The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Golden Gate Rounded Triangle Mandolin Picks

Anybody else enjoy using these picks? When walternewton sent me a "small horde" of picks for the guitar club kids to try, well - I had to try some of them out, too. And there were a few of these in the mix. Now it's my favorite pick!

I love the way they just glide over the strings - and I'm not finding nearly as much pick noise as with the standard-shaped picks I was using. Plus, every "corner" is good to go!

I checked at three different music shops in my area, but nobody had ever seen them before. Then I found them online for $10/dozen.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM

I bought one of these awhile back because of the shape, but I really don't care for the sound. To me it has a dull sound, as if the material it's made of is sort of soft. I still prefer celluloid.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying experimenting with 'em too

I like the Golden Gate a lot for playing mandolin (and like the beveled Wegen M150 even better - they're 5 bucks a pop, though).

For guitar I also tend to use a thick/stiff pick, but prefer more of a point - right now I like Utlex 1.14mm large triangles.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Tried em... liked em.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying experimenting with 'em too
By the way - when the kids see the variety of picks available, they just kind of get all excited. It's like they never realized there were so many different types. I encourage them to change regularly and try 'em all out!

Thanks for providing that experience for the kids! Your kindness and generosity is greatly appreciated - and the kids think it's cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments