The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Question Baggs element low E string volume issue??

I just did my first home install of a UST pickup last weekend. Baggs Element. I'm discovering that though, overall, it sounds great, I'm getting only about half the volume out of the low E string as I am from each of the other 5 strings. I'm going to take the saddle out today and make sure the bottom is nice and flat, with a slight angle in the direction the strings pull it forward. I'll also check the hole where I angled the pickup down into the guitar-- maybe I didn't file the angle to a small enough degree and the pickup is getting pinched. Any other thoughts, ideas, advice??

thanks,

Pete

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-14-2015, 10:48 PM

I assume you drilled an angled hole for the UST at the end of the saddle slot as shown in the directions so the piezo is flat beneath your E string? Other than that, what you suggest for troubleshooting is on target.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 PM

Make sure the saddle is not only square, but flat across the length. Use a good flat 6" ruler with a tight tolerance, or a small machinist square of decent quality. Also make sure the saddle slot is flat, that is sometimes overlooked.

Last edited by pops; 02-16-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 PM

I have made the mistake before with that Element of drilling the angled hole in the bottom of the saddle slot at too steep of an angle. If the saddle is rather short it is really easy to take out some of wood that is directly below the Low E string. that would cause that problem. I now drill only a slight angle, then round over the sharp edge with a needle file.

Other than that, make sure your saddle is flat. There is occasion where the saddle slot is not flat.

Another possible issue is a saddle that fits too tightly, not allowing the saddle to go all the way down to the pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair