The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 AM

Default Wireless printer issue...

We switched ISP's a few days ago. The new wireless modem/router is supposed to be 2.4ghz/5.0ghz, dual band.

All is well except, I can't get my HP C4500 printer on the network. It is 2.4ghz.
Also, our computers can only see and log onto the 5.0ghz network.

I called the ISP and they said talk to HP, but it's an older printer. (not their problem. Imagine that.)

Do I need a new printer? If I do, I can't find one that specifically states it will work on a 5.0 network.

AGF braintrust... Help this old 'puter dummy out here. What's the solution?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Get a USB cable for it! HP and Canon are notorious for obsoleting their printers.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Get a USB cable for it! HP and Canon are notorious for obsoleting their printers.
Thank you Mike, But I've tried a USB cable direct from the printer into the router and no success there either.

It does work when I USB into the computers though. Just not wireless.

I have no objections to buying a new printer, but I have a bunch of ink I'd like to burn up in this HP first.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've had this issue before with a Canon printer. For me, it doesn't matter if the computers are on the 5.0 or the 2.4 network. The main issue is getting the printer to stay connected to the 2.4 network.
-I had to set the router with a custom password and then hand enter the network info into the printer.
-Make sure your computer is looking for a wireless printer. Mine keeps wanting to default to the wired printer (there's not even one attached). I have to check every time.
-There's YouTube videos on how to connect almost any printer to wireless. Watch one for your model.

Good luck.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I've had this issue before with a Canon printer. For me, it doesn't matter if the computers are on the 5.0 or the 2.4 network. The main issue is getting the printer to stay connected to the 2.4 network.
-I had to set the router with a custom password and then hand enter the network info into the printer.
-Make sure your computer is looking for a wireless printer. Mine keeps wanting to default to the wired printer (there's not even one attached). I have to check every time.
-There's YouTube videos on how to connect almost any printer to wireless. Watch one for your model.

Good luck.
Yes, this seems to be a popular problem from what my google searches have produced.

I'm off to youtube...

Thank you.

Edit: Went to youtube, could not find the info on my particular printer. I suppose I'm off to chitzbuysanewprinter.com

Last edited by chitz; 05-16-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 PM

You can attach the printer to a computer and then "share" the printer as you would a drive. The only issue then is that that computer must be on, to use the printer.

FWIW That was how I ran my old, non networked printers for years. My current printer is an old ex-govt, HP laser printer that works fine over my network with no setup issues at all.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Probably not your issue but...

When I upgraded from Win7 to Win10, I lost most of my wireless functions on my 3(?) year old HP printer.
I lost all ability to scan to computer for instance which is most annoying.
Sometimes for no reasons to myself, my laptop will not see my printer.
I have to remove/reinstall power from the printer and restart the laptop to fix this.
On occasion I need to go into control panel and reselect the printer.

Anyways, good luck!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:15 PM

If the computers are only seeing the 5ghz network, then I would suspect that the 2.4ghz band is turned off in the router settings.

Do you have the password to the router, so that you can login and make setting changes? If so, login and poke around to see if you can find a setting for dual band mode. It may be set to 5ghz only.

If not, ask your provider to verify that it is in dual mode.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 05-17-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
If the computers are only seeing the 5ghz network, then I would suspect that the 2.4ghz band is turned off in the router settings.

Do you have the password to the router, so that you can login and make setting changes? If so, login and poke around to see if you can find a setting for dual band mode. It may be set to 5ghz only.

If not, ask your provider to verify that it is in dual mode.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Gary, I am pretty sure it is broadcasting on both 2.4 & 5.0. When the tech first set it up, I saw both on my list of networks menu. Tech recommended to use the 5.0, so I did.
But since then, the 2.4 is not on the drop down menu. Weird. I can't even manually enter it.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
You can attach the printer to a computer and then "share" the printer as you would a drive. The only issue then is that that computer must be on, to use the printer.

FWIW That was how I ran my old, non networked printers for years. My current printer is an old ex-govt, HP laser printer that works fine over my network with no setup issues at all.
Before we switched ISP and to the 5.0ghz network, our printer worked on the network just fine.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 AM

You've introduced new equipment into your system. Try a different router, then a different printer - one is the culprit. Change the one that's messing up your chill. If you haven't, go into your printer set up on your computer and delete everything then reinstall your printer driver. If that doesn't work, go back to my first sentence.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Also, our computers can only see and log onto the 5.0ghz network.
Quote:
But since then, the 2.4 is not on the drop down menu. Weird. I can't even manually enter it.
When you accepted the tech's recommendation to use 5 GHz, it sounds like they disabled the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Before replacing any hardware, see if your ISP can help you get your router to spit out 2.4 GHz again and then try connecting your printer to it.

Another thing to note, even if it's dual-band 5/2.4 GHz, it may not be configured to run with backwards compatibility to 802.11b/g which your printer operates in. My FiOS router does that; when set to a certain mode it only supports 802.11n and b/g devices cannot connect.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
When you accepted the tech's recommendation to use 5 GHz, it sounds like they disabled the 2.4 GHz frequency.

Before replacing any hardware, see if your ISP can help you get your router to spit out 2.4 GHz again and then try connecting your printer to it.

Another thing to note, even if it's dual-band 5/2.4 GHz, it may not be configured to run with backwards compatibility to 802.11b/g which your printer operates in. My FiOS router does that; when set to a certain mode it only supports 802.11n and b/g devices cannot connect.
Thanks Jeremy. I'll try talking to them again, but it might be easier to buy 100 new printers than get a straight answer.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

We have the HP Envy 4500 which is supposedly wireless. I gave up with that and just run the usb chord. My phone keeps wanting to get personal with it, but I keep them separated.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Went to Walmart today, bought a cheap Epson printer.

Set it up, works fine on all our devices. Go figga.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic