering concepts are still evolving. Minor, incremental changes... and each guitar is a unique piece, so why not really optimize all of them?
I've really been studying Ervin Somogyi's vast wisdom and knowledge, and finding new ways to voice guitars that I'm really thrilled with. I used the Somogyi-style ladder bracing on the back here, and it's light and springy and ACTIVE! The Asterisk pattern works well too, but this ladder pattern is lighter and bouncier.

Can't wait to see how you invent your own processes!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
This really lovely Steve. Do you plan to make it in your Scoop version???
I think something like this would be very nice in Tree Mahogany and T13 Redwood with figured Cocobolo appointments. 😇😇.

Do you plan to offer this spec build for sale, or perhaps keep it for yourself?
Hi, Ken,
Heh heh heh... I see where you're going with this! Yes, the new Eclipse model is designed to be a highly customizable platform, so pretty much any (smart and functional) custom features can be built into it- including a scoop cutaway!

I love your idea of building an Eclipse with "Tree" Mahogany, Tunnel 13 Redwood, and Cocobolo appointments. In fact, my Number 100 build will incorporate ALL those elements! And when it's done, I will be delivering it to YOUR front door! Heh heh...
I decided to build the current Eclipse, featured in this post, as a "tester", before committing those fabulous tonewoods to the Number 100; because I wanted to be sure everything lined up right, and is fully functional- not to mention the aesthetics of this design. I'm happy to report that so far, everything about this new model has met or exceeded my best hopes.

Stay tuned, folks, for a new build thread, featuring Edwinson #100, for Ken. It's already well underway. Spectacular "Tree" Mahogany B&S, Tunnel 13 Redwood top, Cocobolo appointments, scoop cutaway, sound port with slider, and so on... A very special build for my very special friend!

I had originally planned to keep this guitar for myself, at least for a year or two. But there are some new circumstances evolving in my life- a chance to move, get set up in a vastly better workshop, and take my lutherie enterprise up to the next level. More information on all this soon, as the situation develops...
Anyway, there's a LOT of hard work and expense involved in moving lots of heavy machinery, tools, a ton of premium wood, and all that; plus having to find a new apartment and come up with the money for that too. And I will need to find a reasonably dependable used car too...
So I will be offering this first prototype Eclipse OM for sale when it's done, to help drum up some $$$ for the big move.
I have already had two inquiries from people here on the AGF, so it seems to have "struck a chord"! So, the answer is, YES, this guitar will be available for sale in about a month. I will be happy to send it out on approval, and let it speak for itself. Somehow, I don't think this guitar is going to hang around long. Contact me via PM or email for further details if you're interested.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 PM

Another super cool guitar! love the headstock, have wanted to try that idea out for awhile, again looks really cool!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Default New guitar

Way to go Steve, another spectacular design. I can't wait to hear it.
Hm-mm, new larger shop, new location... could there possibly be room for guitar building classes?
Jim
Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 PM

Very nice Steve! I especially like that headstock design.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Wow--your new OM looks amazing! The shape and detailing are truly exquisite--sure wish you were coming to SB with it! Would be awesome to try it out...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

It's a remarkable thing to witness the creation of something so sublime as this. What a beauty! The care, skill and focus is apparent in every detail. Congratulations Steve! Thanks for sharing. --" Build thee more stately mansions, oh my soul".
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I love the headstock design. It reminds me of one of my favourite electric guitars, from MJ Guitars. Love it on theirs, love it on yours!

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnerb View Post
It's a remarkable thing to witness the creation of something so sublime as this. What a beauty! The care, skill and focus is apparent in every detail. Congratulations Steve! Thanks for sharing. --" Build thee more stately mansions, oh my soul".
Hey, Brian- there's going to be a 24"-24.5" multiscale, cutaway, fingerstyle Eclipse OM in YOUR not-too-distant future, too! Really looking forward to putting one of these into your hands! Keep your hopes and expectation high! Hopefully I will deliver it to you in person, and then you can show my the right way to catch a king salmon!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone. It looks like I have four solid orders for Eclipse OM guitars since I first sent the word out on the grapevine!
I'm really looking forward to getting this first one strung. About mid October, this baby will sing!
Since I originally intended to keep this one for myself, at least for awhile, it's actually configured as my ultimate guitar. Fortunately, a lot of other people share similar tastes!
One of these days, I WILL build myself a keeper.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
Way to go Steve, another spectacular design. I can't wait to hear it.
Hm-mm, new larger shop, new location... could there possibly be room for guitar building classes?
Jim
Hey, Jim, I hope you are well, and still enjoying your Consort 000 guitar!
Actually, the guitar building classes are still a ways out... But a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. This move is a big step, but not all the way there yet. But it will be a great opportunity to design and co-create the curriculum for a comprehensive guitar making course. Definitely part of the plan. Stay tuned!
I'll be down on the Gulf Coast- so maybe next time you head down to Florida for some fishing action, we can meet up, and hook up with some big ones!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop