The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 PM

Default prs wide neck vs fender strat

How is the neck and string spacing of the PRS wide fat necks and string spacing compare to the fender strats.....i know there are options of changing out necks on my strat to get a wider string spacing.
Thx in adv.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 AM

My two favorites - PRS and Fender.

I prefer the PRS WF neck profile as well, and I have no problems going back and forth between the two. I don't know the specs (nut width, string spacing) of either, but I suspect they are similar. ( I really notice the 1/16" difference in nut width between my Taylor and my girlfriend's Breedlove.)

That said, what Fender necks are we talking about here? I've always played Amercan Standard/Series Strats and Teles. The vintage style necks with the smaller fretboard radius will certainly feel different (particularly with the vintage, smaller frets) than the PRS neck.
Lately, my Fender preference is for the fatter necks they produced for the '62 Hot Rod Strats - I liked it so much that I've been fortunate enough to acquire two of these (Sherwood Green and a 3 color 'burst!). These feature a flatter 'modern' neck radius and larger 'modern' frets, so they compare favorably with the PRSs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars