The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Poor analogy; you can have world class surgery in Cuba, for example, for very little money. Cuba's medical training is so highly regarded that their medics can gain accreditation to practice in the US. It is also rated around the same as the US (US=36, Cuba=39) in quality of healthcare, according to the World Health Organisation, so there's that to consider...
Or come to England and get fixed for free.
First rule of economics... No such thing as a free lunch, or surgery. Somebody is paying for it.

Back to the guitar. I paid A LOT for a guitar that is above my skill level, for now... To a degree I paid for the name (Taylor), and I've done the same for a Martin as well. It's all part of the experience for me and if it didn't sound right the name would cease to be important.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yeh, there is that. I've come to accept that I'll probably spend north of $1995 for a new acoustic guitar even though that's precisely what I spent for my first new car, a VW Super Beetle in 1972....

My first new car was also $1995.00 A 1979 Ford Fiesta Bright yellow. Wanted the new Honda Prelude but couldn't swing the payments.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Not sure it's hype or smoke and mirrors? Martin, Taylor etc charge thousands simply because people will pay thousands. There's a certain point where it costs x dollars to manufacture a guitar profitably. Above that it seems to be "how much will people pay?"

These companies mass produce guitars and buy materials by the truck load. I'd love to know the difference in total materials cost between the least expensive laminate guitar and the high end ones.... maybe $100? Sure you could have more hours in inlay work and fine tuning. But enough to make the numbers work?.... not in my opinion anyway.

I'm a cabinetmaker by trade. I look at guys like Christopher Peacock or Poggenpohl for instance whose kitchens run 3-4x what smaller shops would charge for the same kitchen. Is it because they're better quality? I'm sure those who sign the checks would say so. I'd say though that people are paying for the name. Not smoke and mirrors, just free market and people's desire to pay for status and name. And if it works for them....then all is good🙂

I haven't really shopped expensive guitars in years. Last time was when there was still a big box music store around, ( think it was Mars?). I remember being excited at the chance to play so many high end guitars, (not common for a lefty). I played several guitars including Martin and Gibsons that were well out of my budget.... didn't like any of them. Nicest playing/sounding guitar I found was a Larivee that was well under $1k! Still wish I bought it🙁 So for me when it comes to acoustics it's all about the individual guitar and how it works for me. If I can find one that fits my needs for x dollars, I have no reason to spend more. Electrics.... well that's a different story😁

Jeff
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM

I just got back from playing a Martin 15 series vs. a similar non-Martin. The Martin was way better. 3 or 4 times better? That is up to the buyer to decide.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Gotta agree. I picked up a Tanglewood Parlor and it plays just fine and sounds quite good, especially for fingerpicked country blues. It's not quite the guitar that my Larrivee Parlor is, but for less than half the cost, it's a fine instrument. And it's a very good looking guitar, as well, with a nicely executed slotted headstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Sometimes it just all comes together and a great sounding instrument is born, regardless of price.

We don't see too many Tanglewoods on this side of the pond, but the ones I have had the opportunity to play were great playing and sounding instruments.

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM

I was faced with a similar dilemma 37 years ago when buying my first "good" acoustic. I had $1000 in my budget and would have pretty much used it up with a Martin D28 which I was gassing for (were they THAT much money back then???). Then the local shop keeper brought out this Alvarez Yairi. Played them both. Liked the Yairi BETTER. When I asked how much $175 w/OHSC was pretty much a no brainer. Still have the Yairi. Once had GAS for a "real" D28 but a trip to GC with my Yairi, playing them side by side cured my gas once again. Sometimes it just happens that way. [My daughter has it now and there's no way I'm going to be able to ever steal it back ]

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
First rule of economics... No such thing as a free lunch, or surgery. Somebody is paying for it.

Back to the guitar. I paid A LOT for a guitar that is above my skill level, for now... To a degree I paid for the name (Taylor), and I've done the same for a Martin as well. It's all part of the experience for me and if it didn't sound right the name would cease to be important.
I don't think AndrewG said or implied anything about "free Lunches".

As far as the variance between American and Far Eastern guitars are concerned, Whilst I have my own share of relatively expensive pieces, I'd agree that US products are, (often) good but far overpriced, which has opened up the market for the Far eastern makers who are now parallel quality wise and superior in competitiveness.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Politics
Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 PM

I have limited experience with guitars but the brands I tried before deciding to pay more were noticeably inferior in terms of playability, sound and workmanship. There are many I've yet to see however. The guitar I have now is in a sense an heirloom for me.

If I ever get to the point where I play out somewhere, I'd have to find a more expendable alternative.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Politics
Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The headman in Cuba didn't think so. When he needed surgery, he flew in a bunch of Swiss doctors.
Wow, that doesn't sound so good, have you seen their cheese?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-21-2017, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

There's one thing that glares out about the guitar quality / price discussion. The point that the inexpensive guitar has to be excused. If they are such great guitars why is anyone making excuses for them?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Or come to England and get fixed for free.
Thank you but I rather like to keep me dangly bits for a little while longer.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Let's say you need life saving surgery. You go to 5 top surgeons who graduated from the best med schools and have decade long reputations as best in their field. They all tell you the surgery will cost you about $100,000.

You find another surgeon, not well known, credentials from a Caribbean med school, who tells you he will do it for $10,000.

Which is more dubious?
Carribbean surgeon; you only have $10 000. Top surgeon won't save you at a discount.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I guess that there are a lot of us - esp. baby boomers - who were willing to pay Martin and Gibson prices (when we could) because we wanted the guitars that our musical heroes had. That surely had some effect on me.

Few American guitars were available to us during the '60s, and initially Japanese guitars (and many other products) were poor in quality and because of the destruction of many British and German factories, there was a distinct shortage of guitars so the "american consumerist dream" of was something that captured our imagination.

My first American guitars were mostly troublesome in various ways, until my '73 D35, and then my '98 Collings perfection,

If I was a teen/twenties guy buying guitars now, I would be primarily looking at the better Far eastern instruments - not American made instruments - not because they are bad - few are, but because they are over priced.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Realistically speaking, there's more hype, marketing, and smoke and mirrors in your average $300 guitar than in your typical $3000 guitar.
i second that!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yep; but I can't hear 'mystique', 'tradition' or 'reputation'.
You don't have to, you can see it, right there on the headstock, which should always read "Martin".

(OK, better put a smiley , hopefully avert a war,,, . There ya go.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion