The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Verify some music for me?

I am hoping that someone will recognize this piece and reassure me that the note is correct.

I am working from the green Aaron Shearer book on page 44. It is simply titled "Barcarolle" by Carcassi. The key signature has one sharp. There are several accidentals in it--so I don't know if it's G or em.

It's a thumb workout piece with 8th notes in the bass and dotted quarter on the upper strings.

The A# in measure 12 is annoying the daylights out of me. It's against a G and a B. Does it really belong there? Am I reading it incorrectly? (Not that I've ever done that...cough F# cough)

Please don't make me feel like an idiot for questioning it. I've only been studying classical since April.

the neglected ones: GS Mini Spruce 2012 and Art & Lutherie Ami 1999
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM

i'm not familiar with that piece. i searched but couldn't find the music.

any chance you can scan and show that section? or tab it out?

is the next note a b? it most likely is correct, it is not uncommon for there to be a note that clashes, then resolves.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Yes, it is a b.
I'll scan and try to post it. I can't find a better name for the music. Thanks for an answer.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_in_PA View Post
I am hoping that someone will recognize this piece and reassure me that the note is correct.

I am working from the green Aaron Shearer book on page 44. It is simply titled "Barcarolle" by Carcassi. The key signature has one sharp. There are several accidentals in it--so I don't know if it's G or em.

It's a thumb workout piece with 8th notes in the bass and dotted quarter on the upper strings.

The A# in measure 12 is annoying the daylights out of me. It's against a G and a B. Does it really belong there? Am I reading it incorrectly? (Not that I've ever done that...cough F# cough)

Please don't make me feel like an idiot for questioning it. I've only been studying classical since April.
I think I have that book. I'll try to check it out tonight.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Liz, I looked at that measure and it seems right to me. It is just a leading tone up to the B. I hear that sound a lot from music of that period. Glad you are enjoying the guitar so much.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM

I guess that sometimes when you're playing slowly the moments of tension are a little too tense. I don't have the periods in my ears yet so I'll play something wrong and think it seems right--but it would be right in another time.

Thanks for looking at it.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I guess that sometimes when you're playing slowly the moments of tension are a little too tense. I don't have the periods in my ears yet so I'll play something wrong and think it seems right--but it would be right in another time.

Thanks for looking at it.
i think that's exactly right. without enough tempo and proper accents, some notes just sound wrong. it's not that that A# note is a musical gimmick, but it almost is. i would guess it is intended to intentionally clash strongly before resolving harmoniously. it is suppose to stand out as an ear catcher.

this was the start of the 'clashical' era, if memory serves correct.

btw, carcassi's op 60 no 3 in A is a pretty little piece, not too hard.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Ah, you know exactly where I am. Op 60, number 3 and 7 are in the current pile along with Sor Study in b minor Op 35, #22. The Sor is to specifically get me out of first position and to work on clarity in bar chords. Which is happening

I do with that book would label the pieces more completely so they can be recognize by others OR so that I can stalk them on youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical