The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Turning Headphone Jack into Line Out?

I am considering buying a Crate Limo TX50Dto use as a combo small pa and acoustic amp. However, it has only a headphone jack and no line out. I want to be able to use it as a monitor with a quarter inch jack line going to the board if possible. That of course means that I cannot use the HP jack normally as it would cut off the speaker.

Any ideas about how I could modify the amp? I have some limited knowledge of electronics. There is no effects loop; only an insert.

Thanks in advance to those of you electrically enlightened!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 AM

I am electrically inclined and my advise is to get an amp with 1/4 line out. Second choice is to mic up your amp.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM

The insert point is an effects loop (to be used with TRS jack, Tip send-Ring return). You can also insert a TS jack to be used as a line out, inserting it until you hear/feel the first click.

Check the Mackie PDF for diagram and instructions http://www.mackie.com/pdf/vlzproseries_hu.pdf
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Line Out

Ronmac:

So, if I hooked a stereo quarter inch jack to left and right mono quarter inch adapter into the insert, and connected only the return side, that would work as well?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Although the insert can usually work from a signal hygiene perspective, that signal may not be one you can work with easily. If it is pre-eq, the tone will be different. If it is pre channel fader, the volume will be different. The headphone out signal will have specifications for impedance and signal level. That signal should be post-eq. The headphone out signal may be easier to deal with, although it will likely need gain up to line level before hitting a power amp.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Mmm...For what it is worth , the TRS insert approach has not always worked for me on every amp or mixer. Further headphone output quality is not a given. Consider that the headphone output needs to be amplified a lot to be usable, so if noisy it may be annoying. Bottom line try all this out before buying. Fishman, Ultrasound and Roland amps probably will sound better than the Crate for similar price.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Buy an amp that does what you want to do in the first place, instead of monkeying around with that one. Modifications sometimes work out, but they always void your warranty.

Taylor 714ce
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Headphone Jack for Line Out

Thank you all for the sage advise on this subject!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 AM

If you already owned an amp, it might be worth trying to figure out how to kludge up a line out. However, I have to agree with the advice already offered: buy an amp that has the features you need. it just doesn't make sense to plan on buying an amp that doesn't do what you need. Line Out is a very common feature; it shouldn't be hard to find something that truly meets your needs.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
I am considering buying a Crate Limo TX50Dto use as a combo small pa and acoustic amp. However, it has only a headphone jack and no line out. I want to be able to use it as a monitor with a quarter inch jack line going to the board if possible. That of course means that I cannot use the HP jack normally as it would cut off the speaker.

Any ideas about how I could modify the amp? I have some limited knowledge of electronics. There is no effects loop; only an insert.

Thanks in advance to those of you electrically enlightened!
Hi OP...

I use external preamps with all my guitar rigs, and just pull a lead off the preamp to the board/snake and take the other output to my acoustic amp.

Another similar strategy would involve purchasing an inexpensive (under $30) passive direct box. You plug the last item in your chain from the guitar into the direct box and then take the 2nd 1/4'' jack to the amp, and the XLR to the board/Snake. This would not reflect your use in the house of any on-board effects you are using.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification