The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

Thank you for bringing my attention to the classifieds--as you note, there is a lot of activity with Emerald guitars. I was surprised at the number of FS and WTB notices, and equally surprised at the variety of instruments being moved around...
Hi Evan,

Given that they have no representation in the US, this isn't really surprising. Besides the feedback from a handful of people on this forum, some of whom have since resold their guitars, there is very little info on Emeralds out there. By contrast, you can Google Rainsong and get ten pages of useful info. Folks who ordered an Emerald on blind faith, and find it's not for them, may find it's better to take a loss and sell it used rather than deal with the paperwork, and cost of International shipping back to Ireland. Those that are curious, but are not willing to take a financial risk, are wise to place a WTB ad, letting someone else's loss, become their gain.

Back when I was collecting travel guitars, I would place WTB ads on forums for some lesser known models. I recall wanting to try a Vagabond travel guitar, which at the time was all the rage, even Neil Young had one, but new they were $489 with a six month wait. I placed WTB ads on all the forums, and to my surprise, I received three responses, one for a super rare nylon string version. I bought all three, and although I have better travel guitars, I kept one as a curio. Buying used just makes sense when you can't try the guitar, and there is very little feedback.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Guest 928

Ted;

Did you keep the nylon string?
Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

Did you keep the nylon string?
No, I didn't, Evan. Like my equally rare nylon string Go guitar, it was sold.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I am chuckling....

This is a guitar enthusiast forum and we all get "Gas"

We buy... we sell

I am actually poor at selling. I envy those that can part as quick as they acquire.
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...I think more often than not people buy CF guitars to 'try them out' and even though they like them, when push comes to shove and something needs to go to make room or cash out, the CF guitars get the boot before the wood ones do.
Every person has their own situation and needs. Your "generalization" is based only on your experience, or maybe a person or two you know.

For me and a few other guys I know, the CF has meant playing more guitar! At home, at work, when travelling... virtually anywhere I go... I always have a CF guitar out on a stand or couch, and that is what I grab to play.

I absolutely love my RedSpruce/Walnut Gibson Jackson Browne, truly a stellar instrument, the best Gibson has made IMO... but the truth is it sits in it's case most of the time. It takes an effort to pull it down, open it up, tune it, handle it super gently for fear of dings and scratches, clean it when I am done.

I LOVE playing the wood Gibson, but it takes an effort... most often my limited time leads me to grab a CF instrument, and I also love playing my WS-1000 and my L13. Because of CF, I play more. If one guitar had to go, it would be with deep sadness, but it would be the Gibson.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83SanDimas View Post
I am chuckling.... I envy those that can part as quick as they acquire.
It is not an easy choice, but it is a choice. You like having a lot of guitars. I only want 3... I sell because that is my rule.

I don't have time to play and fuss with more than 3 guitars, and if they are sitting in a case I don't need them (well... my Gibson mostly sits in a case... but it is far superior to any guitar I have ever owned, it is why I have 3 and not 2). I only get a new guitar if I have found an upgrade that sings to me, and then one of the 3 has to go... my choice.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

You condensed my reply a bit

My original reply is in response to the OP.

I believe on a forum like the AGF enthusiast get a chance to buy and sell guitars. When they sell it does not mean they dislike them. It may often mean they need the funds to try another guitar. Their are many regret threads here as well.

I admire those that can sell and keep the collection down to the most often played guitars. If I could do that I know I would be a more focused song writer.
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM

I have found over 40+ years of playing and gigging that when I find one that just for some reason works best I keep it..my Les Paul stayed with me for 10 yrs. of band work and was a great all around guitar for that purpose but after that long with it on my shoulder it did it's damage. Weighed a ton!
When I no longer worked with the band I found my fondness for it dwindled and I was no longer playing hit country and rock, and I sold it off to buy my first of many acoustics as I had become interested in Bluegrass. After playing that slim neck and super low action it was a tough transition. My first D18 was a tank and tough action for sure, but that was prior to knowing much and didn't realize setup is a necessary step.
Now i keep only what I really like and have over the years traded and sold to achieve my final goal, one electric, one wood acoustic, and one CF for outdoors and travel in the RV. I'm almost there.
However being a nut as usual I have had a gass attack in the last two days after seeing that new guitar from Blackbird, so may end up with two CF's it's really tempting, just wish it was short scale.........but who knows, maybe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber