The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 AM

nice clear sound from that guitar though the Buddy Holly - on / off look confused me. The ‘light’ classical playing style is similar to the guy who played the excellent sounding Circa 000 (Maple) on here a while back. Both of you and what I’ve seen and heard here give me the confidence to tackle DADGAD on my OM without the need of buying a DADGAD specific fan fret guitar,
Oh, and a workshop for a guitar is a great trade.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Hi Ian, not a Sobell owner in sight, then you post! Looking forward to A/B-ing with yours.

Westman - probably most Sobell owners play in DADGAD, as it's my only steel string now, I'll be changing between standard and DADGAD a lot though. My workshop doesn't have the resonance of a Kostal sadly!

Here are a few more shots for your delectation.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 AM

That was a real treat! Thanks for uploading Jonny!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 AM

jonnymosco: Just for the record, I have three Sobell guitars and an octave mandolin, so we ARE lurking here! [Model 0E 12 fret, Model 1 and fairly recent MS model in Wenge. I'm mulling selling one and getting a New World model . . . .]

Lovely guitars! Tim

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
My workshop doesn't have the resonance of a Kostal sadly!
you'll just have to create your own in your work.
The aesthetics of your guitar are very different from the ES school.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

One of the best guitars I ever heard was a Sobell. I was sitting about 6-8 feet in front of the player. It was a Model 1. I did not get the opportunity to play that guitar.

The only Sobell I've played was a New World. It was used, and offered at very good price. However, it didn't work for me as a player. I just couldn't hear enough of the guitar's entire voice as the player. It seemed to project well, but there wasn't enough wrap around for me.

I remain intriqued with these guitars; maybe some day.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM

Thanks Michael. You're partially responsible for the new Sobell as it was the TNAG African Blackwood MS that inspired me.

Tim, I wonder if Stefan is doing a New World Steinbeck model? Shame you'e not in the UK, I'd love to play your Sobells.

Westman, as we all know, Somogyi's design aesthetic is adopted/adapted by his apprentices and even though Stefan Sobell doesn't have apprentices in the same way, he has his followers who synthesise his unmistakable aesthetic with their own.

Chuck, the first Steinbeck model I played was very much a wrap-around experience which surprised me and mine is a great experience for the player.

Jonny
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM

All of the details fly off the screen. I love them. I love the red, and the bearclaw. Brilliant playing, Jonny!

Now I get bragging rights by association. That's my teacher!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
Hi Ian, not a Sobell owner in sight, then you post!
Hey! I'm here as well!

I've had four Sobells but moved them all on as I, too, found their rather "cold" personality a touch difficult to live with over time. I swapped them for guitars with a more modern American voice but there are things that Sobells do that none other can, and I do miss them frequently. If yours really does rectify this characteristic, then I could be in the hunt again...

So, looking forward to dinging it in the very near future!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Jonny: From what I've gleaned so far, I think that one of the most important characteristics of the Steinbeck variation on Stefan's guitars is the sitka top, which he has rarely used in the past, iirc. I'm pretty certain that he has built New World models with the bearclaw sitka, so that may be a way to go. Are you aware of any other significant structural changes he made to your new MS?

Once again, beautiful playing! Tim
Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM

Fabulous playing Jonny and fabulous instrument. The studio/shed looking good too. Glad the masterplan worked out and am sure the studio will witness some great music and great art. +1 in the sobell appreciation society.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I've listened to a number of Sobell guitars over the years, and almost bought one based on a recording I heard. Regretted I held back. Loved the tone. Articulate, precise, and sweet sounding. Definitely a wonderfully unique builder.

Stuart
Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM

Thanks for looking James... Skype didn't do it justice. Perhaps one of those DADGAD tunes for next week?

Steve, well it's ding-free so far, I'm hoping it will stay that way, but the first is the worst. And you summed up people's impression of Sobells as cold, I think Stefan is striving for something warmer now.

Tim, I'll have to get my dentist's mirror out to compare with an older MS model, but he did acknowledge that he is constantly experimenting.

gfc, yes, relieved the master plan worked and very much looking forward to working in the new space.

Thanks for the kind comments, it's inspiring to play.

Jonny
Old 03-04-2016, 04:49 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed the video and pictures. Thanks for posting them Jonny.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 AM

I had a fantastic day on Sunday, a few of us UK custom owners got together to play and compare guitars. Loads of great instruments including a fantastic new Astrand, plus the usual suspects: Kostals, Baranik, Sobells, Olson, Wingert, Bowns, Forster... my new Sobell was much admired, which was a relief.

I'm sure others will tell you more.

Jonny

Here are Ian and Steve playing my Steinbeck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop