The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Lowden O23. Mellow, clear and very loud.
+1 on the Lowden idea... I also had a Lakewood J32 Jumbo that woukd have been perfect for jazz....man I miss that one....

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

If you have the budget for it, I strongly suggest Collings SJ, OM and C10 models for your needs, in maple back. You have choices of Sitka (standard), German,
Adirondack and even Engelmann spruce tops, cutaway and noncutaway body, deep or standard body on the OM and C10, lacquer or varnish finish and natural or choice of style on sunburst.

Check out Vinnie Raniolo's playing in support of Frank Vignola, lately with Tommy Emmanuel in a quasi trio setting to see and hear a RW backed Collings SJ in a great jazz setting. Should be lots on YouTube

Just so happens Quincy's Guitars in Austin is selling out a new SJ in RW for an unbelievable price, check the website. There has been a new OM maple at Acoustic Pro Musician that looks fascinating. SJ maples appear used fairly often, there's one with a cutaway and standard spacing out there now on a few forum classifieds.

Collings does fantastic things with maple backed guitars, not to mention all mahogany (try a OO1mh if 12 fret short scale interests you at all).

Finally, the basic Collings or Santa Cruz OOO or OM models in basic RW or mahogany are as good as a guitar can be for just about all styles of play!

Good luck on your quest! Mark.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Most of the jazz players I have seen like the Gibson J-200. I believe they like the J-200 because the big body feels like a Jazz guitar.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Actually I would skip the jumbo and check out a Larrivee L series.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Not really hearing any jazz there, and solo playing is quite a bit different than with a group--but I agree--there's really no rule against anything...it just wouldn't be my first (or tenth) choice...
I disagree, it's fingerstyle jazz. Go to Keith Ganz's website, it specifies that he plays in NYC's top jazz clubs and it has many media quotes referring to his jazz playing. It's jazz, it's on a dreadnought, and it sounds good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion