The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Default For those who use coated strings . . . collecting your thoughts?

When considering coated strings, such as Elixirs (or whatever other coated brand you usually use):

Are all the strings of your brand coated -- or just the 4 wound strings?

Does it matter to you if the plain steel non-wound strings are coated or not?

Is there a general rule among string companies? Do most companies coat only the wound strings?

As far as I can tell, Elixirs (I am currently using Elixir Nanoweb PB .011-.052) seem to coat only the wound strings . . . I think?

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic.

Fender CD60ce
Yamaha FGX720SC
Taylor 410ce
Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM

I try to get ones where all 6 are coated. Otherwise, they rust so quickly. I think that Elixirs (some of them at least) coat all 6. I also think that ClearTone does as well. Most workers at guitar shops will know.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Elixir plain strings are galvanized to prevent oxidation, but are not coated.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Martin also has some kind of treatment on their Lifespan B and E unwound strings.
They are my choice for coated/treated strings.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:23 PM

I use Elixir Nanowebs and it doesn't matter to me that the plain strings aren't coated, as - for me - the lower strings lose their tone quicker in general.

I sweat a lot when playing and I have to make sure I don't leave too much oil and sweat on the strings. Years ago when touring I would change strings a minimum of every three days, even that was pushing it. Elixir came on the scene when I was out of the music biz for awhile, but I love the concept. They sound 85-90% as good as a nice phosphor bronze set but last 10 times as long.

That said, I do not record with Elixirs.

I tried Cleartones twice and HATED them - bad batches? I know a lot of people like them...

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM

I notice that after awhile the coating of the wound strings starts to flake or peel away. There are tiny little filaments hanging off -- especially where I pick and strum the strings.

I do not see this process happening on the plain/unwound strings.

The flaking of the string coating doesn't really bother me. It is just an observation.

I do not notice a degradation in sound quality -- perhaps because it is a more gradual process?

I wonder what effect this peeling-away process has on sound?

Does anyone have a strong opinion?

Fender CD60ce
Yamaha FGX720SC
Taylor 410ce
Old 09-19-2017, 08:33 PM

I had Elixir on my Gallagher when I bought it. I liked them but felt that they imparted a sort of "plastic" character to the sound. I switched to Martin Retro and like them so far. They seem to nudge the overall tone toward a mellower sound. On my other guitars, I like EXPs better than Elixirs.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Coated string get dirty and look awful after a couple weeks so I don't really see the point in using them. Unless it's on guitars you rarely play.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 AM

I think all of the 'coated' makers treat the plain strings for longevity/anti rust and coat the wound. Tried most of them over the last couple of years just ta see. Mostly 80/20 blend Custom Lights 11-52.

Cleartones, wasn't a fan, didn't like the feel or the longevity. The Martin Lifespans, similar but not quite the same, felt stiff like a gauge or two heavier.

Monels as an outrider where nice but didn't last well and added squeakiness through the PA. Have not tried the Dad retros ones whatever they're called. Nickel bronze or something.

ESP decent but not as long lived as might be expected, slightly more original non coated 80/20 sound.

Finally pretty much settled on the Elixir Nano once I got over that slightly odd initial slippery feel. Good life, usually 3 weeks to a month or so gigging twice a week. Clean sound a little softer than trad 80/20's. They're exxie down here so I buy several packs of those triple specials when they're on.

My thoughts which may of course differ from others.

Kris
Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I use Elixir Nanowebs and it doesn't matter to me that the plain strings aren't coated, as - for me - the lower strings lose their tone quicker in general.

I sweat a lot when playing and I have to make sure I don't leave too much oil and sweat on the strings. Years ago when touring I would change strings a minimum of every three days, even that was pushing it. Elixir came on the scene when I was out of the music biz for awhile, but I love the concept. They sound 85-90% as good as a nice phosphor bronze set but last 10 times as long.

That said, I do not record with Elixirs.

I tried Cleartones twice and HATED them - bad batches? I know a lot of people like them...
Elixir is now offering phosphor bronze nanowebs and I have them on one of my guitars right now. They are brand new to the market so many stores still do not carry them. The salesman at one of my local stores swore they are the best Elixir has ever offered and after playing with them for a few weeks I will have to agree with him. They are very nice sounding, the best Elixir strings I've ever used, and they cost the same as the others.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 AM

I've been buying Elixer Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze for awhile now. (4 months?) I'm in Canada, but they do seem to be readily available. Recently read where the plains' treatment may have changed.

I use 11's, and 12's, on my OM's (mahogany & rosewoods) and while I'm not really totally happy, they're close enough. I keep buying them anyways. I don't think I'll ever not want a 'better' string.

I don't have particularly acidic sweat issues. I finger pick, and both ends are noticeably fuzzy after about 20 hours. After 40 hours they appear bare where played heavily. I gather, from various reviews, the wounds are coated, and plain are plated to discourage rust.

I find the fuzziness mildly distracting/annoying -- but I do keep buying. Always considering experimenting with the next set.

Edit: I've never even seen Poly's at the local 'chain' here. Just an empty rack slot -- for years. Keep meaning to order a set, or two, from online suppliers.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
Coated string get dirty and look awful after a couple weeks so I don't really see the point in using them. Unless it's on guitars you rarely play.
Really? Not in my 20 year's experience of using nothing but Elixir. They remain bright and clean until the day I retire them. Then again I don't buy strings for how they look...
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post

So you're saying a coated string get's dirty faster than a non-coated string..

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM

My Tacoma DR-20 is very loud and sometimes a bit harsh. Sometimes I string it with Elixirs because they seem to give it a smoother tone.

The other day, the guy who runs the local guitar store told me that D'Addario manufacturers the coated strings for Elixir, but Elixir holds the patent.

He said D'Addario's own brand of coated strings apply the coating to the individual wire before it is wrapped around the core of the string. And only Elixir has the patent to dip the entire, already wound string into a coating.

This gives the Elixirs a leg up on D'Addario, because they do a better job at keeping gunk from building up in the grooves between the windings of the wound strings.

I don't know if this is true. But it sounds good.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Elixir plain strings are galvanized to prevent oxidation, but are not coated.
Well then, I can count myself eligible to comment on this thread because as much as I like my D'addario EJ17s -because on my Collings dreads (which don't need too much treble) I prefer to put lights (16 & 12) on them, and I try to get Elixir anti-rust plains.

I have never had strings "rust" bt the do discolour and (I think) the Elixirs discolour a little less.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion