The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Makeshift piezo functionality for electric

Have you tried something like this mounted on an electric?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AD20-Piezo...item27ddc5fa08

I've been considering a Godin A6 Ultra on and off but the above possibly doomed idea is something I'll try first. I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster and would like to be able to practice acoustic style quietly with it with a headphone amp. I sometimes just use it unamplified, aided by using the wound 3rd string that I've got used to but it would be handy to get even a piezo sound with some reverb out of it this Tele.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM

I've got home-made piezos on all my cigar-box guitars; they work pretty well. But they sense vibration.
Where would you put it on your Strat that would vibrate? There is a small amount of vibration through the body, but I don't know if it would excite the Piezo....
Why not just run it through an iRig or some similar headphone amp?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Love my iRig. You can get them pretty cheaply and they are great for practicing. The included Amplitube app lets you import songs so you can play along with them, you can loop the whole song or sections, and you can slow the song down without changing pitch. For $30 (often much less) it's a great tool.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 AM

I can use the Tele with an electric sound with either of my headphone amps but I'd like to get a piezo sound from it like the Godin LGX-SA that's beyond my wallet. I imagine another option is I can get the Graphtech piezos fitted, it's a shame it's a luthier type job and maybe complicated in the initial purchase by my being left-handed.

I can't quite get my head round how a cigar box guitar is vibrating sufficiently to work the piezo but an electric isn't? But I trust your view if you're experimental enough to be making cigar box guitars. I've seen one classical guitar with a piezo that seemed to be connecting the strings on the bridge between the two holes where the strings are tied and the LGX may work from a similar principle.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 AM

I've just seen this and am now thinking, If Hendrix could tolerate an upside down guitar... Very affordable this one.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/parker_park...fly_pdf35b.htm
Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 AM

A Zoom A3 does a pretty good job getting an acoustic tone out of a neck electric pickup and the MS50G's acoustic effect is also pretty good. I think either rival piezo bridge saddles on an electric guitar. Jon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1mPm70QJs
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM

A properly-made cigar-box guitar works exactly like an acoustic guitar. The top is free to vibrate.

For the iRig users, try "Ampkit" as well. I had a lot of troubles with the recommended Amplitude app, but Ampkit seems pretty trouble-free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars