The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Default AER Comapct 60/3 vs Schertler Jam 150 Plus vs ???

Hi guys, in the $1000 range, what do you recommend?

I'm looking for something that can handle vocals as well as an amplified acoustic guitar. I have an AER on order but it will take a couple of months to get here. Just wondering if I should be broadening my search.

I've had a SoloAmp in the past and sold it because with the stand it has a pretty large footprint, and I found it buldy.

I tried a Bose L1 Compact which I really liked, but the lack of tone controls limited it's usefulness.

I play mostly at home, and use the amp to practice for open mics, and on rare occasions I use it to play out in small venues.

For now I have a Fender Acoustisonic 15 and it's woefully inadequate.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I demo'd these two amps side by side when I was looking for an acoustic amp.
For me there was no comparison. The Jam 150 was head and shoulders above the AER. I use mine to play out and it handles the guitar and vocals with ease.

I play guitars with K&K pure mini's and use the Pure XLR pre-amp so I can use the XLR input and phantom power on the amp.

There are some folks that get very good results with the AER for their guitars, but I have not heard anyone using them for vocals.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Did you ever try the Jam 100? It's a bit cheaper, I'm trying to find one locally to try.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I demo'd these two amps side by side when I was looking for an acoustic amp.
For me there was no comparison. The Jam 150 was head and shoulders above the AER. I use mine to play out and it handles the guitar and vocals with ease.

I play guitars with K&K pure mini's and use the Pure XLR pre-amp so I can use the XLR input and phantom power on the amp.

There are some folks that get very good results with the AER for their guitars, but I have not heard anyone using them for vocals.
Thats the same rig as I use.
K&K pure mini into XLR preamp into Schertler Jam 150. Very natural sounds.

Just wondering . Do you use a 2nd source along with the K&K???
I'm looking into options at the moment.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 PM

I have only compared them in a music store setting. There was really no contest. The AER 60 sounded kind of boxy and could not be dialed in. The Jam 150 was actually pretty amazing. That's even before consider the extra flexibility gained with the mixer input of the Jam 150.

The Jam 100 has a 6" speaker.. I preferred the 8" in the 150.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM

I was talking to a local dealer and he mentioned that they are revising the lineup and there will be a 75 added. Has anyone heard about that?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
I was talking to a local dealer and he mentioned that they are revising the lineup and there will be a 75 added. Has anyone heard about that?
AER or Schertler????
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

That choice will be player/venue dependent. Either one can do a great job. For my uses (solo fingerstyle) I prefer the Schertler/SR Technology products over the AER products, but not by very much. I have a quality mini-PA for gigging and purchased a SR Technology Jam 150 Plus a couple of years ago for smaller situations.

Still, these European products are fairly expensive and there are other brands (mostly of Chinese manufacture) that can be quite good too.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:42 PM

another vote for the jam 150, I love mine

Dave
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gratay,

I used to use a dual system before I had the K&K installed. I know some folks on here use the dual source K&K and really like them. I've only heard one of those systems live and I didn't think it added enough to merit adding another source to my rig.

I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting now, and without exception, guitar players in the audience come up to me during breaks and after the show and ask how I get such a natural sound.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
AER or Schertler????
Sorry Schertler.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Hey Gratay,

I used to use a dual system before I had the K&K installed. I know some folks on here use the dual source K&K and really like them. I've only heard one of those systems live and I didn't think it added enough to merit adding another source to my rig.

I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting now, and without exception, guitar players in the audience come up to me during breaks and after the show and ask how I get such a natural sound.
Thanks for your response .. I'm also really happy with the combination of the K&K coupled with the Schertler.
K&K are about to release the next generation of XLR preamp Mach2 so before I add another source I'm going to wait until I see what that is all about. It sounds very promising.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification