The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Best $1500 Nylon String Guitar?

Got a $1500 budget and gassing for a nylon guitar. Love Taylors (own 4) but open to anything. What do you recommend? Play a mix of everything. Thanks
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Kremona Solea Classical Guitar

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM

I'll check it out - thanks.
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Musical minimalist

New or used?
True classical or crossover?
Dark, spanish sound or brighter, snappier tone?

Last edited by fitness1; 01-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM

I love my new Kenny Hill New World Guitar. List $1,700. I was able to get a b-stock model for $1,200. A tiny nick in the finish that no one sees saved me a bundle. The idea that this tiny nick made it b-stock would say they have pretty high standards. So, I don't know if that's in your range or not.
It feels lovely. The setup was immediately playable. My luthier friend saw no reason to change anything. It comes with a swanky case (it's cat approved) and the wrench for adjusting the truss rod.

the neglected ones: GS Mini Spruce 2012 and Art & Lutherie Ami 1999
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Liz,

If you ever get a moment, I'd really love to hear your impressions of the Player vs. the Dolce. I know there's a huge price difference, but I've really been surprised at how much the Cordoba guitars deliver for so little. Thanks.
-Bob
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Cervantes crossovers.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Musical minimalist

can you offer more specifics as noted above so more helpful direction can be given?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Liz,

If you ever get a moment, I'd really love to hear your impressions of the Player vs. the Dolce. I know there's a huge price difference, but I've really been surprised at how much the Cordoba guitars deliver for so little. Thanks.
-Bob
Bob,
Was I happy with the Dolce? Absolutely. When I bought it, I wanted to explore more classical and be able to practice more without sore fingers. All the reviews I read said that people really liked the Dolce. I literally couldn't find any on the used market. I figured that meant that no one sold any. Of course, it could be that they self destruct after a certain amount of time. But it hasn't in a year.

I purchased a b-stock. There is an intonation problem at the ninth fret on B and G. So, my luthier is going to make a compensated saddle for it. The fifth fret is high on the A string. That said, my luthier, who doesn't do much work with classicals, was very surprised at what I paid for the Dolce. He thought that it was a more expensive guitar. Both he and my teacher really like the tone--it has a grumble that's very attractive. My teacher has offered to buy it from me for his kid. I took it to an outdoor music festival that was "blessed" with drenching rains. The case was waterproof and the guitar dealt well with the excess humidity all weekend.

I would recommend it (but not a b-stock) without hesitation to someone who wants to try a classical. The shorter scale makes it easier. If you have small hands, why struggle with waiting for your hands to stretch? Why not enjoy cleaner fretting from the start? If you have less money, this is a great choice.

The Player is solid wood. It is shinier and the wood is prettier on the back. I'll have to improve a lot in order to justify another guitar. The first strum across the strings--while it was still in the case--oh my. I could HEAR the depth to the sound. If you have more money, this is a great choice.

Both have truss rods. Both are 628mm. I don't notice a difference switching between the necks. There is a difference in the tuners, the Dolce seems sloppy compared to the Player. If both are hanging on the wall and I am across the room--I'm not sure I can tell them apart. But when I play them, the Player is more.

More than you wanted to hear.

the neglected ones: GS Mini Spruce 2012 and Art & Lutherie Ami 1999
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks a million, Liz. I appreciate it. It stands to reason they are a bit similar, especially in having a truss rod. Kenny Hill was involved in the design of Cordoba's iberia series, which the Dolce is a part of. I have the 615mm Cadet, which I've grown surprisingly fond of, and I'm torn on whether to spend less for a Dolce or more for a 628mm Player to complement my Hill Master Series Rodriguez 640mm. Thanks for the help.
-Bob
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Fitness1 - I wish I could offer more specifics. I've been a steel string guy my whole life but have been drawn to my friends cheap nylon a lot lately. I like the relaxed string tension and the fact I can play for hours without any issues. I play a lot in dadgad and I don't even know if that's possible with nylon (I guess I can find out easily by retuning the Alvarez). I know a few simple classical pieces but thinking of more jazzy stuff - maybe some bossa. So the bottom line is I don't know what I don't know. Do I just go with a Taylor Nylon or venture out of my comfort zone.

Steve
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Cervantes Crossover 1?
Frankestein Tele
63 Hofner
Kala Uke
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Musical minimalist

Cervantes Crossover 1 is slightly more expensive than the PE (Palo Escrito) model. The PE's are from Paracho Mexico and fine tuned at Alejandro's shop I believe, the "1's" are built at his shop.

Might suggest going out and playing some true classicals and seeing how they feel to you. The flat freboard and wider nut could be problematic. However, if you are in search of the best tone and volume for your money, you will certainly get it in that form.

Also try to find the same guitar to play with a spruce and cedar top so you can get an idea what you are going to hear with that change. Talking about doing drop tunings, I would imagine you will find spruce more to your liking, and I'd consider 660 scale length like the older Yairi's.

Uoftheblues has a wonderful Yairi for sale in the classifieds....one of the best I had here over the last 10 years or so. Intonation was spot on and while warm and full, it had a nice treble "snap" to it. Great price too....

Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Hi Dadgad 4:

Acoustic Guitar magazine did a review and comparison of 6 hybrid nylon string guitars a couple of months ago in your price range. Here is the link to their website with a video of the review. I think you will find it helpful.

http://acousticguitar.com/leveltwo/ag239-2012-11.aspx

Scroll down to the 4th video. Happy hunting.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Try one among these

Taylor NS32-CE nylon string grand Concert Cutaway
Taylor NS34ce cutaway nylon-string acoustic-electric guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical