The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Good Resonator for a Light touch?

Hi all, well I'm looking to maybe get a resonator when I get to Guam and I was wondering if you all have some suggestions for a nice reso that would work well with my style. Most of the resonators I've played which include a few nationals (by a few I mean 3) and each one IMO needed to be played with either fingerpicks or a heck of a heavy hand to get any decent sound and volume out of them.

So are there any resonators out there that are lighter and more responsive to a flesh and nail approach and don't need to be played hard to get good volume?

any suggestions appreciated, I would be using it mostly for slide.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 03-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
IMO needed to be played with either fingerpicks or a heck of a heavy hand to get any decent sound and volume out of them.
I'm not a major reference when it comes to resonators but IMO they're all like you describe. Lots of headroom but requires more attack to sound decent.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM

I have at least six resonator guitars, including tricones. I usually use a thumb pick and no finger picks, and get plenty of volume. Probably the loudest resonator that I have is a wood bodied Nat'l Resophonic Radiotone model. You wouldn't think it would be as loud as a metal body, but it is.

Alvin Youngblood Hart does not use picks and gets plenty of volume from his wood bodied reso, but he is a BIG guy. Paul Rishel plays a tricone without finger picks. I think he uses a thumb pick. He also uses light gauge strings.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Wink

based on the sound you are wanting, you might want to consider a weissenborn-check the site of LazyRiver(Rance White), he makes some awesome weissenborns and the price is very reasonable.

dkc
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

.a national vintage steel tricone is worth checking out...you don't need a heavy hand to drive it...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM

I just sold my National Radiotone Bendaway and would think it would work great with your style, at least from what I can tell from your Youtube clips. The Radiotone has a very sweet and mellow sound you usually don't associate with resonators. It's also very responsive. I played it fingerstyle without nails and had no problem with volume. There are two things about that guitar (and I guess about most Nationals) that I found a little bit of an annoyance:
Baseball neck (it's a handfull) and the bridge cover (makes right hand damping difficult).
I don't know how familiar you are with resonators, but check out Mike Dowling on Youtube, to see how versatile resonator guitars can be.
Christian
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM

National Resophonic changed their neck profile to one that is slimmer when they started using a CNC machine to make their necks. I don't know the date of the change, but you could call Nat'l Reso'.

My Radiotone is an '97 with a fat neck. A friend told me that the Estralita's that he had played were slimmer. I called Nat'l and they told me the later necks are slimmer after the CNC change.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM

National, I play mine with fingers only.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Del Vecchio Dinamico if you can find one.

-Arch
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResoN View Post
National Resophonic changed their neck profile to one that is slimmer when they started using a CNC machine to make their necks. I don't know the date of the change, but you could call Nat'l Reso'.

My Radiotone is an '97 with a fat neck. A friend told me that the Estralita's that he had played were slimmer. I called Nat'l and they told me the later necks are slimmer after the CNC change.
Thanks for the information. I am sure that the Radiotone wasn't my last National. Next time around I will look for a newer model wood body.
Christian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments