The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Red face The first of what will likely be many senior moments

Just purchased a brand new Larrivee OM-40R (Moonwood Spruce top) over the weekend. Since the strings on the guitar were just about done, I was given a fresh set to put on as part of the purchase. I finally got around to changing strings last night, while my 15 year old was bending my ear about letting her get a dog.

I spent an hour playing in the new strings and asked my classically trained pianist wife to listen. She had a bit of a quizzical look on her face & when I was done auditioning the guitar, she said, it sounds nice, but I don't hear much treble. I spent the rest of the evening playing and listening. She was right, it was as if the high E string was dead, little volume, no shimmer. Since I've only been playing for 2 1/2 years and am far from experienced, I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the guitar & I was bumming.

On the way home from work this evening, I picked up a fresh set of the same strings at the local shop and mentioned my problem. The shop was stumped other than maybe I somehow had an out-of-the-package single dead string. I spent another hour playing and decided to swap out the high E with a new one. As I pulled the string off the guitar, I noticed the ball color was purple, so of course I hunted for the purple ball in the package of new strings. As I was about to put the new string on, I glanced over at the back of the package. Purple is the B string, not the high E. Apparently I had inadvertently swapped strings when I strung up the guitar yesterday and had the high E string playing open B, and the poor B string playing open high E.

Once I replaced both strings with fresh ones, the Larrivee sounded like that lovely guitar I fell for in the shop and with a big sigh of relief, I spent the rest of this evening enjoying learning about my new guitar. This does not bode well for the nursing home years.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 PM

They made a movie about this very thing, 'The Color Purple'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Congrat's on a very cool, new, guitar. Glad you got the absent highs sorted out.

Dogs are good -- +1 for letting Her get a dog Dad. I have some bias for shelties. With or without sight.

My "Healey"
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 09-19-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Healey
Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I hate to break it to you, shekie; but based on my own senior moments, yours is not even memorable. Of course, that's the beauty of senior moments; as they increase, our memories begin to decrease. In the end, it's all good....

Here's a string changing sequence from one senior to another:
1) Open string package
2) Remove all individual strings in envelopes
3) Do not remove or change order of individual string packages
4) Brush up on metric system/decimals
5) Doublecheck that strings are in decreasing numerical value
6) Remove one string at a time beginning with the Low E as you change strings
7) Do not remove string from its own envelope until you're ready to change that string
8) Use coated strings so you don't have to do this very often....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-19-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Ummm, what were we talking about?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Guest 1511

After the second or third sentence I knew where this was going, because I once transposed the G and B string and had a dickens of a time tuning up and it sounded really weird once I did. It wasn't obvious because this was an unwound G string.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

I don't think - or perhaps I should say - ARE there string makers that still use those useless little paper envelopes ?

The OP mentioned the colour purple relating to the B string. that tells me he was using D'addario strings which are (supposedly) packed together in a hermetically sealed single package.

Their colour system normally prevents such errors (although I'll shamefacedly admit to mixing up a D & G once or twice. I have the colour pattern on the wall above my worktop.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I hate to break it to you, shekie; but based on my own senior moments, yours is not even memorable. Of course, that's the beauty of senior moments; as they increase, our memories begin to decrease. In the end, it's all good....

Here's a string changing sequence from one senior to another:
1) Open string package
2) Remove all individual strings in envelopes
3) Do not remove or change order of individual string packages
4) Brush up on metric system/decimals
5) Doublecheck that strings are in decreasing numerical value
6) Remove one string at a time beginning with the Low E as you change strings
7) Do not remove string from its own envelope until you're ready to change that string
8) Use coated strings so you don't have to do this very often....
9) Lock the door to the string changing room before the 15 year old can enter
Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
Congrat's on a very cool, new, guitar. Glad you got the absent highs sorted out.

Dogs are good -- +1 for letting Her get a dog Dad. I have some bias for shelties. With or without sight.

My "Healey"
Yes, lovely guitar, though I'm still adjusting to the relatively flat fretboard.

As for the dog, we are continuing protracted, intense negotiations with headquarters (spousal unit).
Old 09-20-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I don't think - or perhaps I should say - ARE there string makers that still use those useless little paper envelopes ?

The OP mentioned the colour purple relating to the B string. that tells me he was using D'addario strings which are (supposedly) packed together in a hermetically sealed single package.

Their colour system normally prevents such errors (although I'll shamefacedly admit to mixing up a D & G once or twice. I have the colour pattern on the wall above my worktop.
Yes, they are D'addario EXP's, and Mr. D'addario may think he has a foolproof system, but he hasn't met my daughter when she gets amped up about something
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
10) Tell the 15 year old that it's past time that she moved out, got a job and a place of her own because by now you've long forgotten that she's only 15....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-20-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Why is a paper envelope 'useless', in your opinion? In my (cardboard) spare strings box I have some ancient Martin plain steel strings in paper envelopes which must be over 10 years old. No rust, no damage. The same with an old set of mandolin strings, similarly packaged.

Last edited by AndrewG; 09-20-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 AM

+1 for envelopes
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
And don't forget that your wallet and car keys belong on your side of the door.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Why is a paper envelope 'useless', in your opinion? In my (cardboard) spare strings box I have some ancient Martin plain steel strings in paper envelopes which must be over 10 years old. No rust, no damage. The same with an old set of mandolin strings, similarly packaged.
I agree. If they're so "useless" how is it that I can purchase good singles from my local music store from inventory that is as much as two years old?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion