The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your service. I am retired Army and spent 4-1/2 years in Germany at Ramstein and Bitburg (I was a missile maintenance officer) from 1979-1983. A lot has changed since then. I recommend you find one of the Martin dealers and then ask the folks there how to go about finding a used one. I'm sure there are ways to put WTB ads in local papers or forums. You probably won't have a problem getting the guitar back to the states, but keep your sales receipts or whatever. Sometimes if an item was imported to Germany, and you state so on your household goods when returning back to the states, there may be issues with import / export laws.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Stateside, you can get a new D 18 for under $2,000 U.S. The new ones (post 2012) get universally excellent reviews, & I think they are consistently great guitars. I don't know what additional costs you migh incur getting it to Germany. One of the forum sponsors/ Martin dealers would be a good place to start looking.
Thanks for your service.

Last edited by Vol46; 09-19-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Won't you be coming home for leave before you PCS out of there?

If so, you should set up a purchase through a forum sponsor like Maury's Music and have it shipped to your home back here in states. (or wherever you go on leave). A brand new D-18 is right in your budget with a bit left for strings and stuff.

I suggest this for warranty purposes.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM

First off, Wow, Thank you all for your time and insights!

I had no idea that there were so many Martin dealers over here! So glad that I joined up here at the AGF to ask. Super friendly and helpful advice from all of you. Very much appreciated!

I have had some contact with some dealers back in the States overnight and they have said that they ship APO all the time, so that is also settled. Buying here would be okay but there is the whole VAT forms thing as well as bringing it back when I PCS. Probably would not be that much of a hassle but I prefer to go through US dealers, if possible. I will not be returning to the Sates for at least a year and I would like to get it before Christmas--never was one for patience.

I am at Landstuhl, right near Ramstein and it looks like there are 2 or 3 dealers/shops with Martins within an hour of me.

Since I will not have the funds until November, it gives me plenty of time to "test drive" a few models.

I really like the advice about getting the 18 model. I have been torn between the 18/28/35 models but I only play at home and on Scout trips so nothing huge. Very small audiences in very small rooms/areas. Nothing on stage/professional, ever. I just play basic chords, no picking and I doubt that I will start picking anytime soon. Someone also suggested the "000" instead of the Dread and that seems to make sense as well.

What do others think? Just interested in opinions as I am not very smart about all of this.

Lastly, what year to buy? New with warranty or used (cheaper) but no warranty? If used, I have read that the post-2014 '18's are best? Is this true in your opinions?

And thanks for the "thanks" for my service. Same goes to all of you out there that are my Brothers (and Sisters) in arms, past and present. Three years until military retirement for me. Getting excited to head back to Vermont in 2020 and start my life in the "Real" world!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

One factor that you should be aware of - is that most items in the EU are subject to app. 20% Tax (VAT) But it is always included in the price shown.
I know that in the USA sometimes you pay a very small amount of purchase tax, but it is never shown.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Try www.tfoa.eu based in Netherlands
+1. Rudi is a good guy -- I've dealt with him a couple of times, and he has a great selection.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:30 AM

In the realm of, "Smaller" guitar, I'll add (typically) a 000 is short scale and the OM is long scale. Short scale, facilitates fretting and offers less string tension. Long scale (which is typical for almost all dreads and typical guitars) gives a bit more string tension, etc.

Folks like one, folks like the other.

For a workhorse one-man guitar, I'd chose a long-scale OM. Easy for me to say, 'cause that's what I did.

YMMV.

f-d
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Go to Session in Walldorf (just south of Heidelberg), and try out different Martin models. When you settle on one, order it from one of the forum sponsors. Even with a VAT form, you won’t get anywhere near as good of a price.

For PCS’ing back to the States, just ship the guitar in your household goods or unaccompanied baggage. If anything happens to it (which is extremely unlikely), you can file a claim and get it repaired or replaced.

————edit————

Here’s the link to their site.

https://www.session.de/filialen/walldorf/

Last edited by dneal; 09-20-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 AM

Where are you stationed in Germany? I have has positive experiences with the following stores.
In general, I have found used instruments harder to come by here...

In the Cologne area there is a big box store (www.musicstore.de)

www.beyers-music.de in Cologne does sell used instruments, their website is not up to date with their inventory.

The New Acoustic Gallery is also, a good place to check out (just north of Cologne)
http://n-a-g.info/

In Munich the Folkladen is work checking out (not sure if they have used or not - their website has very little on it)
http://folkladen.de/

As previous persons stated though, prices are better in the US.

Various stringed instruments

Last edited by rsmillbern; 09-20-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added additional info and fixed typo
Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Since you are in germany and all...

Germany has a fine Guitar building tradition.... CF Martin was German and built in the German tradition when he got here in the USA....

There are many luthiers making instruments right there in Germany... Many of these are fantastic... And quite a few of them copy Martin and Gibson patterns if thats what you want...
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM

My recommendation on what year to buy is based on what I think I read in your posts. You want quality sound but on a budget. I've found that buying a 1-5 year old guitar is typically where I get the best bang for the buck. I think the newer Martin's are of excellent build quality and sound. If you don't mind buying one without a full new guitar warranty you can save a lot of money buying one slightly used. You are also more likely to find one that's hardly been played. Good luck.

BTW, I went over to Heidelberg for a couple of weeks in August to visit with my daughter who was studying there. I had a wonderful time and had some very tasty beer. Enjoy your time there.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRogers View Post
I have been torn between the 18/28/35 models but I only play at home and on Scout trips so nothing huge.

I just play basic chords, no picking and I doubt that I will start picking anytime soon.

What do others think?
Since you asked, I think the 35 might be better suited to what you want to do. A few months ago, I spent about an hour switching back and forth between an 18, 28 & 35. They were more "alike" than they were different, but the biggest difference was that chords sounded better on the 35. Flatpicking/fiddle tunes were better on the 18 & 28.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM

Welcome to Germany, I hope you have a nice time over here.
If you can order from the U.S without crazy shipping fees and additional VAT, do that. New Martins are crazy expensive here, plus I don't think you get the lifetime warranty. At least on Gibsons you don't.
The biggest music store around you would be Session Music in Wiesloch-Walldorf, 15minutes south of Heidelberg. The last time I was there (like 2 months ago) they had like 4 Standard Martins, 3 signature/custom and a couple of lower priced ones. Plenty of Gibsons and Taylors too.
I think the Session Music located in Frankfurt might have a few more in stock.

If you go to their website you can check which they have in stock to try out and where.

A used Martin D28 goes for about 1900€ around here. Maybe 1700 if you are lucky.
This is the Craigslist of Germany https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...k0c74l9743r200
Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 PM

I've been to both, and Session in Walldorf is a much nicer store than the one in Frankfurt. Frankfurt is smaller, more crowded, and more "Guitar Center"-like (i.e.: noisy with wannabe rock-stars banging away). The warehouse is just down the street from the Frankfurt location though, so you can buy something in stock but not on display, and run down to the warehouse to pick it up.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Like others mentioned, your service to our country is much appreciated.

Now, I am going in another direction here, but since you are in Germany, it would be ill-advised for you to not check out Lakewood guitars while on your Martin journey. They're pretty well sought-after here in the states, but are made and based out of Germany. I've wanted to play one for a while given what I have heard about them (and who plays them!!). Might be worth checking out if nothing else.

Good luck on your search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion