The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Maybe its been said, just in a different way; forgive me if this is a repeat of anyone else's thought.

First and formost you have to have a guitar that does two things. First of all you have to be able to tune it and keep it in tune. Sounds easy enough but usually cheap parts will equal more difficulty in tuning. The tuning gears and the bridge (on a Strat for sure) can be a big headache. If you are OK with the Tele vibe, it might be easier to keep in tune as it has a fixed bridge.

Next is the ability to fret the guitar...as in easily hold down the strings without either buzzing or intonation problems from pulling on the strings. Again, the setups on cheap guitars can be such you just can't play the darn thing and make it sound good.

I think a lot of people would caution against buying the cheapest guitar you can find. Probably better to spend at least some amount of time in a guitar store and really play several and see if you can make the case for spending more to get more.

As someone mentioned, if you can take a friend with you who knows what to look for and let them show you what to look and listen for. Too many times the people who work at places like GC cannot/will not spend the time to educate a buyer. It's a quick sales pitch for a few features you may not even understand and you are out the door with a guitar that would best be used to paddle a canoe.

Good luck with your search!

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM

Another vote for the MIM Tele. I compared it today to the CV and I think the MIM sounded and played better. Its $150 more, the thing is, that the electronics, body and other bits are the same as the US Tele. So for $500 and change you are getting a real Tele.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 AM

Davis - fair point. Think it may depend as in many cases on individual guitars. When I began looking for a Tele, I tried MiM, Baja and the CV. For me personally the CV was by far the best sounding. Maybe with better set up the MiM and Baja could have been better. Not being American it didn't matter to me where my guitar was manufactured. I wanted the best value for my money. I dare say that if I come to sell it in the future, which is very doubtful, it won't be worth as much as a Fender. But that wasn't a consideration when I bought it.
The OP should try as many different models as possible and buy the one that speaks to him. I know he stated at one point that he was offered a guitar and amp for €100. If that's the budget he's workin with, then it doubtful he will end up buying either a Mexican Fender or a CV
IAN
Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Personally, I'd go for one of the upscale Squiers or a mexi Tele. Two pickups, one switch, one volume knob, one tone knob, and no tremolo and associated tuning issues to argue with. Just pick it up, tune up, and play. Very simple, yet surprisingly versatile as you get better.
Agreed, even though strats seem to be very popular beginner instruments, I think they're a horrible choice for someone starting out.

If you know what your doing with a strat and can set up the trem it can work fine, but all that being absent your gonna fight tuning issues which is not good for a beginner, they need to be hearing a guitar that's in tune so they can train their ear properly
Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM

As a longtime acoustic guy who has gotten into electrics in recent years, I believe I can speak as a newbie. My first Fender was a MIM Strat and it was frustrating. When I picked up a Squier CV50 Tele...which cost more than the Strat ;-)...I actually started enjoying electrics more. I have not stopped buying electrics but do like the CV50 which, unbeknownst to me at the time, has fooled experts in blind playing tests.

And I fully agree with the comments by Teleman52.

My best advice is to buy a decent "lower tier" guitar and amp to explore the whole world of pickups, amps, effects, etc. before buying more toys. Because you will :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars