The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:56 PM

I have contracted (formally or not) with the party who is paying me. Start time, break times, set lengths, and end time are all part of the agreement. Playing over the specified time is not going to be appreciated by the owner, wait staff, sound crew, and others. If you're unsure, announce your last song with 10-15 minutes remaining, and if asked for an encore, keep it within the assigned time.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 AM

Hi

Just picking up on a couple of points people have made re "tips".

Not sure whether this is something that is unique to the US, but whenever I have seen a band/musicians in a local bar or club here in England (or anywhere else in the UK), I have yet to see any member of the public tipping them.

We generally have two categories of live performance (I am talking re semi pro musicians eg covers/wedding bands);

1) Those that play in local social clubs, where the club owners have booked them & the audience are charged a fee to enter the club that evening (aware that there is a band playing).
2) Pubs, where 2/3 people play acoustic songs in a corner and people can either choose to sit and listen, or will just carry on having conversations with their mates and the music is basically "background music".

In neither of the above scenarios have I witnessed "tip jars" or people making any effort to tip the musicians.

Probably in the first instance, people take the view that they have already "paid" to see the band, and in the second case, they decide that they never "chose"to see the musicians play.

I have in Europe seen people get on public transport with guitars, play a song and then have the nerve to send round someone with a jar expecting tips off passengers!

We do still have buskers in the UK in city centres - some good, but most are not!

Rich
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronfield View Post
Hi

Just picking up on a couple of points people have made re "tips".

Not sure whether this is something that is unique to the US, but whenever I have seen a band/musicians in a local bar or club here in England (or anywhere else in the UK), I have yet to see any member of the public tipping them.

We generally have two categories of live performance (I am talking re semi pro musicians eg covers/wedding bands);

1) Those that play in local social clubs, where the club owners have booked them & the audience are charged a fee to enter the club that evening (aware that there is a band playing).
2) Pubs, where 2/3 people play acoustic songs in a corner and people can either choose to sit and listen, or will just carry on having conversations with their mates and the music is basically "background music".

In neither of the above scenarios have I witnessed "tip jars" or people making any effort to tip the musicians.

Probably in the first instance, people take the view that they have already "paid" to see the band, and in the second case, they decide that they never "chose"to see the musicians play.

I have in Europe seen people get on public transport with guitars, play a song and then have the nerve to send round someone with a jar expecting tips off passengers!

We do still have buskers in the UK in city centres - some good, but most are not!

Rich
This has been discussed on these forums a lot. Tipping practices in the UK and Europe (not just for musicians but for wait staff) are much different than in the US.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
[SIZE="4"]
ADDED: Every union has overtime, meal and delay penalties. Ours is no different. People playing for free is one reason so many musicians have trouble paying the mortgage.
Maybe it's easier to control a DJ than surly musicians. I don't really want to see any musician who is doing it just for the money.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Sounds like the crowd really loved you - which shows how much time and effort you put into your practice, preparation, and song choice.

Its definately a conondrum and my feeling is that you really would rather not leave on boo's if you had the choice.

I think a talk with the owner is in order.... There may be multiple ways this could be resolved - but I think asking in advance will put you in the best position... For example - the fellow may have a hard stop time imposed on him.

Then perhaps experiment a bit with different ideas here to figure out what works the best for you.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 AM

I play in a five piece string band. Our typical gigs are about three hours in length, usually with a short break in the middle. If we have a supportive crowd that asks for an encore, we'll usually oblige, as long as it won't cause any issues with the venue. We typically have a couple of strong tunes on deck in case we are asked.

One thing that we'll sometimes do is unplug and hop off stage for an encore. We'll get the crowd around us and do a couple numbers completely acoustic. This has always gotten great feedback, it gives the audience a story to take home with them and, if we're playing a venue that supplied the sound reinforcement, it gives them a chance to start breaking down the stage.

We're at a point where we are trying to build an audience. If they've enjoyed our performance enough to ask for more, I interpret that as we are doing something right. I'll gladly give a little more of my time to see their faces at the next show.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion