The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM

Default Shifting technique

For a while now I've been writing a blog about learning guitar - it's focused on classical guitar, but my teacher graciously posted a video and tips for the blog on how to shift... as this is a technique that is common to all guitarists, I thought I would post it here

Hope you enjoy!
Julie
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM

I read your blog's contribution by Zane, specifically his treatment of the shift and mentally setting them up. I do exactly what he does taking into consideration the horizontal and vertical components of the shift and the dynamics of their combinations. In the instant of a thought I have down which fingers to sequence, launch and land relative to the chords used. Repetition's grooming of muscle memory (practice) now requires only that I pay attention to the progression. My hands automatically take it from there.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Eventually you need to get to the point where 95% of the time pure muscle memory provides the correct finger positions moving from chord to chord.

Pure legato on many chord changes is impossible but you can provide an illusion of such with timing choices - mainly cut note durations short to arrive on the next notes right on the beat (rather than vice versa).

If you are going to use a guide finger(s) jumping to the next chord avoid making string contact during the chord shift or you will hear noise from that (especially on the wound strings).

If the next chord in line includes playing a melody note above all else take extra care that you play that melody note right.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write