The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycrotone View Post
I have a Gretsch G6121-1955 and I'm looking for a small home modeling amp with a headphone out. After reading Bob W.'s write-up, "How about a 5-minute practice rig?", I'm hoping some folks would give me their take on what's available. I just gave away a Cube 20XL so it is out of the running. Sound quality is my preference over bells and whistles but all suggestions would be welcomed.
I just went through 3 months of searching for a small practice amp with headphone option. Having in november acquired a very nice tube amp I figured an SS amp would be a nice addition.
I started playing everything available within a 50 mile radius and finally decided I really did not like the sound of most the multi modeling amp offerings especially since it seemed like to me everything under about $400 or $ 500 sounded cheap and thin. And since like you sound quality was ("preferred over bells and whistles") I ended up getting an Orange Crush RT 20 which I thought had by far the best sound under $200, just a thought for consideration.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcguitar View Post
I practice at home with a Mustang i v2 and really enjoy it. Getting ready to buy a Mustang ii for the larger space in my house and to carry to small jam sessons, I don't gig and these two amps do everything I need...
Do consider the Mustang III vs. the II when you shop. The price difference isn't that much, and there's a big jump speaker quality and features between the II and the III.

I had the Mustang I before I bought my Mustang III. I used the Fuse (computer software control) with the I, but I'm glad to hear that it can be used stand-alone successfully. Using it with headphones at low volumes the sound is the same I vs III, and the I's small speaker and closed back cabinet is a useful sound at lower volumes or for ruder rock'n'roll, still at lower volumes. The smaller size of the I would be nice in some cases. The III adds better stand-alone controls, gigable/practice session with drums volume capability, a better speaker, direct out XLR for recording/house mix, and ability to use multiple foot-switches.

If anyone is even mildly knowledgeable about amps, the trick when auditioning a Mustang in the store, or with a home trial, is to scroll past all the regular "featured" presets and to go the end of the list where you get just the bare amps modeled by the Mustang. One bane of modelers in general, and the Mustang is no exception, is that the featured presets are someone else's idea of a good sound.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
If anyone is even mildly knowledgeable about amps, the trick when auditioning a Mustang in the store, or with a home trial, is to scroll past all the regular "featured" presets and to go the end of the list where you get just the bare amps modeled by the Mustang. One bane of modelers in general, and the Mustang is no exception, is that the featured presets are someone else's idea of a good sound.
This is great advice for trying any modeling amp. Crappy presets are responsible for much of the bad rap digital gear gets. It's hard to know what they can really sound like until you strip away all the effects and tweak a bit.

One of the main advantages of digital amps is how easy it is to pack in all the effects and tweak-able parameters, so there really aren't too many options that don't have a ton a bells and whistles. Bells and whistles is kind of what they do. Quilter is the only obvious one I can think of that does just simple digital, Fender type amp products but your getting out of "bang for the buck" territory there.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-12-2017, 11:25 AM

If all OP wants is modelling with headphones and best bang for the buck....get an old vox tonelab. A couple of weeks ago picked up a desktop off CL for $25. Currently got it rigged up 7 ways past Monday. But get some good cans...using some old akg 240's...and/or use some FSFR computer powered monitors....using some old bose ones...and it all works great for some truly whisper bedroom level.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I have a Yamaha thr 10 and a Mustang VIII
The Yamaha for sure!
I've got the Yamaha THR10X and I love it. It sounds amazing, is so easy to record with and sounds like a cranked amp at low volumes.

I can't believe how good it is tbh, the fact I can play my bass through it as well as my electrics is a bonus.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 PM

This might be a stupid question, but does the Mustang II allow the user to edit the reverb, etc. on each of the presets? I've seen some videos on the Mustang II demonstrating them, and they have too much for my taste.

How does the Mustang II as a low-cost practice option compare to the Line6 and Peavy models around the same price?

Which option could also double as an acoustic amp?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Yes you can edit the reverb...

I have the Mustang i v2 and have played a Mustang ii v2 and it has exactly the same controls. You can adjust the overall level of the preset reverb by holding down the exit button while turning the dly/rev knob, you can turn the rev completely off or set it to any level you like, you can then save this change to the preset if you like. Using the Fuse software you can make many adjustments beyond the Rev level, just like a physical effects box. I use Fuse to adjust the main presets I use and save them. You can also backup the entire set of changes you make in case you lose them.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcguitar View Post
I have the Mustang i v2 and have played a Mustang ii v2 and it has exactly the same controls. You can adjust the overall level of the preset reverb by holding down the exit button while turning the dly/rev knob, you can turn the rev completely off or set it to any level you like, you can then save this change to the preset if you like. Using the Fuse software you can make many adjustments beyond the Rev level, just like a physical effects box. I use Fuse to adjust the main presets I use and save them. You can also backup the entire set of changes you make in case you lose them.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to do. Can the amp reset to defaults if you end up overwriting one of the presets and don't like it (or make a mistake)?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 AM

Default You can do that...

The Fuse software lets you easily reset the entire amp to factory presets if you want, you can also save a modified preset list to a custom name and restore from as many of these as you have saved. Each preset you modify can be named and saved, if you think you might wish to restore just one factory preset you have to save it individually first, (there may be a way around this but I haven't figured it out) then you can restore it like any other preset you have saved. Fuse will let you modify and save the effects under the two effects knobs separately from the main amp preset list(s). This is nice because it lets you adjust and tone down any of the effects you can change manually from the knobs. You can combine effects that will come on together when changing the effects knobs. The trick is to jot down/remember what you have done if you plan to do many manual changes. I generally just tone the default effects down a bit from the factory. This is all saved when you do a preset list/amp backup.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 PM

What about the Roland Cube 10GX? It's pretty small, but it seems to have good reviews (only three presets, but over-writable with the app).
Old 02-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
What about the Roland Cube 10GX? It's pretty small, but it seems to have good reviews (only three presets, but over-writable with the app).
Seems unlikely given the OP stated "I just gave away a Cube 20XL so it is out of the running."

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars