The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-21-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Resonator Guitars. Tricone cheapy question

A question for the forum.

I've played and owned a number of Dobro and National wood bodied instruments, heck, I've had a number of resonator instruments, and always end up selling them away. I just... well, I just don't find the sound pleasant on a permanent basis. But, having said that, I do find them appealing on a temporary basis, and I like to play slide so a statement and then a question to those that have played the Nationals--

I've played a lot of nice National instruments, I want an all brass body, or steel, or whatever, I love the tricone, and like how the Nat plays. It's quality.

I DO NOT WANT TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A NATIONAL. Just want to get that out of the way.

Do the Regal, Recording King, Republic, or others stack up? Or am I just wishful thinking? You can buy these at under 7 bills all day, and the Nat... well......

I just sold the only all brass reso I ever had, a John Morton concert ukulele. Now I want it's big brother.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Default Regal

After doing my research and talking to people who own one, I went for the Regal RC 2 resonator, and I can confirm everything I heard and read about it:
Best resonator bang for your bucks.
For the price I paid, I could not believe how great that guitar felt and sounded.
Awesome neck, straight as an arrow and set perfectly for a mix of slide and finger playing right out of the box.
I was jamming with a harp player yesterday and made a couple recordings on a digital Fostex, and as I was listening to the tracks, I thought to myself: "why would you want to spend$1500 or $2000 more on a national?"
That said I hear Republics are pretty good too.
I would not recommend Johnson or Fender however, I played them both and they don't even compare to the Regal.
Don't know about Recording Kings other than they are priced right also...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Neal

I would try Republic Guitars (states) or Busker Guitars (in England). Both of these import National "style" guitars - the quality ranges from adequate to very good. I have been impressed. Both companies have proprietary models - or models unique to them and both companies have guitars that are very similiar (as in both of them use the same shop in asia to make their instruments).

I have been able to play a repubic parlor - very very good for the price charged.

Other than that, I do not know what to share with you. I have not been impressed by Regal (opinions will vary of course), Johnson or Recording King (but I do feel that RK is worth a second look).

Good luck

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 11-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM

I play Republic resos (tricone and biscuit).
Well, at least they were Republic originally.
The main reason is the 1 7/8" nut.
Then I'm customizing them, National cones, tuners, work on frets, improving the whole stick assembly, move mushrooms, etc...
They become quite nice instruments.
This is what I like with resos : you can really improve them a lot. YMMV.
Of course, on a National all the work is already done.
But I like to tweak my guitars anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 PM

I was very impressed with the quality of my Regal RC51-TT
I only sold it because I was more comfortable with the 14 fret neck on my Duolian.

Dan

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Guest 2143

I have owned a Regal RC-1 for about six years and gig with it regularly. I did modify it quite a bit, but it has always sounded great to me and the neck is still real straight even with the ridiculous string gauges I have put on it. Stays in tune well too.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I have owned a Regal RC-1 for about six years and gig with it regularly. I did modify it quite a bit, but it has always sounded great to me and the neck is still real straight even with the ridiculous string gauges I have put on it. Stays in tune well too.
What modifications did you make? I, too, have one and like the sound of it, especially for the price.

Ray
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I have work to do now.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 PM

I played an Estralita Deluxe, cutaway National baritone tricone, 14 fret Dobro, one of the earlier/later Gibson I believe, and an Epiphone Dobro Hound Dog.

Hound Dog is out of the question, sort of felt like one of those 100 dollar guitars and sounded like a 40 dollar one.

The other Dobro was better, but not much. Glossy neck, not a very complete sound, but it did have 14 frets.

The baritone tricone was interesting, heavy as a tank, but it felt nice. Baritone made the sound a little quieter, but it was certainly interesting. I liked it, but wouldn't consider it.

Estralita Deluxe. How sweet are these... sounded very, very fine. Played effortlessly.

Still have to play a Regal, etc... maybe.

National most certainly does something out of the box to get these to play and sound like that. Really something special.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I have a Republic Miniolian, I like it a lot, great sound for a small box and fun to play.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:16 PM

hard to go wrong with a Republic. Incredible quality for the price. I own a triolian and love it very pleasant to play and very well built.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 PM

How about the Gold Tone Paul Beard models?

Gold Tone Paul Beard

Jim
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Edited- new thread

Last edited by Neal; 12-06-2009 at 09:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments