The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Resonator Guitar Thoughts and Review of a Few

Hi. I'm fairly new in the guitar part of this forum, having been more known to some for ukulele related threads, but recently the guitar bug bit again. So, new thread on this that some may find interesting.

I tried the Republic steel- overview- Good resonator. Much better than the Regal wood models I was able to try. Much better. The Republic Parlor reso was also huge in sound and very nicely put together. I may still get one of those, that little parlor guitar... huge sound... good playability.. well under 1K, not a whole lot NOT to like. Really, if you're on the fence on the parlor reso, let me push you off.

Played the Dobro, one by Gibson, another by Epiphone, still both Dobro, but the Epi is made overseas, the Gibson.. not sure. Gibson was nicer, Epi was not. I couldn't hear the Epi. Gibson wasn't as nice as the Republics though.

I have decided the spider bridge isn't something I like, all the biscuit bridges were better sounding to me, the spider gives it that nasal quality that bluegrassers like though, but not for me.

National Guitars. My, my, my. What a difference. All of the National models I played -all- were so much nicer than the others, it's...it's.. weird. Something in the tone department on those that is special. I suppose one could just buy a National cone and biscuit.... maybe. Even the Model D, spider bridge, had that thing .

Models played-

Reso Rocket Baritone- really an interesting instrument, very low, but a growl like Leon Redbone's voice. Oh yes.

Reso Rocket- same, but normal reso, yet the tone was outstanding. Not something I'd get tired of, not grating, tone, tone tone.

All the Nats had tone, odd to say regarding a reso, but it is, to my ear, what it is.

El Trovador- comfortable, had the Hot Plate system, sounded pretty good amplified too! Those are pretty cool, you can by a Hot Plate and retrofit it in 5 minutes on your National. Yes, this one was nice. It has the 1.75" neck, the others are all 1.82", which is surprisingly comfortable to me.

National Model D- Spider bridge. Nasal, didn't like the tone, but it was "the" tone of a spider bridge, if you're looking for that bluegrass sound, this was it.

Estalita Deluxe- This came home with me today. I spent an hour with it last week, along with the El Trovador, and went out to play the others at different places. After playing the others, and then playing this one again, the differences were clear. To me anyway, YMMV. I had a piece that the shop wanted, so we made a deal, both to our favor. Wish I could have played an M-2, but there were none. Slight 'V' on the Estralita.

To sum it up, the Republics were worthy contenders, very worthy. Is the National worth +/- 1K more? In a word, noyes. I hope that's not as confusing as it looks.

Oh yeah, I said "I" about a zillion times here. "I" hope that's not a problem as it was in another review "I" did...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM

The new Nationals are not only as good as those made in the mid-1930s but, if you take into account the adjustable neck, possibly better.

Your journey though is not going to be complete without giving an Amistar Resonator a whirl. Made in the Czech Republic and, for my money,the best offshore metal or wood resonators out there.

The Beard Goldtones are also very nice imported instruments.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM

Hi Neal!

Of course it always comes down to your budget.... If it is not an issue, I'm sure you would like a National.
On the other hand, if like me, you don't want to spend too much on a first Reso, I agree with you that Epi and Republic are fine affordable ones, but if I may, let me add Regal to the list. I just purchased one, and was blown away by the playability and sound (listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqXtVE_tlE) of that guitar.
Right out of the box it was set up perfectly for a compromise between slide and finger play, a very comfortable and straight neck, and the price, well...unbeatable!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Hi Guys, Yep the Republic are real good. Epi, Dobro/Gibson, Regal, not so good though, but I only played one example of each. I would have liked to have played a tricone, or even one of the RC-2 models, as the wood was real quiet.

The Estralita came home with me, besides, it was pretty much an even-up trade, I had much less money in the "trade vehicle" than the Nat is worth, so the store and I were both happy.

The Nationals have a sound and playability that was not in the few that I did play. Really comfortable to fingerpick as well as slide.

Those Beard Goldtones are Spider bridge, wood models, attractive due to the fact that they're spec'd by Beard, but you gotta want that spider sound. I'd like to play one of the metal bodied ones, cone/biscuit setup on those.

The Amistar look pretty cool too. Love to try one of those at some point. There's one in Denver at the Folklore Center for sale, but I'm in WI..

Bluespicky, good playing on that Regal. Would have liked to try that one, too.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM

I guess nothing beats to getting a feel of the guitar "in the flesh", to know whether you want it or not, so you did the right thing there.
I bought mine the "risky" way, based on countless reviews, including that of a buddy from a neighboring forum who has one and only had good things to say about it; turns out everything I read/heard got validated when I received and played it, so you can check mark me in the "lucky" box I guess......
The ones I did get to play at local stores while shopping around were a Fender and a Johnson, and I knew I did NOT want either!!!!

Thanks for the kind comment, and enjoy yours!

bp

PS: Great playing too BTW.... Good stuff on that cutaway!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Wow, Neal, some great info here. I spent a couple years on a similar (if not so well traveled) mission and ended up with a Beard Goldtone Deluxe (maple) and a Republic parlor Resolian, both purchased based on online reviews such as your own. While I always enjoy playing both guitars, I oft times repine the Radiotone that got away.

+1 on having to like the spider sound (twang to end all) to really appreciate the Goldtone. Now that I'm more familiar with some of the many nuances of resonator guitars, trading up tothe Estralita might well be my next move, as well.

There's a great article on the history of resonator development on the official National Guitar website.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM

http://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/RESON...TRODUCTION.htm

Here's one as well, I found it looking at the Amistar.

So many.. so many...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:14 PM

Well, tonight my wife and I were making gin and tonics. Don't ask me why, we just were. She prefers Bombay Sapphire, I like Fleischman's Gin, as if you mix it, what the heck.

Now keep in mind, I've had a few gin and tonics, but there really is a reason for this post (hic..buuuurp..).

So I says to the wife--- "Wife, there's no difference, and why would you pay 10-15 smackers a bottle more for that Sapphire stuff?"

We do a taste comparison. The Sapphire has just a tad more taste, y'know, a little more "gin" taste than the Fleischman's. Is it worth 10-15 bucks more?

Which gets me to the point, finally......

They'll get you there, the Republic anyway, but there's that "tad more taste", and is it worth it? Well...... sometimes.

To those with a short wallet, I HIGHLY recommend the Republic. These are really, really good. I really mean that. These are good. I want one of the HWY 61's as I write. They are good. Good, you hear me?! BUT....

To those with more of a discerning taste, I recommend a Fine Resophonic, made by Mike Lewis in France (of all places...) British expatriate... probably a no good. You know the kind...

To those with a good credit rating, and a need for a good, solid fine toned, working man's reso, National. Safe bet all around. I've had the opportunity to play a bunch of these. All EXCELLENT. But Mike Lewis... I'd go for it, but for the bucks.

I'm sure there are some Regal reso's I haven't played which would fall in the Republic category, but if you can't play 'em, Republic is a safe bet for a short wallet, National is a really, really safe bet for a larger wallet, and Fine Resophonics is a...... really safe choice all around period.

I have not played a Fine Resophonic, but search it. If you're reso-centric, you'll find it a joy.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
Hi Neal!

but if I may, let me add Regal to the list. I just purchased one, and was blown away by the playability and sound (listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqXtVE_tlE) of that guitar.
That shiney new guitar already has some serious "mojo" in it! Nice work on that one. Thanks for sharing the video~
Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 AM

Default Regal is a good bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
Hi Neal!

Of course it always comes down to your budget.... If it is not an issue, I'm sure you would like a National.
On the other hand, if like me, you don't want to spend too much on a first Reso, I agree with you that Epi and Republic are fine affordable ones, but if I may, let me add Regal to the list. I just purchased one, and was blown away by the playability and sound (listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqXtVE_tlE) of that guitar.
Right out of the box it was set up perfectly for a compromise between slide and finger play, a very comfortable and straight neck, and the price, well...unbeatable!
I'm with bluespicky on the Regal. My duolian was fantastic right out of the box for slide and fingerstyle blues, then I had a good luthier tweak the nut and make me a better saddle - now it really sings. Amazing bang for the buck. They are not Nationals, but it seems like you hear a lot of good things about them from time-to-time.

Playing a resonator guitar is kind of like putting strings on a chrome-plated garbage can, then hitting it with a baseball bat - only it usually doesn't sound as good as that.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 AM

I am really interested in resonators lately and am following this discussion (nothing to add because I know nothing) but following nonetheless.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default And when money is absolutely no object.........

youse goes to Joisy and gets one a deez:

http://www.terraplaneguitars.com/alb...erCustom1.html

Mark is an amazing builder!

HE
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
National Guitars. My, my, my. What a difference. All of the National models I played -all- were so much nicer than the others, it's...it's.. weird. Something in the tone department on those that is special. I suppose one could just buy a National cone and biscuit.... maybe. Even the Model D, spider bridge, had that thing .

All the Nats had tone, odd to say regarding a reso, but it is, to my ear, what it is.
I've had a National Resophonic Tricone for about a year now...and love it. My ears have gotten used to that tone. I knew it sounded sweet but it wasn't until I was listening to a bunch of YouTube clips of guys playing different tunes that I realized how sweet it was...compared to the other brands.

One song came on...he was a great player...much better than me....but I could tell immediately that he was not playing a National. His reso just did not have that same sweetness. Then I read the notes about the clip which confirmed he was playing one of the other brands....

There is a notable difference...the increased price tag of National Resophonic does buy something tangible.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM

+1 Dotneck.

I also have an NRP, a Style 1 Tricone. I played a Republic Tricone for a week but opted for the NRP. It definitely has the tone, the fit and finish are flawless, and NRP customer service is excellent.

If you're not familiar with Tricone styles, Style 1 is the basic unadorned model - no engraving, no headstock overlay, no heel cap, logo decal on the headstock instead of a badge or inlay. It's a fantastic guitar, it gets everything right, and I love playing it.

Sort of like finding a good Reuben sandwich - it's a simple thing really but rare to find it actually done right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments