The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Default How many reverbs do you use in a mix?

My recordings are mostly acoustic guitars, harmonica, vocals, and percussion. I mix in the box and I generally use a long and a short Lexicon reverb on aux sends as my primary verbs in any given mix. Then I may use a third reverb such as an Abbey Road plate or an Eventide for a specific effect on an instrument.

I generally compress and eq my reverbs to help them sit in the mix. On my primary vocal verb I'll cut around 3K and roll off the low bass and high treble.

I've heard of folks giving each instrument a different reverb but find that I prefer it sounding as though the instruments share a common space.

What kinds of reverbs are you folks using on your guitars and vocals and how do you apply them to your mixes?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM

I'm currently using two reverbs:

The TAL Reverb 4 on almost everything for a vintage sense of space.
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb-4

The Valhalla Plate on strings where that wet sound is cool (like dobro).
https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-plate/
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM

The old-school way was to use sends and stereo returns because your all-hardware studio probably only had one or two reverb units. I started out doing that ITB, too, but over time it's less and less.

Partly because I'm using more delays and fewer reverbs generally. Partly because each element's reverb might sound best with a specific decay time or predelay or hf rolloff or what have you. And partly because I've grown fond of panning an element's reverb in the same direction as the dry element.

I've never been big on compressing or eq'ing the sends or returns, but maybe I should be.

Couch Standards
Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Partly because I'm using more delays and fewer reverbs generally.
Let's include delays with reverbs for the purpose of this thread. What reverbs and delays do you...

I should use delays more than I do. Especially when you consider how easy it is to time a delay to the tempo of a recording using your DAW.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Increasingly I use only 1 aux channel but I vary the amount of referral from the original channels.

I always use it on vocals (carefully) but not always on guitar.

Valhalla Room mostly.
Martin J40
Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Let's include delays with reverbs for the purpose of this thread. What reverbs and delays do you...
For delay I mostly use the stock PT one. It's fast and easy. Reverbs, mostly the Digi Reverb One and Valhalla Room.

I don't generally calculate delay times, just earball it. Seems to me that sometimes when you get it exactly on the note value, it kinda disappears.

Couch Standards
Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM

I typically setup 2 reverbs: a longer one & shorter one (or bigger space & smaller space). So the "bigger" 'verb pushes things back in the mix while the "shorter" one keeps them forward.

Been using H-Reverb and the stock eVerb in Digital Performer. I tried them all and found these 2 to give me what I want with the least fuss.

I EQ my reverbs depending on their purpose and am a fan of some ducking compression to keep everything tidy.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

For electric guitars I like to use a Boss Fender Reverb pedal. For acoustic guitars and drums I really like the gold plate patch on the Lexicon PCM 91.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM

I tend to go light on reverbs. I may just be me, but most of the time when I can hear reverb on something I think it's too much

I'll use good old-fashioned amplifier spring reverb on electric guitar sometimes, but with moderation.

I've got an Eventide stereo delay plug-in I'll use, or even the simple reverb plug in that comes with Focusrite Scarlet interfaces. I have an older Lexicon rack mount unit I used to use more than I do now.

I'll use a plate reverb plug in on vocal or drums tracks sometimes. There an Izotope plate reverb plug in on my mixing/mastering system as well as one in Adobe Audition.

Delays I use a whole lot of. Everything from just a touch of short time, few repeats with high frequency roll off on vocals, to outrageous ones based off some of the Logic Pro delay presets.

With the exception of that electric guitar amp reverb, I almost never "print" reverb. It's always added when mixing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I generally use one, a Bricasti M7 hardware unit. I set it up as an insert on it's own Aux track and send to it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 PM

I have a template that has 6 various reverb sends on it, ranging from ambience to a long hall, a couple plates, etc.

But I don't usually use much and have evolved toward primarily using delays. With delays I find they generally clutter up the mix less plus it's possible to create greater front to back depth.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Two, one longer, one shorter.

sends and returns

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM

I set up reverb busses (actually my Reaper template that I use for starting new projects has everything set up already).
I have one bus for vocals, one for instruments and one for drums, and I use pre-fader sends from each track to the busses. (Because I use pre-fader sends is why I use separate busses, so there are no artifacts from off tracks).
I will use the same IR file for all busses so that they all sound in the same place, but change the pre-delay, longer for the drums, middle length for instruments, shorter for vocals.
My favorite 'room' IR is the La Scala Opera House.

On the lead vocal, I may use a different IR - a plate, or sometimes a delay. If I use a delay, I may send the lead vocal to the vocal reverb bus, but it depends on the overall mix.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD